Pretty basic fan question ..

I've got a Supermicro X8SIA board, 5 4pin fan connectors which i didnt need to populate out other than the vpu and two others WHEN i only had a few drives. I've now added all of my drives to the case and as a result have added 3 more Noctua NFP14 pwm fans which are running at full speed all of the time so not really want i want or need for an unraid box.

So the question is how can i control the pwm aspect of these as a lot of fan controllers are software driven, has unraid any such features to control pwm 4 pin fans if i install one of these.

Secondly has anyone any recommedndations of fan controllers suitable. I'd like to be able to move away from the mobo fan connectors and use a controller which would allow me to control fans when everything in the box spins down, ie next to no cooling when the box is cool, obvious really.

If anyone out there is running a SM motherboard, are there settings in BIOS for the fan speeds and more importantly do they work? Never looked at the bios as am thinking a separate controller is the way to go.

Never really understood PWM so am guessing it came about after my SM board was produced?

Edited by superloopy1

Dynamix System Autofan from Community Applications!

I switched from my case fan controller to onboard 4-Pin and it works great all my PWM fan run at ~10% until one of my HDDs gets above 35°C.

I have all of my fans connected to a single connector and set fan speed in the bios to full speed.

Thanks ... yes i did install but it doesnt seem to want to do anything for me.

I have no 'fan controller' other than the motherboard itself, the cpu IS using the correct fan header and whenever i press 'detect' ... zilch.

I'm running an SM X8SIA-F board, all  Noctua pwm fans onto motherboard fan headers and they're running at full blast all of the time, driving me nuts!!

So bad that i've had to powerdown the array so i need this sorted if anyone can help?

I also downloaded ipmitools plugin, this looks as though it could help. I think my problem is that the fan thresholds are way out and even if i reset to 'economy' in the bios, fans immediately go back to full speed (they were running at 'balanced' but i changed just that one setting and now i cant get them down again, d'oh!

I'm also not sure if this plugin supports my board or not, can anyone confirm?

I'd be most grateful if anyone can chip in on this before i lose my sanity ... or shell out for an offboard fan controller i suppose.

Edited by superloopy1

Right .... I gave now installed IPMITOOL from within the nerd pack in an attempt to silence these fans. My system us idle yet fans are still spinning at around 800 with one, the CPU presumably at twice that speed. 

My question is, I'm not a Linux person, where does this package need to accessed from? Tried it from a console window, it's not there so I'm guessing I need to switch to another directory. How??