v6.7.0, Direct IO, and SQLite corruption

I encountered something strange and wanted to post here in case it helps someone else. I'm running Unraid v6.7.0 and after reading an article about increasing disk performance I decided to give it a try. The main "tip" was to set Settings > Global Share Settings > Tunable (enable Direct IO) = Yes. Upon restarting the array and docker service all of my containers (e.g. Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, etc) failed to start. Checking their logs they all mentioned SQLite database corruption.

I stopped the docker service, array, and reset Settings > Global Share Settings > Tunable (enable Direct IO) = Auto. Restarting the array and docker service everything worked fine as usual; no data was lost, nothing had to be recreated / modified either inside or outside of the containers, etc.

Not sure why my docker containers (LinuxServer.io) hate Direct IO but anyway I just wanted to pass the word along in case it helps others.

Edited by daemon_of_chaos
3 hours ago, daemon_of_chaos said:

Set Settings > Global Share Settings > Tunable (enable Direct IO) = Yes. Upon restarting the array and docker service all of my containers (e.g. Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, etc) failed to start. Checking their logs they all mentioned SQLite database corruption.

You are fortunate that changing the Direct IO setting back to AUTO "fixed" your SQLite corruption problem.  For many, downgrading to unRAID 6.6.7 is the only solution.

Limetech is attempting to isolate and resolve the issue as something changed between 6.6.7 and 6.7.0 (kernel, docker, drivers, etc.) that is leading to these SQLite db corruption issues for SOME users.  A significant number of users have seem the problem, and many others have not, so some commonality of local hardware, configuration, etc. also contributes to the issue.

If you feel you have something to contribute that might lead to a solution, I am sure Limetech would welcome your participation in the "Testing" thread.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1

After reading those threads I do feel lucky indeed. When I started reading the corruption messages in each container's log my gut tightened, especially for my Plex container. This happened last night and I am still surprised that no issues have been encountered. In my experience once corruption happens then it is a done deal and there is no coming back from it.

I'm not sure I have anything of value to add to the conversation but I will certainly checkout the Testing thread you provided. Thanks!