Disk rebuild failed

Hi All,

I recently had my first disk fail after many years of seamless operation.

I quickly rushed out and bought a new disk and installed it, replacing the failed disk (i will do some more in-depth testing once my array is back up).

Thankfully I had a valid parity. Overall I'm not to worried about loosing any pending writes as most of the data stored is media I can replace (with some personal data)

Once the new disk was installed, I proceeded with the rebuild process however at some point it looks like it has failed - Unraid then showed massive errors across a few disks including parity (e.g 3000000000) which i think looks to be a false value. My log drive also fills up and crashes the GUI by the time I wake up to see the rebuild failed. The disk also seems to have the correct files on it from what i can tell, but unraid always begins a new rebuild once i add it into the config.

I tried rebuilding a few times but always get the same result. I am unsure that I have captured the right logs and have since rebooted the server. I am too scared to try another rebuild as some of my disks are old. 

I have backed up the data on the emulated disk ... but i am not sure what the best approach is to get my array back to a healthy state.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (new config perhaps?)

Appreciate any feedback

(with new disk) tower-diagnostics-20190730-0540.zip (with original disk) tower-diagnostics-20190722-0247.zip

On 7/31/2019 at 6:48 AM, johnnie.black said:

Possibly controller related, Marvell controllers are known to drop disks, try with a different one if you have the option.

I can try and move the disk  that is dropping onto another controller....
I have heard that if you update the firmware on the controller then this problem can be mitigated... Anyone know how I could update the drivers or firmware? I cant seem to see any software updates for the controller listed on the website...
http://www.iocrest.com/en/product_details277.html
The other recommended controllers seem to be very expensive to my uses...

Could there be any other reason why I would get errors?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 6:48 AM, johnnie.black said:

Possibly controller related, Marvell controllers are known to drop disks, try with a different one if you have the option.

I moved the drive that I was rebuilding to the onboard controller (which required an RDM) and the rebuild completed successfully!
What a crap controller.... seems impossible to get a firmware update for it...