Hardware issue, can Unraid help?

So as my signature says I have a HP z820 workstation, and was looking to install additional graphics cards in it. Got a 1080 I want to put in and assign to a VM and a quadro 4000 I was to use for transcoding if I can get away with the two in my power budget. Got a GT 710 that am using for the unraid graphics card btw.

Problem is that the HP workstation throws an error when there are more than one card is installed and then wont boot. I can get it to boot by disabling the PCI slot that the other cards are in. Would there be a way in Unraid to then re-enable these once the system has booted?

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions

57 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Off the wall suggestion.  Have you checked out to see if a BIOS upgrade might solve this problem?

Good point, just upgraded from v3.5 to v3.95 

Still the same issue, and had a heart stopper at one point thinking I'd bricked it. That moment when you start it up again and nothing displays for ages!!!

Thanks tho

53 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Have you tried Googling the problem?   You are most interested in finding a way to get the server to boot with both cards in it.

Basically yes, I've tried most posts talk about putting two of the same cards in sadly.

What would be cool is if Unraid can reenable the Pci slot when booted, but I'm guessing that is going to be a long shot.

• 4 months later...

Right so a bit of an update, finally moved into a new house only after 9 months of waiting *sigh*

Anyways I found that changing the Video cards to EFI mode from legacy allowed the machine to boot and all the cards show up in Unraid and have even pass through the 1080 I was planning for the machine. Score!

However I don't seem to get Unraid on any of the display outputs that are linked with the machine. Does anyone have an idea why that might be?