how to setup LAG/LACP Questions i need help with

comet424

hi  I just bought a 4 port 1gb nic  as I was hoping to maximize my network traffic

so I have the built in and then 4 on  card..

I had it setup as active-backup  but was reading posts from like 2011 to set it to mode 6 so its the balance alb 

I have a linksys cisco switch srw2016

under LAG   I set ports 13,14,15 to  to check box LAG and LACP    I not using the other 2 ports yet.. ran out of network cable to reach my server at the moment...

but with that settings I can my computer to ping...  I truly don't know if its working... and I read on another post there is a LAG status where it showed  Slow  but I cant find any status  on mine.. either because its not there anymore as the article was from 2011...  

but I also notice  my xbox can no longer play Plex but my computer can.....

my question is do you guys have a latest article or video on setting up this LAG to get the maximum throughput... out of my unraid server...  probably should went with a 4 10gb  but im not there yet...

but ya any articles that is closer to date be good  and pictures

and is there a test  where you can see your getting the max speed utilizied 

Edited by comet424

oh ok so if I dick the LACP  in linksys  then unraid has to be the ad(4)

which is the best way to go.. I just trying to get max speed out of it.. for transferring files or streaming my plex...

but ill give that a try the ad(4)….

probably should gotten like 10gb card and network switch but not cheap enough yet for home user

2 minutes ago, comet424 said:

oh ok so if I dick the LACP  in linksys  then unraid has to be the ad(4)

which is the best way to go.. I just trying to get max speed out of it.. for transferring files or streaming my plex...

but ill give that a try the ad(4)….

probably should gotten like 10gb card and network switch but not cheap enough yet for home user

Some even cheaper then srw2016 ( compare price at 2006 ) , but only have 2 10G port.

ah ok ..ya I only need a coupe 10g ports at the moment.. or like to from my desktop to the server....  least for now..  rest be like streaming plex.. but I wanna make sure it works well..

I know the srw2016 has 2 fibre connections but I doubt its a 10gb connection  but ill check out your link..

and ill try those ad setting when I get home too.. just wish I knew whats the best way to go lol.  I appreciate the replies

oh ok  so not worth upgrading to fibre then lol

ok so I tested just got home

if I check 

PORT and LCAP

only balance-rr(0)  balance-xor (2) and broadcast(3)    only work

the 6 doesn't work.. so whats the best setting anyways

and what is just PORT checked off do.. as I thought I need this LCAP 

and I cant get that 802.3ad to work  not sure what that one is

if I just have PORT checked off

then Broadcast (3) balance-xor(2) balance--rr(0)  only ones to work under PORT check... maybe this swich too old to do all those other features of the other 4 options

Strange, 802.3ad(4) not work. I have SG200 it work well ( test lontime ago, not use LACP anymore )

How about this setting

•All the ports in a LAG must haveauto-negotiationdisabled, although theLAG can haveauto-negotiationenabled.

Edited by Benson
  • 4 weeks later...

FYI 802.11ad does not give you a single session speed increase.

For instance I have a Cisco 3750x with a channel group containing (4) 1gb members. This gives me a total of 4gb of total bandwidth capacity, but still only a speed of 1gb/s per session. So one PC can transfer a file at 1gb/s and theoretically 3 others could as well. Limiting factor in my case is obviously read / write speeds.

Think of LACP as making the water pipe bigger, but not changing the speed of the water flowing through it.

Do do however get link redundancy.

If you want faster speeds, you need faster NICs and appropriate infrastructure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ah ok so there is not real way to max out the speed of the hard drives on the unraid server to connecting pcs then

I was trying to get the maximum bandwith the server can put out so that say 2 computers accessing  the unraid server.. would max out the hard drives so I get max speed etc.. well least try to maximize the network,.. since 10gb switchs are unrealistic price for the home user  as I googled them... so I be stuck at the 1gb for several years to come till like 16 port 10gb switch comes down to the under 200 dollar range lol