One Data Disk spinning up constantly

Hi Guys,

one of my data disks (disk 2) is spinning up 15 min. after it was spun down - constantly 

I was looking into my configuration and still have no clue on what is causing the spin up/down pattern that I see for this data disk (and the parity disk) in the system log.

I think it might have something to do with nextcloud running but as my nextcloud data is spread over more than one disk and the others do not show the same pattern my assumption might still be off.

Created current diagnostic file and tried to find some clues on my own but without any luck so far.

Can anyone look into my diagnostics or point me to where I could find some info on what is causing the spin up pattern of disk 2.

morpheus-diagnostics-20190730-2101.zip

In addition, while searching in the system log for some answers I found one warning and one error that is repeatedly reported in the logs.

Can someone tell me what they mean and if I should take action to resolve those entries.

I should add that I have not experienced any issues with any of my services running on the server despite the entries below but I'd still like to understand where they come from ;)

First one is the warning about the DHCP lease - This one is recorded at least once a day. I first thought that it might be connected to my recent change in networking gear but the same entry is also recorded before this change happened.

Jul 19 21:58:20 Morpheus dhcpcd[2004]: br0: failed to renew DHCP, rebinding

The second is an error message that seams to be related to my graphics card (wild guess) and is coming multiple times when I shut down my Win10VM with passthrue. But it is also recorded while booting the server.

Jul 30 23:01:01 Morpheus kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: AER: Corrected error received: 0000:00:1c.1
                 Jul 30 23:01:01 Morpheus kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
                 Jul 30 23:01:01 Morpheus kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: device [8086:a291] error status/mask=00002001/00002000

Jul 30 23:01:01 Morpheus kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: [ 0] RxErr (First)

Any hints would be appreciated

Repeated disk spin up is an absolutely pain in the backside to diagnose. You might want to install the file activity plugin and see if there's anything using something that may be in that disk. And then try running one docker of a time to see if it helps isolating which docker is the culprit. Otherwise there's no way to know.

With regards to your other errors.

• Ignore the DHCP warning. It basically says your IP is not being renewed by your DHCP server (usually the router) so Unraid is manually triggering renewal. As long as you don't have any network issue, you probably can ignore it. You can use static IP to see if it helps reduce the warning.
  • Try pcie_aspm=off but as far as I know those PCIe errors are generally harmless so probably can you ignore them.

• Like 1

Thanks @testdasi.

You are right, searching for disk spin up reasons is painfull, will install the plugin you suggested and see if this helps diagnosing the root cause.

Thanks for your reply to the error messages, as they are not leading to any issues on my services and/or vm's I will monitor them but otherwise ignore that they are there. Just wanted to know if there is anything to worry about but it seams not to be the case.

If I find a reason for the disk not wanting to sleep for more than 10-15 minutes I will report back here.

What would you say is more stress on the drives, running constantly or constantly spinning up and down? I am thinking of disabeling the automatic spin down alltogether because of the behaviour of disk2 and the parity disk.

12 minutes ago, Kevek79 said:

What would you say is more stress on the drives, running constantly or constantly spinning up and down? I am thinking of disabeling the automatic spin down alltogether because of the behaviour of disk2 and the parity disk.

Constantly spinning up and down is generally way worse than constantly on.