Controller issues / drive disappeared

I have some issues with my M1015 controller card.

One harddisk got disabled by an error, which was likely caused by a cable/controller rather than a harddisk error.

Upon rebooting Unraid, the disk completely disappeared (disk 12) and I can no longer see the disk at all. It shows unassigned.

Coincidentally, my cache drive also shows "unassigned". I had an NVME assigned to it before reboot. I can re-add it (the NVME shows). It then shows "blue" (not "green"), which seems strange as this was working before the renboot.

Any thoughts? Log attached.

tower-diagnostics-20190804-0123.zip

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Same old controller issue I am facing 😞

Thought it was solved, but seems it is back. I wish it was a cabling issue, but very unlikely. I just fail to get the M1015 to run stable.

Will spend some more time on it over the weekend. Maybe a dedicated fan for the M1015 will help. It gets incredibly hot, which is what I believe is causing the unstable connection of disks connected to the M1015.

Oh... Very interesting... I never had a single failed disk on a disk connected to the onboard controller. Also disk 12 is on the M1015.

So, this is something different this time. Let me unplug and replug disks 9 and 13. Will get back with a new log shortly.

If error remains on non-M1015 disks, I'll do the recabling. This is indeed new!

3 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Interesting, let me try this as well. You are referring to something like: https://www.analogueseduction.net/contact-treatment/cdeo[1].html

Where do you apply this to? The mobo or the cable (both sides?) or the HD?

I was using the Red version to 'clean' the contacts and then the Gold version to re-plate the contacts.   I just did it to the drives (I have hot-swap cages), but I cannot see how using it on the other parts in the connection path can cause an issue as long as you are careful about it.

Got it. So, you applied it directly to the drives itself (where the sata cable connects to). First "red", then "gold" right thereafter. No drying or anything, just apply one after the after? It is a new thing that I haven't tried out yet. While I still suspect the over-heating of the controller card to be the primary issue, it's worth to give it a shot to rule out all options. Also, the over-heating may be even more severe since I added a meaningful number of 10Tb drives. I remember that a few years ago, I could solve the issue by only connecting 7 instead of 8 disks (or running two controller cards each with 4 disks). I believe this may have helped to reduce heat?

1 minute ago, steve1977 said:

Got it. So, you applied it directly to the drives itself (where the sata cable connects to). First "red", then "gold" right thereafter. No drying or anything, just apply one after the after? It is a new thing that I haven't tried out yet

I applied the Red version; left it for about 10 minutes; used a cotton bud to clean off any excess left; applied the Gold version; left that for about 5 minutes; plugged the drive back in.  If I have any reason to take the system apart I might do the SATA cables as well, and possibly even those inside the hot-swap cages.