walterg74 broken plex

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

I am surprised that Plex can even run on an Unraid system that has only 2GB of RAM.

I missed that, I think I must have had another diagnostic open at the same time.

@walterg74

Can you add any memory? I think you are wasting your time trying to get your server to do more than just run Unraid as a NAS with so little RAM.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

I am surprised that Plex can even run on an Unraid system that has only 2GB of RAM.     I have seen users complaining that Plex runs out of RAM on systems with much more RAM.   Having said that I am not a Plex user so I could be wrong.

47 minutes ago, trurl said:

I missed that, I think I must have had another diagnostic open at the same time.

@walterg74

Can you add any memory? I think you are wasting your time trying to get your server to do more than just run Unraid as a NAS with so little RAM.

Guys... 

On one hand, I have *just* (this past month) purchased new hardware to upgrade my server (i3 9100 and 16GB RAM), but on the other hand, this is a server that gets very light use... Only for me to store my stuff and access it, and to watch movies which we do usually just 1 at a time (1 stream) and it works perfectly even for 4K movies...   Granted *sometimes* CPU/MEM spikes up probably when plex is doing something, and I will need to reboot it  (of course not desired, one of the reasons's I'm upgrading, etc. etc.) but other than that it worked fine and has been working fine for over a year... 

So while not optimal, it's not a hardware issue. *something* broke/got corrupted/whatever in the install causing the plex web server to not work anymore   (and of course I have no clue hence the help request :) )

I would like to first fix the issue and have everything working normally, and then I will do the hardware upgrade.

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you mean it broke immediately after you installed something? Or do you mean it was working fine for a while and then sometime later it broke and you don't know why?

Right, It was working fine, when I say "the install" I mean just the existing setup that was already there, not doing anything new. I was watching movies fine, I did not install anything, change any configs, nothing.  One day a couple of weeks ago I turn on the TV, go to watch a movie and plex app says there's no server... I go check and find this not working and the webgui giving the 500 Internal Server error message.

Edit/Add:  The *only* thing I can think of, is that we did have a few blackouts recently (and of course my UPS battery needs replacement so it's currently bypassed...), so the only thing I can think of is that could have affected something and why I mentioned something may have gotten corrupted.  It just seems weird that having installed a new (and different) app the issue would persist, unless the broken/corrupted files are ones being reused   (and if that is even the problem at all).

Just to think of alternate options, what's the worst in starting over? It would just need to rebuild my media library, art, etc. etc.?

Edited by walterg74
3 minutes ago, trurl said:

And rebooting didn't fix it? If rebooting didn't fix it then that might rule out a problem with too little memory (maybe).

But a misconfigured docker could certainly run for a while and then quit working.

Is it working now since you reinstalled it?

See what I just added.

No, rebooting didn't fix it (for the record in the past whenever I had to reboot it it was just because cpu/mem usage was at 100%, but it never gave any such errors or was broken).

Also, like I said, consider I removed the limetech one and added the linuxserver one, so it was not a reinstall, it was a completely new install, different app, except of course it's reusing the stuff that was already there, which may be corrupt, right? (still don't quite get what might be causing the service itself not to be available)

Edited by walterg74
3 minutes ago, walterg74 said:

See what I just added.

It's actually better to put new information in a new post. Most of the people who are going to be helpful only visit threads with new posts in them. If you hadn't made another post and told me to see what you added I would have never seen it.

I'm still a little unclear about the answer to this Yes or No question:

10 minutes ago, trurl said:

Is it working now since you reinstalled it?

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

It's actually better to put new information in a new post. Most of the people who are going to be helpful only visit threads with new posts in them. If you hadn't made another post and told me to see what you added I would have never seen it.

I'm still a little unclear about the answer to this Yes or No question:

Yes, it was just an edit to the *last* post, the problem is you were too fast to reply :D

The clear answer:

Short answer: No

Long answer: 

- Had limetech plex, working fine for over a year (with that hiccup in march you saw, but returning to normal)

- Suddenly it stopped working.  Restarting/rebooting did nothing

- Unistalled limetex plex

- Installed linuxsserver plex, pointing to the same paths etc. as the previous one

- Exactly the same behavior as before, "500 Internal Server Error"

In order to get to a known state, I think you are going to have to start from scratch with docker.

Delete plex docker. Delete plex appdata.  Delete and recreate docker image (might increase it to 20G).

