Unhappy with my APC devices

On my three servers, they each get power from an APC UPS. They're all connected via the standard USB cables for UPS devices. I don't have exact numbers, but very often they don't perform a clean shutdown when necessary.

Today I was in my office across the house, doing normal office stuff. When I finished and went to leave the room, I could hear an alarm. I walk over to the server closet, and Freewill is off, the UPS (Back-UPS ES 550) is off, and the alarm is a solid tone. I press the button to power up the UPS and it's fine, solid green light. I power up the server, no issues. After a few minutes I can see the webgui and the battery is at 100% charge, with load at 15%. wtf

14 hours ago, jeff.lebowski said:

After a few minutes I can see the webgui and the battery is at 100% charge, with load at 15%. wtf

From what % to 100%, btw I think battery have problem now.

According your rigs info., 2 of 4U backup by 2 APC BE550G, this is overload and buildin battery capacity couldn't handle it well. ( You said 15% load, does 4U power on ? )

Edited by Benson

I've NEVER had good luck with the small APC bricks, especially on servers.  I also use a minimum of a 1000va  (I have a rack mount SMT1000RM2U Smart-UPS 1kva powering my server & external drive chassis', and a Back-UPS Pro BR1500G  1500va that powers my switch, router, wireless, etc).  Those little power-bar-like backups aren't really intended to run a server, they're more for desktop PC's anyway.

What's most likely happening with  your dirty shutdown, is the machine hits the battery threshold to shut down (you've got it set for 5%, after a minimum of 5 minutes), and there's not enough juice left to power down safely, and it's dropping out before Unraid fully shuts down.  Are you running docker or VM's on that machine by chance?

My only complaint with my APC's was that I didn't verify that the SmartUPS I have was expandable, otherwise I'd have it all running on that one box.  My only other complaint with my systems is the Norco external array, it's only got a single power plug, no redundant supplies in it :(.  If the HP P2000 drive trays weren't so damned expensive, I'd replace it with one of those in a heartbeat, lol.