Fake LSI HBA cards on ebay

jpowell8672

I am making this post to hopefully help future Unraid users avoid these counterfit LSI HBA cards on ebay and they might even be on Amazon. I purchased a new LSI HBA 9207-8i on ebay which ended up being counterfit. It was in a clear plastic container in a plain brown box with low profile bracket, nothing else included. No documentation. Was a US seller and they had pictures of what appeared to be a genuine card on listing that did not match the card sent to me. There should be no Tan/Brown colored Resistors, Diodes, Capacitors,etc. on the card if so it is most likely counterfit. They should all be black. I was getting constant UDMA CRC errors on all 8 connections. I tried two differnt sets of quality forward break out cables with same results lots of UDMA CRC errors. Also the LSI name was covered with a sticker, other than that the cards look just about the same. Best to buy used one pulled from an actual server or an authorized dealer/seller this is what I did to replace the counterfit and it works perfectly with no errors or problems. I sent the info to Broadcom Avago about ebay seller from who I purchased the card from and sending them the counterfit card. So If you bought an LSI HBA card that is giving you UDMA CRC errors and have tried the correct quality cables then it is most likely a chinese counterfit.

Edited by jpowell8672
Added more info
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 9:22 AM, Dr_Cox1911 said:

I also just got my LSI 9211 8i card and it looks kinda suspicious to me.

I ordered it on Amazon and thought I would be safe that way.

So I'm wondering if someone here could give me insight if mine is fake.

It has a SAS 2008-8i chipset.

Here is the product pic of mine:

It should have the LSI logo near the edge connector, email Broadcom