Users, shares, and writing problems on Mac

tknx

I have several shares I have set to Public for now.

I access them either with a guest or user account through the file browser and I can look at files but don't have write permission. I guess I don't really understand the share permissions and how to set them. Ideally I'd like to have a bunch of users, some with read permission and some with read/write access. How do I do this?

I am not a MAC  user but since none of them appear willing to assist, I will try my best. 

14 hours ago, tknx said:

I have several shares I have set to Public for now.

I access them either with a guest or user account through the file browser and I can look at files but don't have write permission.

What are you calling a "Guest" account?  You have not actually assigned an Unraid user with the name of 'guest'?  If you are this is not the best practice.  (BTW, you can only login once as a user once to SMB.  So if you have two shares that you want to restrict access to, you must use the same user name for both!  You can add the same user to several shares with different privileges for each share.)  

If you have the shares set as Public using the settings   (go to Shares  now click on one of the share names (in blue) and go to SMB Security Settings and set "Security:"  to 'Public'), You should be able to read and write to that share.  If you can not, try this first:     Settings    >>>  SMB    (under  Network Settings)  >>>   SMB Settings   Look for the 'Enhanced macOS interoperability:"  option and select "Yes". 

14 hours ago, tknx said:

I guess I don't really understand the share permissions and how to set them. Ideally I'd like to have a bunch of users, some with read permission and some with read/write access. How do I do this?

If you turn on 'Help' (There is an icon on the Toolbar), you will find this on the SMB Security Setting page/tab (for each share):

Summary of security modes:

Public All users including guests have full read/write access.

Secure All users including guests have read access, you select which of your users have write access.

Private No guest access at all, you select which of your users have read/write or read-only access.

After you have added a user(s) with a password and changed the "Security" to either 'Secure' or 'Private', you can add one or more assigned users to that share with either 'read' or 'read-write' privileges.  (PS:  you can not add root as a user to a SMB share as root is not allow as a SMB user because of security issues!) 

However, it will be necessary that you verify that you have 'read-write' privileges on the Public shares before you set up more secure shares.  If you don't have the level of access, things will never work right when you try increasing security.  

Hope this helps some.  If things still don't work, post back...

By guests, I just meant other users. Sorry for not being more precise with terminology.

The secure thing makes sense even if it wasn't where I was expecting it.

Why is there an enhanced mac compatibility setting and it isn't default? Is the SMB just version 1 or SMB2 or 3?

Post screenshots of share settings and user settings. Don’t forget to redact user/password fields.

Also, apps in many dockers will have their own permissions set within their respective appdata folders. Are their only certain docker appdata folders that you can’t write to or is it a general problem?

If after you have done all this and nothing has not fixed the problem,  you are going to have to provide a bit more information to us using some Linux commands.  First,  Find a file/directory with the problem.  Then open the GUI terminal (right side of top toolbar) and type the following command:

ls -al /mnt/user0

Now, hit the 'up-arrow' key and append the name of the User Share to this command as the following example shows for the 'Media' share on my server:

ls -al /mnt/user0/Media

[You can use the 'Tab' to finish a directory (or file) name after you type the first few letters.  This is particularly useful if you have 'blanks' or other 'special characters' in filenames.] 

Continue down the tree/path until you get to a file that has the problem.  Then copy and paste  the line for that file in the listing that has the problem.  (Please format it as 'Code' --   </> icon at the top of the reply box.) It will look like this:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  178259492 Oct 20  2016 Nxxxxxxxxxxxxx-Axxxx-Wedding.pdf

Since you have a problem accessing the directory/folder, be sure that you also get the directory that shows that directory/folder.