[Support] binhex - UrBackup

1 hour ago, Elmojo said:

I could, but even if that works, I don't think the resultant file would be of any use to me, since my goal is to be able to mount the VHD backup in VMWare or some other virtualization environment as an option.  In most cases, I would probably just restore the image back to the original VM, but I'd like the option to be able to mount the image in Windows or whatever, if I need to just pull a few keys files.

yeah, ok. This is why I was mixing terminology. I'll go the compressed route with the bootable ISO from URBackup.

@betaman@Elmojo, I know this is an 18 page thread right now, but I really, really recommend reading it all. Keep in mind the first few pages are teething issues with older versions of the software and getting it running in Unraid at all, so maybe just skim those, but really, I think reading through the whole thread will help to get some context on how things work.

I currently have 10 different machines actively backing up to one of my instances, and over the years have done many file level retrievals both directly from the server UI and the client app. I've also done a couple bare metal restores to brand new drives that went flawlessly, all this over WAN, as the Unraid server hosting my UrBackup instance is 10 miles or more from all but 2 of the machines or VM's it's protecting.

You can also set up UrBackup users with privileges to only manage the machines you assign to them, so when they log in to the UI they only see their backups.

This really can be business level backups, I've totally replaced carbonite for several people and saved them a bunch of money, since UrBackup happily manages Microsoft Server products, where any of the cloud services charge big $$$ for their server tiers. The people I do this for know up front what building their data is in, and how it's protected, instead of trusting a faceless corp.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, JonathanM said:

this is an 18 page thread right now, but I really, really recommend reading it all

I did start reading the first few pages, but saw that it was just bug reports and squashing, as you noted, so maybe I need to skip ahead a little and read the rest.  I don't know when I'll get time for that, but I'll add it to the 'to do' list.

Have you run into any issues with backups being very slow on local LAN?  Is that addressed somewhere in those 18 pages? lol

8 hours ago, Elmojo said:

Have you run into any issues with backups being very slow on local LAN?

No, but like I said, most of my usage is WAN, which is bandwidth limited anyway, usually by the client. Upload speeds are typically slow in my area. Also, I never really babysit backup jobs, they just happen when they happen, I look at the main page to see when the last backup was complete and investigate if a client hasn't backed up in a few days.

My metric for success is "better than other cloud solutions" so admittedly a pretty low bar.

16 hours ago, Elmojo said:

I did start reading the first few pages, but saw that it was just bug reports and squashing, as you noted, so maybe I need to skip ahead a little and read the rest.  I don't know when I'll get time for that, but I'll add it to the 'to do' list.

Have you run into any issues with backups being very slow on local LAN?  Is that addressed somewhere in those 18 pages? lol

See this post and subsequent responses:

hi, 

i a, just experimenting this as a replacement for another backup tool, 

i am noticing that most of the time the client is not connecting to the server

also on server side on logs i see 

DEBG 'urbackup' stdout output:

WARNING: SQLite: os_unix.c:36982: (40) openDirectory(/var/urbackup) - errorcode: 14

On 4/30/2021 at 9:36 AM, binhex said:

a umask of 777 means no permissions for user, group, or world, you need to change it back to 000 then re-run 'Docker Safe New permissions' one last time to fix up the damage.

So if the Umask is set to 000 in the docker settings, getting tower/nobody permissions is expected? If I want to be able to manually delete backups thru a Windows client should I set the umask to 775 or something else?

EDIT: actually the URBackup files can be deleted within my VM client even with tower/nobody. I'm having an issue with the new CA Backup which sounds like a few are having as well.

Edited by betaman