Cannot boot with GPU

GPU: (AMD Radeon RX580)

Since Ryzen 3700x has no integrated graphics, I had a GPU plugged in the first time I booted unraid. It started but just kept saying "amd-vi: completion-wait loop timed out." Eventually, I just shut it off, removed the GPU and it booted up fine. IOMMU is enabled in the BIOS and SVI is also enabled. I rebooted again, this time, I checked the BIOS to make sure the m.2 ssd is detected; it is but it's not showing in unraid.

UPDATE:

System boots and detected the GPU only if IOMMU is disabled. 

Parts:

• Crucial 32GB CT2K16G4DFD8266 ECC
  • EVGA 650W Supernova GQ 80+ Gold
  • DELL YT674 PRO/1000 VT PCI-E NIC 4-PORT GIGABIT SERVER ADAPTER EXPI9404VT
  • (AMD Radeon RX580 8GB)
  • WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS500G1B0C

• Model: Custom

M/B: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Version 

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version P2.50 (7/25/2019)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core @ 3600 MHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 512 KiB, 4096 KiB, 32768 KiB

Memory: 32 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 128 GiB)

Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500 
     eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500 
     eth1: interface down
     eth2: interface down
     eth3: interface down
     eth4: interface down

Kernel: Linux 4.19.56-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.1.1c

Edited by TarrifMan
updates

SSDs in the array are not recommended. They cannot be trimmed, some implementations might invalidate parity, and in any case they can't be written faster than parity anyway so I don't know why you would want to do this.

SSDs in the cache pool or as Unassigned Devices is what everyone else does.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, trurl said:

SSDs in the array are not recommended. They cannot be trimmed, some implementations might invalidate parity, and in any case they can't be written faster than parity anyway so I don't know why you would want to do this.

SSDs in the cache pool or as Unassigned Devices is what everyone else does.

Thanks, I'll use it as cache then.

• 2 weeks later...

For my ignorance, I'm contemplating upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600 setup.  Do I NEED a graphics card to run unRAID?  I'm coming from an old crusty i3-6100 with integrated graphics.  I do not use any VMs yet, so I'm not worried about having to pass it thru.  I just want to make sure that the mobo will POST without a graphics card and that unRAID will work.

Thank you in advance.

33 minutes ago, Oakley707 said:

For my ignorance, I'm contemplating upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600 setup.  Do I NEED a graphics card to run unRAID?  I'm coming from an old crusty i3-6100 with integrated graphics.  I do not use any VMs yet, so I'm not worried about having to pass it thru.  I just want to make sure that the mobo will POST without a graphics card and that unRAID will work.

Thank you in advance.

You don't need a GPU.  Whether or not the motherboard will boot however without a GPU is something dependent upon it itself.  At the very least, you WILL require a GPU to at least setup the boot order in BIOS.

• Like 1