[Solved] cache disks removed from pool

In a bit of a pickle and a bit lost :/

I went to add an m.2 ssd, so i powered down the server, installed it, powered back on. Now two of my cache ssd's from the btrfs pool are removed from the pool and are un-mounted. When i mount them and view the files, all of the data is still there. Since, i've removed the m.2 drive hoping it was some I/O error.

If i use unassigned devices and put them back into the pool, it says that data will be erased.. i'm hesitant to do so. I'm not sure if it's one of those things that 'it always says' or not. 

If there's nothing i can do about it by just clicking around, is there a way (since i can see all of the files still) to copy them off to the hdd array and copy them back to the cache once it's "fixed"?

Thanks a lot folks! :)

Annotation 2019-08-02 081931.png

Hey, i think i fixed it - (i'm sure there's a MUCH easier way) but i had an old flash drive backup. I assume this will only work if you haven't changed your drives since the backup.

I went into the backup, copied the super.dat and disk.cfg over to the flash and rebooted. Restored everything the way it was.

If there is a better way, please share :) 

1 hour ago, jonfive said:

If i use unassigned devices and put them back into the pool, it says that data will be erased.. i'm hesitant to do so. I'm not sure if it's one of those things that 'it always says' or not. 

You did well not proceeding, as the pool would be lost, problem is solved for now but the solution would be to unassign the existing cache device, start the array so Unraid "forgot" cache configuration, then re-assign all devices, you'd still get all blue icons for new devices but without the "data will be deleted" warning, and as long as the existing pool was valid it would mount correctly.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You did well not proceeding, as the pool would be lost, problem is solved for now but the solution would be to unassign the existing cache device, start the array so Unraid "forgot" cache configuration, then re-assign all devices, you'd still get all blue icons for new devices but without the "data will be deleted" warning, and as long as the existing pool was valid it would mount correctly.

that's a whole lot easier and more streamlined than copy pasting random text from old cfg files :P Thanks a lot! I've got a ton to learn yet - but i learn a little more with every problem. 

• jonfive changed the title to [Solved] cache disks removed from pool