Both parity drives dropped from the array

Sitting at my desk minding my own business and I get an email alert telling me one of my parity drives was in an error state.  It is suppose to be mounted as SDE, but looking at the log it dropped and was added back as SDO in unassigned devices.  So I did the logical thing and first grab the diagnostics listed below.  Shut down the server, and checked the power and data cables to the drive.  Then boot it back up.  

When it comes back up, my other parity drive has dropped from the array.  However this time it does not show up in unassigned devices.  So I take another diagnostics.  Every 5-10 minutes it will show back up in the array in the green.  However when I click on it to look at the smart status it tells me the drive is not spun up, and of course I can't spin it up.  

Both these drives are attached to a LSI-2008 flashed in IT mode and connected via a SAS2 to four way SATA breakout cable.  None of the other drives on that same cable have any issues.  

So couple of concerns.  Both these drives were purchase from the same vendor at the same time and have been active (~1--2 years) for the same amount of time.  My system is now no longer protected (no mission critical data thankfully).  

So what do you think? Bad drives? Bad controller? Bad luck? 

Thanks! 

tower-diagnostics-20190730-2203.zip tower-diagnostics-20190730-2141.zip

Edited by guy2545

Doing some self diagnostics here.  The smart reports for both drives do not indicate any issues.  Given that none of the other drivers attached to the LSI-2008 are having issues, I think this narrows it down to one of two possibilities: 

1) Power issue to the parity drives

2) Specific damage to the specific SATA break out cables attached to the parity drives.  (unlikely)

Both of these are easy to rule out as I have additional open SATA ports. I also believe I have additional power options for the drives.  Unfortunately I can not explore these possibilities until tomorrow morning as I have pihole (VM) setup as the only DNS server and the wife is actively using the internet.  This just shows me I need an additional fail-over pihole setup as a backup.  

As a side note the system was only direct streaming a show locally at the time this occurred.  

Forgot to mention the system configuration:

AMD FX-8370 on a ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura with 32 GB of DDR3 RAM (Non-ECC)

Parity: 2x HGST NAS 4TB

Data: 7x WD Red NAS 3TB, 1x WD Red NAS 4tb (25TB Total)

Cache: Scandisk 480 480GB SSD

Unassigned: 2x Kingston 120GB SSDs

GPU: GTX 1060 for Plex (docker) Transcoding

Power supply: Name brand bronze level(?) 500W -- Calculators say I maybe pushing it and will be my next upgrade

Unraid PRO 6.7.2 (NVIDIA version) 

Edited by guy2545
I'm dumb.

So I fixed the power issue.  Both parity drives have shown back up in the array, however they are both marked as disabled.  I can see the smart status for both drives from the gui.  What is the proper way to re-enable the parity drives now that they have returned? 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, guy2545 said:

So I fixed the power issue.  Both parity drives have shown back up in the array, however they are both marked as disabled.  I can see the smart status for both drives from the gui.  What is the proper way to re-enable the parity drives now that they have returned? 

Thanks!

• Stop the array
  • unassign the parity drives
  • start the array to ‘forget’ the current assignments
  • stop the  array
  • assign the parity drives
  • start the array to start building parity.

this is basically the process any time you want to re-use a disabled drive without replacing it.