Problem with distribution

I have all the shares set to 'High-Water', with 'Only split the top level...'

This is storing TV shows, so it is Share -> TVSeriesFolder -> Seasons -> TVFiles.
It is my understanding that with this setup, if all series are the same size, alternate TVSeriesFolder. However this has filled up the first disk and now has only really started to fill up the next disk, some files where written, but only about 150GB before the first disk was filled.

Distribution of files across 2 disks.

All other shares have the same settings.

Share settings

I have another disk ready to add, but if this is not working correctly I want to hold off.
Is there a problem with my settings that I'm missing?

On top of the above problem/mistake, the "Move Now" is not working, when manually triggered or by scheduler. The Cache is full, and I started the mover a number of times over the last 8 hours, when it was not running. It is also scheduled to run hourly.

image.png.c0a650226bb3c97643ec85575360ad92.png

12 hours ago, Leverz said:

It is my understanding that with this setup, if all series are the same size, alternate TVSeriesFolder.

With this setting all seasons of the same show will go to the original show disk, so that might be your problem, if you change to split top two levels a new season can go to a new disk, but note that any existing incomplete season folder wil need to be moved manully, or else Unraid will still try to make it go there.

Mover won't move anything if there's not enough space according to current split level, disk1 is full and likely it's trying to move data there, assuming use cache setting is correct.

The Series are on 4TB in size. According to High-Water this should be fine, or am I mistaken.

The goal of High-water is to write as much data as possible to each disk (in order to minimize how often disks need to be spun up), while at the same time, try to keep the same amount of free space on each disk (in order to distribute data evenly across the array).

Tool tip from Unraid.

I'm trying to have it so each TVSeries is as a whole on one disc, but the system tries to keep the system balanced. What you are talking about is that TVSeries1 has seasons spread all over the disks.

idealShareStructure.png.95bb84ee2a75f27cc4f3a93052af3ed7.png

Is High-Water with Top Level not how to do this?

6 minutes ago, Leverz said:

The Series are on 4TB in size. According to High-Water this should be fine, or am I mistaken.

Split level overrides allocation method.

7 minutes ago, Leverz said:

I'm trying to have it so each TVSeries is as a whole on one disc

And that's what the split level you're using will do, but like mentioned it will override allocation method, so if you have a tv show with 3 seasons on disk1, and disk1 is now full, you can't add any more seasons to that show with that split level.

My point is, if there is almost 4TB on another disk, this should never happen, as it should do next series on a different disk.

I understand your reference to, if a disk is full, the next season cannot be written to it, BUT, it should, by my understanding, split everything across the disks with the current setup.

This is not an old NAS, this is a newly setup system.

Edited by Leverz
Additional information.

Are you saying that my settings are right? If so, then why has one disk filled up and the other one is basically untouched?

I actually read that post of yours before I ever downloaded Unraid, research into if Unraid would do what I wanted and what settings I was going to use.

I started with 2 empty disks. With the settings my understanding (simplifying this) is that it would copy 1 series to a disk, then next series to a different disk, then all following series to what ever disk has (roughly) the most space and repeat until done. 

However, all shows went to one disk, and keep doing so. It is working like "Fill-up" not "High-Water". Am i missing something here.

Ignore the fact its at 100% thing of it one is at 50% and one at 0%, and it keeps writing to 50%. 

Is it, I have the wrong settings, or is there another issue?

3 minutes ago, Leverz said:

I started with 2 empty disks. With the settings my understanding (simplifying this) is that it would copy 1 series to a disk, then next series to a different disk,

That's not what High-water does, you need "most free" for that, but still will never split seasons.

Edited by johnnie.black