First Build, planning phase

Mr.Sax

Hey Guys,

i never build a server rig before and i would be grateful if you could help me with the planning phase. I already digged deap into a lot of forums and checked multiple

videos about unraid in general. So i am aware of some points but still just at the start of the unraid journey :).

Especially when it comes to the hardware selection i am a bit lost. There are so many different kind of solutions out that i am not sure which way to go is the right way.

My Requirements are fairly simple, i would like to get a media server, nextcloud as a file server and a vm win10 running. The VM is not for gaming more for browsing in general. I would also like to play around with all the different dockers and plugins in the future, dont know if i need more RAM therefore!?

I will need 3-6TB of space so i decided already to go with 3x 3TB NAS Red WD. As a case i would like to use the Fractal Design Node 804. For the PSU i want to go with a high rated seasonic. 

But then the guessing starts :)

Do i need the power of a big ryzen eventhough it is actually pretty cheap to get one of the 2. gen atm or should i just go with some more powerless.

I do want to keep the electricity bill down but want to have space for some future projects with the server.

Next question, is a ryzen the way to go or should i stick with intel? And if i stick with intel which cpu would you select?

My budget is around 500€(without the storage drives), but it is expandable if there is a good reason to do so.

My current plan was going for an ryzen7 2700X with an ASROCK B450M Pro 4 MOBO and an 16 GB Vengence 3200Mhz CL16 RAM.

Since i dont need that many drives i thought the 4 Sata connectors would be enough and if i need more i can go for an Sata Extension Card. 

Could this be a way to go? Do i need a graphics card at all or is it right that i can use the webui from a different pc to do all the settings?

Also i have space for an Graphics Card in the PCIe 16x  and an Lan Card in the PCIe 4x slot. Correct me if i am wrong.  

If there is anybody out there using something similar. do you know how much watt your system is drawing while idleing?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings 

Mr. Sax