HTPC frequently rebooting

DigitalDivide

I need a little help figuring out a problem with my HTPC.  I just bought a Gigabyte H55m-USB3 MB, i3-530CPU and 2 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 PC3 RAM, and a 60GB SSD.  After installing everything I find my system frequently rebooting itself.  I don't have to be doing anything special, it can just be sitting on the home screen and it will reboot.  I have no idea what's causing it but my first though is it may be the RAM.  In the MB Bios do I need to set anything for the RAM?  I've updated my MB Bios to the latest version.

I need a little help figuring out a problem with my HTPC.  I just bought a Gigabyte H55m-USB3 MB, i3-530CPU and 2 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 PC3 RAM, and a 60GB SSD.  After installing everything I find my system frequently rebooting itself.  I don't have to be doing anything special, it can just be sitting on the home screen and it will reboot.  I have no idea what's causing it but my first though is it may be the RAM.  In the MB Bios do I need to set anything for the RAM?  I've updated my MB Bios to the latest version.

Latest MB usually will negotiate memory speed automatically, you don't need to do anything unless you want to over-clock/down-clock.

I will start with memtest, you can boot your system up with a free version of unRAID then run the built-in memtest program when you see the unRAID boot menu.

This isn't on my unraid server but my htpc.

He knows, but if you can plug in a flash drive loaded with the unRAID distribution on your HTPC, and then press F12 (or whatever the BIOS needs to present a custom boot choice) to select the flash drive to boot from, and then start the MEMORY test in its start-up menu, you can test the memory. 

Joe L.

Well, things seem to have stabilized.  I think the problem might have been the Gigabyte EasyTuner 6 software.  I realized that each time my system rebooted I had tried starting ET 6.  Every time I tried to run ET 6 I could see my hard drive light flashing but the program wouldn't load up onscreen.  I just figured it wasn't working properly and just started using my pc.  Eventually it crashed.  The last 2 days I've been running my pc without trying to run ET 6, running a blu ray moving etc and so far no rebooting.  I'll keep an eye on it for a bit and see what happens. 

I like the idea of the popping in the flash drive from my server.  I'll give that a try on the weekend maybe.

Archived