5.25 to 3.5 best options with dust filters, hotswap be a bonus

Have a Fractal XL R2 that I am rebuilding old server into and migrating to unRAID. Looking to expand storage using the 3 - 4 of the 5.25 bays, priorities are quiet and easy to clean dust filters, easy drive swapping be a bonus.

Would like something that I can swap drives easily, noise is a factor as this lives in living room. Seems all the favorite hot swap cages don't have to dust filters. Just read through sticky thread here and did't see and conversation about easy to clean dust filters on 5.25 to 3.5 bay adapters. 

Found MB074SP-1B seems to be one of the few, I have found searching for a couple hours but availability here is poor be an import, some report poor cooling.

This also this has a filter but not great looking due to poor drive swapping method and vibration dampening is not individual per HDD so they share vibration in the 3 pack cage and crappy quality - HD-AR-RBK

Or do folks use the traditional iStar, Supermicro, Norco hotswaps and put something like this or this in front, not sure about magnetic mount as XL R2 front is plastic so would need to grab the cage or perhaps better add-on dust filter options for commonly used 5.25 to 3.5 adapters that I am missing, or other versions with built in filters.

Final piece of my build proving a harder box to check than I thought it would be :)

Im currently using these in my Define case to replace my 4- 5.25" bays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032UUGF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it doesnt have quick swap capability, but theyre quiet and they also have a filter that is easily cleanable. I replaced the fans with these Noctua's as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEMG9K6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 1

If you want an integrated front fan filter, you pretty much lose the hotswap option (unless you choose that less than ideal Icy Dock option which has plenty of issues). Lian Li, however, has in the past made several hard drive cages that have vibration absorbing grommets, front fan filters, and can hold at least 4 HDD’s with some also holding 2 SSD’s. The EX-36B1 is a good representation. There are plenty of variations, costs aren’t too bad, and it might take some hunting on your part but they should be great for what you are looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-EX-36B1-Black-Rack/dp/B004K1HD9G

• Upvote 1

Thank-You both for the ideas and feedback.

Was definitely considering the EverCool option as I could fill all four of the available 5.25 slots and gain six 3.5 slots. You swapped to Noctuas in your EverCool, were the stock fans loud or under performing?

That said I also am thinking a three 5.25 by four 3.5 is more space than I intend to use anyways and I can then throw a better fan controller in the remaining slot and be able optimize running temp of my HDD a little better (Goldilocks not to cold, not to hot lol). So had been looking at the Icy Dock, but plenty of issues does not sound good. Main issue I found folks talking about was drives running hot in it, what else should I be aware of if you don't mind.

Had not found those Lian Li options in the searching i did the other day, it looks very promising thank-you for sharing the link. I am off to find availability of one in Canada or import cost, might be a winner.

With regards to the EverCool 2x5.25" -> 3x3.5". I have two and the biggest problem with it is that the fan is very ineffective in cooling 3x3.5" drives i.e. the disks run hot (very hot). You can potentially replace the fan but then it's not easy to find thin small fans with high static pressure.

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

it's not easy to find thin small fans with high static pressure.

Sure it is. They just sound like jet engines. 😀 Ok, the thin part maybe. But small fans with high static pressure are a dime a dozen in 1U servers.

Now, trying to find a small thin quiet fan with high static pressure pretty much defies the laws of physics, at least with an axial fan. Problem is, I don't think anyone makes a centrifugal fan that fits in the space needed.

Well like the look of Lian Li EX-36B1 but can't find stock anywhere shipping to Canada  :/ Found a Lian Li EX-332 that looks similar but only three 3.5 so less density.

Any opinions on Lian Li EX-H34A or Lian Li EX-H33SX I can find some stock of them but in general more out of stock Lian Li stuff then in stock for their 3x4 density.

Lots of time to hunt can get up and running without expansion bay. Regardless new parity drive showed up DOA today so build paused again, at this rate won't get back up and running till after my summer holiday mid month, :( I prefer to get things running sooner as some parts have return windows ticking but such it is.

6 hours ago, BackupAddict said:

Well like the look of Lian Li EX-36B1 but can't find stock anywhere shipping to Canada  :/ Found a Lian Li EX-332 that looks similar but only three 3.5 so less density.

Any opinions on Lian Li EX-H34A or Lian Li EX-H33SX I can find some stock of them but in general more out of stock Lian Li stuff then in stock for their 3x4 density.

Lots of time to hunt can get up and running without expansion bay. Regardless new parity drive showed up DOA today so build paused again, at this rate won't get back up and running till after my summer holiday mid month, :( I prefer to get things running sooner as some parts have return windows ticking but such it is.

I think they ship to Canada and this is the last one in stock:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/lian-li-ex-36a2-sata-hdd-internal-rackmount-kit-for-4-x-3-5-2-x-2-5-hdd-bays.html

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 8/7/2019 at 1:15 PM, ramblinreck47 said:

If you want an integrated front fan filter, you pretty much lose the hotswap option (unless you choose that less than ideal Icy Dock option which has plenty of issues). Lian Li, however, has in the past made several hard drive cages that have vibration absorbing grommets, front fan filters, and can hold at least 4 HDD’s with some also holding 2 SSD’s. The EX-36B1 is a good representation. There are plenty of variations, costs aren’t too bad, and it might take some hunting on your part but they should be great for what you are looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-EX-36B1-Black-Rack/dp/B004K1HD9G

Whats the issue with the icy dock, I've got them and they work like a champ. Even dropped a failed drive and smashed the bracket and icy sent me 4 more of them for free! 

If they are too hot then you don't have enough exhaust to pull the air through and on top you can just swap the fans for any 3 pin 120mm fan if you dont like the ones which come with it (same with your case, who uses the shitty ones which usually come with it!). Corsair have some nice ones you just lose the neon light (oh no!)

All spun up and chugging away: Array of fifteen devices    29.7 C

Edited by helin0x
On 8/19/2019 at 6:08 AM, helin0x said:

Whats the issue with the icy dock, I've got them and they work like a champ. Even dropped a failed drive and smashed the bracket and icy sent me 4 more of them for free! 

If they are too hot then you don't have enough exhaust to pull the air through and on top you can just swap the fans for any 3 pin 120mm fan if you dont like the ones which come with it (same with your case, who uses the shitty ones which usually come with it!). Corsair have some nice ones you just lose the neon light (oh no!)

All spun up and chugging away: Array of fifteen devices    29.7 C

Thank-You for the feedback on that Icy Dock, never did get clarification from anyone on why to avoid them. I ended up with a Lian Li and my case is large enough sliding drives out the back works but front door access would have been a plus.

I ended up snagging this one , not perfect but is a bonus to stuff two 2.5" SSD's on the sides lol

Now to find a solid deal on a LSI expansion card on ebay, anyone have advice on trustworthy ebay sellers / lots coming from china but always makes me apprehensive if I'm getting real goods, many say its better to find sellers selling used server pulled ones...

Edited by BackupAddict
added thought