VNC and GPU passthru with Linux VM

I'm having an hell of a time trying to get a Linux VM to work with a passed through GPU and VNC.

I know the passthrough works because I have it working in a Windows VM. I shut that VM down before fiddling with the Linux VM.

I can VNC to the Linux VM  with graphics set to VNC but then when I change the graphics to the Nvidia card, I can no longer access it. And when I change it back to VNC, I get a message that says the graphics has not initialized (yet) or "internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2019-08-08T13:59:37.609434Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device pcie-pci-bridge,id=pci.8,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0: Bus 'pci.2' not found".

I'd expect to be able to access the VM when I put the graphics back to VNC.

I'm using MX Linux and X2Go.

Any ideas?

Hello Testdasi,

So you are saying that if I open create a VM with VNC and use the VM to install drives, nomachine, ect I cant change the graphics card to something else? I have to stay on VNC?

If thats the case then I have to create a VM from scratch using the gpu from the start?