Install linuxserverio plex from Apps page.

Post docker run command and new diagnostics.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

In order to get to a known state, I think you are going to have to start from scratch with docker.

Delete plex docker. Delete plex appdata.  Delete and recreate docker image (might increase it to 20G).

Ok, I will look around a little but probably just do that.

To make sure I understand:

1) Delete plex docker: Can I go to installed apps and click the uninstall icon for this, or do I need to do it differently?

2) Delete plex appdata: is this to just manually go command line and rm the PlexServer directory (and all subdirs..) from inside appdata/ ?

3) Delete and recreate docker image: I can just manually delete the .img file I assume, but recreate, didn't it create it when I install the new one? (forgot this bit)

4) Install linuxserverio plex: pretty straight forward and just atart over creating the paths from the GUI again?  (also forgot this, was so long ago, if you create from within the app install page/template or within the GUI, or if it was a chicken and egg thing where from the app install you cannot of course choose paths that don't yet exist)

1. I don't see an uninstall icon on my Apps page. Go to the Docker page, click on the plex icon, and select remove (everything).
  2. You could just rename it and create a new one. Then you would have the old one as a backup in case you wanted to go back to it for some reason.
  3. Settings - Docker - Disable, then it will let you Delete it from there and optionally change it before enabling it again. Enable will recreate it because it doesn't exist.
  4. Install plex from the Apps page. Do it from scratch, don't use the Previous Apps feature since there may have been some issue with the way you had it before. When you click on install it will take you to the Add Container page where you will finish filling out the template. Capture the run command when you Add it.
1 hour ago, trurl said:
  1. I don't see an uninstall icon on my Apps page. Go to the Docker page, click on the plex icon, and select remove (everything).
  2. You could just rename it and create a new one. Then you would have the old one as a backup in case you wanted to go back to it for some reason.
  3. Settings - Docker - Disable, then it will let you Delete it from there and optionally change it before enabling it again. Enable will recreate it because it doesn't exist.
  4. Install plex from the Apps page. Do it from scratch, don't use the Previous Apps feature since there may have been some issue with the way you had it before. When you click on install it will take you to the Add Container page where you will finish filling out the template. Capture the run command when you Add it.

Hmm ok, it's not really an icon, wrong word my bad, it-s the X "hotspot" (see image)

Uninstall.PNG

Edited by walterg74
6 hours ago, trurl said:

Ok, did all this, just in case left the defaults for config path and name of the linuxserver docker.

Run Command:

Pulling image: linuxserver/plex:latest

IMAGE ID [latest]: Pulling from linuxserver/plex.
IMAGE ID [1b1a02bef71e]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 25 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [24d5f5528f24]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 274 B. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [c5a5583b7dc7]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 13 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [1252aeca4f48]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 4 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [74703d095882]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 103 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [ec2c0e120976]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 3 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 141 MB

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' --log-opt max-size='100m' --log-opt max-file='3' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Buenos_Aires" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/TV Shows/':'/TV Shows':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/3D Movies/':'/Movies - 3D':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/SD Movies/':'/Movies - SD':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/HD Movies/':'/Movies - HD':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/UHD Movies/':'/Movies - UHD':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex'

66fd3ccd7808f998c918c77bb3dafcf5bf9413b3466c86fcec763e0b446d4524

The command finished successfully!

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Ok, some good, some bad...

The good: Install seems to have gone well, and Web GUI is working fine now :)

The bad... When I go to add libraries, I browse to what I created, and mapped, it's there and even when selecting it I see my different media folders for movies, tv shows, etc., but after confirming the folder and after a while scanning, it just finishes and says there's no content.... :(

Here are the mappings and what I see when adding libraries. What could be wrong?

New_Setup_1.PNG

New_Setup_2.PNG

New_Setup_3.PNG

27 minutes ago, trurl said:

I don't see anything wrong with that. Post diagnostics

Ok, not really sure what is going on...

I though *maybe* since I named the volumes the same that there might have been some garbage left over somewhere, so I decided to try creating new test mapping.

Hit apply, the run command went well, but when I went back to the GUI to add a new library with the new test mapping, before I got to that noticed a message saying there was "an unclaimed media server found"....

Strangely it was the same server, I claimed it, shows my login again, and just tried scanning again one of the libraries I had already added (for 3D Movies which were not that many) and now they appear.... WTH...?

Going to try scanning the TV Shows one again and see what happens...