I just shrunk my array... but have some questions

I am currently in the process of rebuilding the two parity drives.

I followed the Shrink array instructions on the Wiki page and everything seems fine.

But I'm wondering if now I will always be stuck with four drive assignment numbers that will be skipped.

Is there any way to have the drive assignments go back to numerical order without skipping the drive numbers of the four drives I had to unassign?

So my drive assignment numbers are now skipping 7, 12, 14, and 21. Since I shrunk the twenty three drive array to nineteen drives and unassigned those four drive assignments. I used unbalance to remove the data off of those drives. I picked those drives to remove because they either had a smaller amount of data to move or the drive ran hot.

Edited by aaronwt

You can stop the parity build, do a new config and assign the drives as you wish. Just be absolutely sure that you don't assign any data drives to the parity slots. Screenshot the current drive list, and use it to do the new assignments. Triple check that you keep the same parity drives. When you do the new config, you can tell it to preserve all assignments, then just move the ones you need to move.

Once you are satisfied with the new drive layout, make sure none of your shares have includes or excludes that will run afoul of the renumbering, especially global excludes.

• Like 1
On 8/6/2019 at 9:51 PM, jonathanm said:
You can stop the parity build, do a new config and assign the drives as you wish. Just be absolutely sure that you don't assign any data drives to the parity slots. Screenshot the current drive list, and use it to do the new assignments. Triple check that you keep the same parity drives. When you do the new config, you can tell it to preserve all assignments, then just move the ones you need to move.

Once you are satisfied with the new drive layout, make sure none of your shares have includes or excludes that will run afoul of the renumbering, especially global excludes.

Ok. Thanks.
53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

Edited by aaronwt