(SOLVED) WD My Book (WD White)

Hi,

I just bougt four WD My Boook 10TB and shucked the drives for my UNRAID, and when I look at the the Identity page for the drives in UNRAID it says the Model family is: WDC HGST Ultrastar He10. Isn't that strange?

Anyone else using shucked WD Mybook 10TB, and does they also show as WDC HGST Ultrastar He10?

This is what it looks like:

bM8pUh0.png

Edited by gberg
32 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Not really, since WD owns HGST, that model is mostly the same as the HE10 but with spindle speed lowered to 5400rpm.

Oh, you think, that's great? 

WDC HGST Ultrastar He10 is more of a entrprise class disk. it has 5 year waranty, 2 500 000 h MTBF and URE 10^15.

But it that a fact the WD White should probably bee quite robust, couse in therory it should last longer when it spins with 5400RPM instead of 7200RPM?

16 minutes ago, gberg said:

more of a entrprise class disk. it has 5 year waranty, 2 500 000 h MTBF and URE 10^15.

Marketing. There is very little if any physical difference between "enterprise" and "consumer" hard drives. The real differences are in the programming, how it responds to errors, timing, and other various tweaks to ensure the "enterprise" drives play well with other enterprise hardware.

You as an individual are more effected by the drives environment and other handling issues, the statistics are pretty meaningless on a single instance.

3 hours ago, gberg said:

just bougt four WD My Boook 10TB and shucked the drives for my UNRAID, and when I look at the the Identity page for the drives in UNRAID it says the Model family is: WDC HGST Ultrastar He10. Isn't that strange

My array has 8TB WD Red and White drives all shucked from Easystore enclosures.  Below is the identity of a white drive.  As you can see it is a Western Digital WD80EMAZ model but the family is the HGST Ultrastar He10 just like yours.   My white drives actually run a couple of degrees cooler in my case than the WD Reds. 

The WD Whites are very good drives and there is little difference between them, the Reds and the HGST Ultrastars at 5400 RPM.

image.png.2923d8b4fde16881679cf864b72c7d13.png

And the Reds are identified as WD Reds

image.png.2daff0d3cd87bc69b058460bce2f9f71.png

Edited by Hoopster