No access to server after new network card

Hi

I have installed a new network card after having issues with the internal nic on motherboard.

After trying a lot back and forward I can now get access out from server so that I can update plugins, dockers etc, but there is no way to enter it through LAN or internet.

Any ideas on how to correct the issue?

For information I have followed the tips given below to drcox1911 and have come to the point where everything looks great. I just can log in to the webui of the server from other computer on LAN or through internet.

Really appreciate any help

syslog

Edited by mrvilla

Hi Frank. Thanks for replying.

I was about to do the diagnostic, but I figured out some of the issue when my son asked my to forward a port to his minecraft server. I suddenly remembered that I had no port forwarding to my server in my router anymore. After fixing that it all worked again. Only for https but that is ok.

So for the moment I can at least use my server from external:)

11 minutes ago, mrvilla said:

I was about to do the diagnostic, but I figured out some of the issue when my son asked my to forward a port to his minecraft server. I suddenly remembered that I had no port forwarding to my server in my router anymore. After fixing that it all worked again. Only for https but that is ok.

I hope to hell that you mean that you're forwarding a port to something like OpenVPN, and not forwarding 443 directly to 443 without running a VPN

34 minutes ago, Squid said:

I hope to hell that you mean that you're forwarding a port to something like OpenVPN, and not forwarding 443 directly to 443 without running a VPN

No I do not use Open VPN. Not exactly sure how to implement it when using www.no-ip.com address to host my web adress.

5 hours ago, mrvilla said:

No I do not use Open VPN. Not exactly sure how to implement it when using www.no-ip.com address to host my web adress.

Access to your server from the outside world should be via VPN or reverse proxy/Letsencrypt, ZeroTier, etc. with ports forwarded only to applications (such as OpenVPN, Plex, etc).  Never open ports directly on your server or it is only a matter of time before you are hacked.  It is not clear that you are actually doing that, so perhaps the warning is not necessary.

I use OpenVPN and have a No-IP host name for DDNS

Just enter your No-IP hostname rather than the public IP address of your server in the OpenVPN server settings if you have an interest in using OpenVPN.

openvpn noip.PNG

Edited by Hoopster
7 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Access to your server from the outside world should be via VPN or reverse proxy/Letsencrypt, ZeroTier, etc. with ports forwarded only to applications (such as OpenVPN, Plex, etc).  Never open ports directly on your server or it is only a matter of time before you are hacked.  It is not clear that you are actually doing that, so perhaps the warning is not necessary.

I use OpenVPN and have a No-IP host name for DDNS

Just enter your No-IP hostname rather than the public IP address of your server in the OpenVPN server settings if you have an interest in using OpenVPN.

openvpn noip.PNG

I did try the letsencrypt some time ago but did not succeed in configure it correctly. Since several people uses the nextcloud server I was afraid of messing up my setup and just went back to ordinary setup.

I wanted to use VPN, but then again I was unsure on how to set that up.

Everyone says it so easy to use this server but to be honest I think it is really really difficult. Everytime I log into the server I'm scared shitless of doing something wrong. It is working now but it is probably just a matter of days before something happends again, and messing around with VPN or letsencrypt seems really advanced.

But based on your post I will try this when I come home to see if it actually is so easy;)

Is the screenshot from the OpenVPN app in unraid?

5 hours ago, mrvilla said:

Is the screenshot from the OpenVPN app in unraid?

Yes, the screenshot is from the Linuxserver.io OpenVPN docker container webUI.

It is easy to setup and basically involves the following steps.

1 - install the docker container

2 - open the webUI and login using the default credentials 

3 - follow the instructions in the Application Setup section of the readme to setup up logins that survive container updates and reboots

4 - configure the appropriate server settings, network settings, ports, etc. in the OpenVPN-AS webUI

5 - forward the appropriate port(s) in your router config

6 - download a user-locked .ovpn profile from the docker container webUI

7 - import the .ovpn profile into the OpenVPN client on those devices from which you will access the server remotely

If you get stuck, post your questions in the OpenVPN-AS support thread and be sure to read the readme at Github or Dockerhub as linked in the first post of the support forum.

Many routers have OpenVPN server built in and if your router is powerful enough, you can setup OpenVPN on the router instead of the unRAID server.  For my purposes, OpenVPN on unRAID works very well and my router does not have direct OpenVPN support without a lot of manual configuration.

Edited by Hoopster
On 8/3/2019 at 3:33 PM, mrvilla said:

After trying some more I can now log into my server and nextcloud

I just noticed that remote Nextcloud access seems to be a priority for you and for users of your server.

Both OpenVPN and ZeroTier (both of which I use) are VPN based applications and are more suited to remote unRAID server and application management which is my primary need.

For accessing application UIs a reverse proxy is a better solution.

You mentioned you already tried Letsencrypt and found it too complicated.  You might want to try Nginx Proxy Manager.  It is also a reverse proxy solution and appears to be much easier to configure and use than Letsencrypt.  I have it installed but have never taken the time to get it setup.  I should do that 😀.

Edited by Hoopster