[Support] binhex - UrBackup

3 hours ago, binhex said:

and the verdict is? 🙂

Unfortunately, life got in the way and I was not able to attempt the restore. I did get two of my systems to do an image backup with no problems and I plan on trying to switch from test to latest when I get home tonight.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:39 AM, binhex said:

edit - with the above in mind @secondsunrise as you are currently the only other confirmed user who has this running, are you by any chance running a cache drive formatted with XFS? or even no cache drive and targetting array for config?

My cache drive is formatted with btrfs. I'm also running a newer processor (i7-8700) than other folks who have posted in this thread so that may be why I was able to install the original docker image without issue. Haven't had a chance to try any backups yet.

• Like 1

just got some time to try a full system backup of my daily driver vm, then created a new vm, booted off the urbackup recovery media and restored, and voila it worked a treat!, restored vm booted up and everything works as expected yay!.

Note if you do try a restore then the machine you are restoring to (whether vm or physical) must have a disk/vdisk equal to or larger than the machine the backup was taken from, this includes used space AND importantly also free disk space, otherwise you wll receive a 'error GPT restore' when you attempted to restore.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I haven't had an opportunity to use the restore yet, but am glad to say that the docker is working for me. Any chance that we can have the ability to change the docker from host to it's own IP? I have a server I would like to use this on, however it suffers from a bug that cause the entire host to become unresponsive at random if dockers are on the same vlan as the host.

12 hours ago, dstark4 said:

Any chance that we can have the ability to change the docker from host to it's own IP?

there is nothing stopping you doing this yourself, however its completely untested in macvlan mode so you may have issues getting the urbackup server to communicate with the urbackup clients, i had this exact issue when attempting to use bridge mode, thus the switch to host mode.

Hello

Should i rerun all this with the :test flag or can i use de "normal" repo?
I also had a wife that got in the way, and the 3 kids, cat, dog and mother in law, xD its a full house here!

Best regards
Nuno Reis
Run with no tag now, you should be good

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, binhex said:

Run with no tag now, you should be good

Just installed it with privileged mode, my cache is btrfs.

No Problem to run a backup of a small Win 7 VM.

Will do more tests next week.

I run a Xeon E3-1220 v5, 32 GB Ram

Unraid 6.7.0

Best regards 

janndr

Edited by Janndr
51 minutes ago, ProphetSe7en said:

for clients to send backups to unraid?

This.

However, if you have two unraid servers, you could set up a VM with the urbackup client in one to backup to the server container on the other, and tell it to backup your shares. It won't be able to back up open files though.

15 hours ago, ProphetSe7en said:

Can I use this to make incremental backups from my shares on unraid? Backup documents, photos and some other shares to a backup share, or is this for clients to send backups to unraid?

Just to be clear of the 'normal' use case for urbackup - its generally used to backup VM's and physical machines on your LAN, for example backing up documents, pictures etc on Windows/Linux hosts, it can also do full machine backups so you can restore an entire machine should it get a virus/malware/bad update etc, in short a simple way to ensure any important 'stuff' floating around on your home LAN gets copied up to your urbackup server.

• Like 1
[mention=11148]binhex[/mention] So did you do anything to resolve the previous issue with the Urbackup Docker container?

Or was this issue resolved by the Urbackup team or via using privileged mode? 

Super excited to see this back in unRAID.

Hmm a good question, bit of a story on this. so firstly i was completely unaware that sparklyballs had previously created a docker image of urbackup, so when squid pm'd me linking me to the issues with it i was surprised to say the least!.

However i can confirm from my own personal experience so far i have seen none of the issues reported by sparklyballs, now onto why this might be...

So it's possible that urbackup dev's have made their app a little more docker friendly and fixed the issue, its also possible that its docker base os related, its also possible its a design difference, sparklyballs tended to use volume maps whereas i tend to use softlinks., maybe its cos im more awesome than sparklyballs  In short i don't actually know why the issue doesn't occur but for now im happy it doesn't :-).

BTW i am not 100% sure you need to run this privileged, i am NOT running it privileged, but my cache drive is formatted with XFS not BTRFS so that maybe why i can get away with it, you can certainly try running it non privileged and see how you get on (let me know).

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

This seems like a nice solution for my backup needs, but one question.

Can I install this docker on my main unRAID and remote unRAID to use one as server and one client or is this just server?.

Would be nice to have incremental backups of my smb shares that way without having to use a extra VM with a urBackup client for doing that.

Edit: Found a urBackup-Client docker on DockerHub (https://hub.docker.com/r/hejare/urbackup-client). Maybe this is something that I need in case that this docker aint able to be a client also

Edited by Sic79
Update
This seems like a nice solution for my backup needs, but one question.

Can I install this docker on my main unRAID and remote unRAID to use one as server and one client or is this just server?.
Would be nice to have incremental backups of my smb shares that way without having to use a extra VM with a urBackup client for doing that.
It's just the server, and tbh I very much doubt the client would run on slackware, esp with unraid OS being cut down. If I were doing backups from server to server I would simply use rsync.

32 minutes ago, binhex said:

It's just the server, and tbh I very much doubt the client would run on slackware, esp with unraid OS being cut down. If I were doing backups from server to server I would simply use rsync.

Ok, thanks for the answer :).

I have a few desktop and laptops computers also that need a backup-plan so I might use this for them and Rsync or something similar to the server then.

• 5 weeks later...

Got this working fine, (at least backups so far, not tried a restore yet).  Just a small note for those using a cache disk, don't do what I did and set the share used to use cache, urbackup creates a lot of symbolic links, especially as it starts doing incremental backups and will quickly swamp the log with broken link errors when the mover kicks in.

• 4 weeks later...