[Support] binhex - UrBackup

49 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

@Kilrah i made a template for Official container of urBackup it have newer version ... 

ofcourse no problems with binhex-urbackup ,but unfortunately we need to wait for arch compilation for the new version here :(

I've flagged it out of date on arch repo, any urgency in updating to the newer version?

24 minutes ago, binhex said:

I've flagged it out of date on arch repo, any urgency in updating to the newer version?

Sorry , i meaned we should wait for (https://github.com/funilrys/aur-urbackup2-server) compile , not you especialy,

you always have super fast updates :)

also not any urgency but have some fixes for datto and also that need to wait .... 

i just was have time to check official container ....

also i have a lot of your other cool conainers and linuxserver ,bitnami that also have to wait a lot more for newer versions ....

Hello,

I have been using my urbackup for a few years now, works great overall.  BUT every now and then I want to use the "cleanup" command and the "remove-unknown" command from the docker terminal.... and I get a lot of ERROR messages like "ERROR: Error deleting file '[the filename and path]"...    and ERROR: No permission to access "[filename and path]"....  thousands of them...

These are either files I am trying to clean up (like files for a  computer that we are no longer backing up anymore that has been removed from urbackup) or when trying to remove "unknown" files that are orphan files.

I am using urbackup in an unraid docker.. pretty normal setup.  I have it running with the highest priveledge and also "read and write" access to the unraid share...

Why am I getting these errors and how to I correct the permissions so that unraid can clean itself?

Thanks in advance,

George

unraid1.PNG

unraid2.png

i'm using urbackup and it works great. i used swag proxy to gain access from my urbackup.domain.com

everything backs up as i tell it to do. but when i use the bare metal restore from usb then it can't find the server at the domain.

now i'm a bit lost to what i should do. should something be done from inside the server or ?!?!

when i open a browser from within rescue usb stick. then i can find the server. just not from the restore part

• Upvote 1
On 5/21/2023 at 9:48 PM, GTM said:

Hello,

I have been using my urbackup for a few years now, works great overall.  BUT every now and then I want to use the "cleanup" command and the "remove-unknown" command from the docker terminal.... and I get a lot of ERROR messages like "ERROR: Error deleting file '[the filename and path]"...    and ERROR: No permission to access "[filename and path]"....  thousands of them...

These are either files I am trying to clean up (like files for a  computer that we are no longer backing up anymore that has been removed from urbackup) or when trying to remove "unknown" files that are orphan files.

I am using urbackup in an unraid docker.. pretty normal setup.  I have it running with the highest priveledge and also "read and write" access to the unraid share...

Why am I getting these errors and how to I correct the permissions so that unraid can clean itself?

Thanks in advance,

George

unraid1.PNG

unraid2.png

if i were you i would simply use the urbackup web ui to delete old file or image backups, i would not advise using the command line, that way there be dragons! :-), example shown below gives you simple button clicks to delete file and/or image backups.

image.thumb.png.e6d3a3868f0e08e62d11569db61afb65.png
As for your errors, i can only assume permissions have got messed up there somehow, you can try resetting permissions by deleting the file /config/perms.txt then restart the container, keep in mind this could take a LONG time to re-apply permissions so be very patient and wait for the web ui to be accessible, it MAY also have unexpected consequences (i've never tried reapplying permissions for urbackup data) so ensure you backup before you do this.

• Like 1
On 5/23/2023 at 1:26 PM, bubbadk said:

when i use the bare metal restore from usb then it can't find the server at the domain.

I've done multiple restores, and I remember something quirky in the process, but can't remember exactly what I tweaked. Do you have all three ports forwarded through? The server communicates through those upper ports IIRC, I don't think the web interface is used at all with a bare metal restore.

8 hours ago, JonathanM said:

I've done multiple restores, and I remember something quirky in the process, but can't remember exactly what I tweaked. Do you have all three ports forwarded through? The server communicates through those upper ports IIRC, I don't think the web interface is used at all with a bare metal restore.

If you can remember it that would be great. Because i can't find the error :)

and yes all poert are set in my router :)

On 5/23/2023 at 7:26 PM, bubbadk said:

i'm using urbackup and it works great. i used swag proxy to gain access from my urbackup.domain.com

everything backs up as i tell it to do. but when i use the bare metal restore from usb then it can't find the server at the domain.

now i'm a bit lost to what i should do. should something be done from inside the server or ?!?!

when i open a browser from within rescue usb stick. then i can find the server. just not from the restore part

From the doc:

9.1 Restoring image backups

Image backups can be restored with a Debian GNU/Linux based bootable CD/USB-stick. During image restore the machine to be restored must be reachable without network address tranlation from the server (or you forward the client ports in sections 10.3 to the restore client).

