Can i create another "user" with limited access?

Hi all 

Long and short of this I can login to Unraid using "root" username and turn on/off VM's etc however i want to create another user than can just login to turn on and off 1 specific VM (actually its a Docker not a VM) its a game Docker i have setup for some friends (a game server) it now and then needs restarting from the home page and i want 1 user to be able to login to unraid and simply be able to "restart" that 1 docker but have no access to any other dockers or file systems etc. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Randall8686
11 minutes ago, Randall8686 said:

Hi all 

Long and short of this I can login to Unraid using "root" username and turn on/off VM's etc however i want to create another user than can just login to turn on and off 1 specific VM (actually its a Docker not a VM) its a game Docker i have setup for some friends (a game server) it now and then needs restarting from the home page and i want 1 user to be able to login to unraid and simply be able to "restart" that 1 docker but have no access to any other dockers or file systems etc. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance. 

Unfortunately not.  Access to the Unraid GUI is an all-or-nothing option.

43 minutes ago, Randall8686 said:

thank you for the answer, not what i wanted to hear but hey ho, I will have to try and find another solution to remotely restart the docker container without access to the GUI

This is hardly an ideal solution, but you could script a restart that looked for a specific file to exist on a user share. Run the script on a cron every minute or so, if the file exists, delete the file and docker restart container.

Then all you have to do is figure out remote access for a location on the array, which can be handled MANY different ways, some more secure than others. You could, for instance, set up nextcloud, with a sync for that user, and when they create a reboot.me file in their nextcloud sync folder it triggers the script.

10 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

This is hardly an ideal solution, but you could script a restart that looked for a specific file to exist on a user share. Run the script on a cron every minute or so, if the file exists, delete the file and docker restart container.

Brilliant freaking idea! 😱

Using rclone + gdrive I can essentially do this (and more) without needing VPN or exposing my server to the Internet.

Edited by testdasi

Not tested this, but as far as I know the ControlR Plugin in combination with a vpn connection could do the trick.

Checkout ControlR-App.

I am using ControlR to start and stop dockers or VM's and from the developers description you should be able to configure access per user (But as metioned I have not tested the User Access portion of this plugin/app combo).

Maybe that is an option for your usecase

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

Brilliant freaking idea! 😱

Using rclone + gdrive I can essentially do this (and more) without needing VPN or exposing my server to the Internet.

Yeah, it'll work to start and stop containers, vm's, anything you want to do with a command line script. It just takes some time and smarts to set it up, it's not exactly noob friendly.

It's also not good for time sensitive stuff. Depending on how you set it up, you could be waiting several minutes for the action to be applied. At least you have feedback, as the trigger file can be deleted or modified to indicate success.

Edited by jonathanm
Added info