Controller issues / drive disappeared

20 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Got it. So, you applied it directly to the drives itself (where the sata cable connects to). First "red", then "gold" right thereafter. No drying or anything, just apply one after the after? It is a new thing that I haven't tried out yet. While I still suspect the over-heating of the controller card to be the primary issue, it's worth to give it a shot to rule out all options. Also, the over-heating may be even more severe since I added a meaningful number of 10Tb drives. I remember that a few years ago, I could solve the issue by only connecting 7 instead of 8 disks (or running two controller cards each with 4 disks). I believe this may have helped to reduce heat?

You can try to mount a fan directly to the heat sink of your controller card to rule out any overheating issues as well.

If the heat sink is the same size than on the LSI cards, this 40mm fan might be of interest to you.

Noctua NF-A4x10

All those SAS cards are made for servercases with high airflow, and they dont play well in a standard tower without propper airflow over and around the card. (Especially during summer months ;) )

Edited by Kevek79
additional info
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In anticipation of the heater issue being present after controller card change, I have bought the following fan. I haven't installed it as it seems more difficult than I anticipated to set it up correctly. A bit more than plug & play ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Adjustable-Dual-Cooler-TTC-SC07TZ/dp/B008A2TDC6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Titan+TTC-SC07TZ(RB)+VGA&qid=1566294846&s=gateway&sr=8-1

10 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks, very helpful. Have you ever experienced any heat issues with your controller card? Even if just plugged in for a few minutes, it gets incredibly got (if touching the heat sink).

Mine never seems to get to hot to touch so heat does not seem to be a problem for me.   I am using a LSI 9201-16i card.

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

Not sure though whether Unraid will allow me to rebuild the array after changing controller connections.

Unraid does not normally care how the disks are connected - it recognizes the disks by their serial numbers.   The only time you might have any issues is when the controllers involved report the serial numbers in different formats.

Even weirder... Now after the cable swap, it is the first time that disk 13 shows an issue. It shows that disk 13 has no file system. Shall I start in diagnostic mode and try to get it back?

And funny enough, it started to rebuild the disk 12. Not very fast, but faster than before... So, it seems the cable change may have helped with something?

I know I know... Sorry for unclear communication. It is the first time disk 13 shows visibly issues. Before. it doesn't show read errors in the GUI and shows as "green".

Let me go to maintenance mode and make oit mountable again.

Does the latest diagnostic still shows errors? I have changed the cable for disk 13 (but not for any other disk). Brand new cable!

Got it, thanks!

So, it appears that a cable issue of disk 13 caused disk 12 to fail and disappear. Disk 13 itself never showed any read or other errors (except in log). Is this somewhat explainable and makes sense?

I remember you'd mentioned disk 9 also showing some issues earlier? Assume it may be worth to change the cable as well?

4 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

So, it appears that a cable issue of disk 13 caused disk 12 to fail and disappear.

Unlikely to be related, IIRC disk 12 was on a different controller.

4 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

I remember you'd mentioned disk 9 also showing some issues earlier? Assume it may be worth to change the cable as well?

Yes, there were only a few errors, much less than disk13, still worth replacing it.

I had an LSI controller (on a Dell H310 card) that had problems with overheating. So I removed the heatsink and found that the thermal compound was completely dry. In fact it crumbled into pieces and fell off as I removed the heatsink. I cleaned up what remained with isopropyl alcohol and applied a small amount of Arctic MX-2 before replacing the heatsink and that fixed the problem without the need of an extra fan.