So those can't go over reverse proxy, they need direct server access.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

1628643734_Screenshot2023-07-01at00_07_57.thumb.png.ced181ab5de54c98b366b5468eb6c94b.pngHello to all. I need help regarding this issue (check above photo). I cannot access the UI (it just shows that it's loading)! I haven't done anything and yesterday it was working fine.

I need help with the problem. I did some google research but I don't understand the point. I don't use cache for the /media folder. urbackup sends it directly to array which is 4 disks all of them XFS.

What does it mean with BTRFS problem? 

thanks all in advance 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there guys,

I can’t for the life of me find any info on the process of restoring images to Mac or Linux machines. I understand Windows gets a bootable USB, but how does this work for the other platforms?

I run a real estate office predominantly using Windows machines but it’s not uncommon for agents to prefer to use Macs or already have their own.

Also, how would one use the image backups to restore without a network connection if needed?

This is a great piece of software but its biggest downside is that the documentation is severely lacking and heavily outdated in sections. Urbackup really need to get on that.  It took me days to get LDAP working and to learn how to properly get a reverse proxy + web socket without any port forwarding working for internet client backups, and not just the webui, or to even learn it supported web sockets 😅

Edited by Avsynthe
6 hours ago, Avsynthe said:

I can’t for the life of me find any info on the process of restoring images to Mac or Linux machines.

I haven't tried it, but a quick google gave me this.

https://blog.urbackup.org/368/linux-image-backups-with-urbackup-2-5-y

6 hours ago, Avsynthe said:

Also, how would one use the image backups to restore without a network connection if needed?

This method should work with local storage.

https://urbackup.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/US/pages/2981890/How+to+restore+via+command+line

1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

Thanks for this! So Linux seems super straight forward. Is it a similar auto generated command line process for Mac being FreeBSD based?

Edited by Avsynthe

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to get UrBackup to run on my system. I'll just describe briefly what my situation looks like.

I have an Unraid server next to my Windows 10 desktop machine directly connected via dedicated 2,5G nics (they have static IP addreses). 2,5G Connection via SMB is flawless. The Unraid server gets Internet access through a Wifi Bridge which is plugged in to Mobo's 1G nic. Unfortunately, my Wifi is very slow (only getting about 200MBs/s), so a backup via the 2,5G nic is mandatory. 

However, I can't seem to get this to work. Everytime I setup Urbackup it always starts backing up via Wifi.

I already tried setting the network type on the container to "custom: br1" to run it in the same network as my 2,5G nic in my desktop machine. If I than add a client in the webui and try to download the specific windows client I get the error message "ERROR: Signature verification failed".

Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong here, but is there any chance to get this setup working?

Edited by RAM4LIFE

Nevermind, I just figured it out. Had to open some ports on my firewall for Urbackup. After installing the general client, the server was able to find my PC. Now everything is working.

When trying to download the specific version though, I still get this error message "Signature verification failed". Weird...

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had issues mounting an image backup from the WebUI?

The WebUI tries to mount but it just endlessly keeps loading/spinning and doesn't come back with any errors.

The log shows the below multiple times, which I'm guessing is related to the issue:

ERROR: Cannot open "/media/DELL/231001-2019_Image_C/contents0": Permission denied (13)

I have to restart the Docker to stop the Mount attempt.

I'm a bit stuck.  I installed the docker, then installed the client, and began backing up my server.  After a full day it wasn't completed and somehow took up about 3TB of space on my UNRAID server.  So - I stopped the backup (or tried), but it would not stop.  Then I paused it on the client hoping that would help.  It did not.  Eventually I removed the Docker (and windows client) and looked for the backup files to remove them. All I saw were some folders under /media/urbackup  that I removed.

My UNRAID server still shows I have almost no disk space - so the files are out there somewhere.  I'm trying to get back to normal so that I can reclaim the diskspace and start new with urbackup - but can't seem to figure out where the backup files are stored.  

My initial backup problem, I believe, was a backup paths issue on the client where it showed the H:\ drive as a backup path even though images only showed volume C.  The H:\ drive is where I have a whole bunch of old VMs and is a USB drive.