[solved] Missing files and missing key

Something very strange happened on my Unraid server.   I went to copy some files over to a television show folder.   I noticed that all the files except one were missing.  There were probably 60+ files in there arranged by season.  Only season folder was present with only 1 file in it.  Previously that folder had 16 files in it. 

So, I thought I would reboot it and see if perhaps there was an issue with the folder cache plugin or something else. 

On reboot, the array didn't start.   I saw this message:

Invalid, missing or expired registration key.

So, I clicked the registration key link.  It told me there should be a key file in the Config folder.  I do not see a key file there.   But the flash drive seems to be working fine otherwise.  I have a copy of the key.   

But, I wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts about why files and the key would be missing or what I should or should not do.

Edited by derekos

I backed up the flash drive on that Unraid server on 06/30.  So, I am able to look at the current flash drive vs. the old.  The following files are missing from config/ 

disk.cfg

Pro.key

shadow

share.cfg

smbpasswd

How could this happen?  It seems very strange that files would be missing from my array disks and from my flash drive. 

10 hours ago, derekos said:

I noticed that all the files except one were missing.  There were probably 60+ files in there arranged by season.  Only season folder was present with only 1 file in it.

Most likely you have something like this

/mnt/user/ShowName/Season1  Season2 etc

and

/mnt/user/showname/Season1 Season2 etc

Because ShowName and showname are identical folders only differing in case, unRaid will only export one of them (mainly because Windows has an extreme hissy fit when presented with folders only differing by case and does all sorts of weird stuff)

If you go to the main tab, then click the little folder icon next to each drive you'll be able to explore the contents of each drive and see if this is indeed the case.

Hi Squid, 

Great information, thank you.   

I removed the Unraid Flash drive, popped it in Windows 10, ran CheckDisk which fixed errors and then copied over the files from the 6/30 backup.  Then I rebooted and checked each disk.  All had the same CaSe.   Fortunately, after fixing the flash drive - everything reappeared and no files were lost. 

Thanks!