ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3 Level 1 Testing

What are the bios settings required on this board when using it with unraid?

I cleared the CMOS with the jumper pins, disabled everything  I didn't need (which is pretty much everything) except USB and LAN. SATA controller set to IDE. The USB drive I left in Auto as anything over 512MB it sets as HDD anyway and mine is a 2GB flash drive. Boot hard drives all disabled except flash drive and boot order just flash drive.

As above mate. You don't have to change much if you don't want to I just disable a lot of stuff as it isn'e being used so will reduce chance of conflicts and speed boot up time. If you leave it all enabled it won't make much difference (only the AHCI).

you just have to make sure the Boot HDD order is set so that the USB is the only one or the first one and the boot order is the USB first.

I think the wiki also has some info.

Let us know if you have any issues

Josh

Hello,

NCIX in Vancouver finally got my forward breakout cables, so I picked up the card and cables on Saturday ...

Plugged everything in and with AHCI ON booted without problems into both Windows 7 64-bit and then unRaid 4.6-rc3.

Currently I have one WD dual proc 1 TB drive on /dev/sda or motherboard SATA Port 1.

I just finished using EvilPenguins wrapper for handbrake to compress all of my media about a month ago, so I went from 11 TB of raw Mpeg2 SD recordings down to less than 3TB of h.264 MKV's.

So now ... I have a few hard drives I can take out of my first unRaid pro server for testing this combination ...

Is there any way I can completely rewrite parity on the parity drive without loosing parity? and remove a few drives at the same or similar time?

(One annoying pending sector on the parity drive)

or just remove the drives in question and then rebuild parity?  keeping an eagle eye on that parity drive  ;)

Remove Drive Without Losing Parity

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2591.msg20919#msg20919

-  The last time I tried to do this for more than one drive before rebooting it triggered a parity rebuild.

Thanks for your time,

Bobby

syslog attached ...

I guess I can only use four processors with unRaid 4.6-rc3 ....

syslog-2010-11-28.txt

Here's my syslog after completing a parity build ...

I have a 1TB drive for Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit on the Motherboard

For unRaid I have 4 drives on the Supermicro card and one more on the motherboard for a total of five drives under unRaid.

(trying to use ports on the motherboard and the both groups on the Supermicro card)

I forgot to install the AHCI drivers in Windows 7 and had to switch to IDE Compatability to compress some shows ...

When I went back to unRaid I forgot to switch the BIOS back to AHCI.

After compressing some more shows today ... I'll change the BIOS to AHCI for a parity check.

syslog-2010-12-06.txt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, im looking at getting this board to use for a new (first) unraid server.

Have you had any issues other then the supermicro card?

i'll be using WD/Seagate drives. I do have 1 samsung, but its a 500GB. Don't think its a F3, so will hopefully run with the controller at 6Gbps.

If not, i have a SAS card i'll be using.

How much/what type of RAM are you running in the machine?