jang430

Quick, need help. Array showing absurd # of reads and writes on several drives. Shares not accessible

33 posts in this topic Last Reply

Looks like it:
Aug 18 09:55:38 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!

Try it in a different slot, also make sure it's sufficiently cooled.

You're also having problems with the parity disk, and that one is on the onboard SATA ports, it dropped offline so there's no SMART report, but looks more like a connection problem.

Though the parity is directly connected onboard, the drive that it is reading from is connected to the hba controller. Could this also cause that to happen? The case is currently wide open and air cooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why you blacklist smbus ? How about if boot in safemode does problem persist ?

Aug 18 12:51:05 Tower kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage vfio-pci.ids=8086:a170 modprobe.blacklist=i2c_i801,i2c_smbus pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initrd=/bzroot

26 minutes ago, jang430 said:

Could this also cause that to happen?

No, like mentioned it looked more like a connection problem, but since there's no SMART report more dificult to say for sure.

26 minutes ago, jang430 said:

The case is currently wide open and air cooled.

This isn't enough to cool the HBA, LSI HBAs should have some airflow around them, they are designed for server cases where cooling ins't a problem.

Why you blacklist smbus ? How about if boot in safemode does problem persist ?

Aug 18 12:51:05 Tower kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage vfio-pci.ids=8086:a170 modprobe.blacklist=i2c_i801,i2c_smbus pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initrd=/bzroot

If I did that, it is not because I made it. Where do you do or undo that? Never tried safe mode, since I never thought it was any of the containers and plug-ins causing the problem.

This isn't enough to cool the HBA, LSI HBAs should have some airflow around them, they are designed for server cases where cooling ins't a problem.

When you say connection problem, do you mean maybe how the card is seated, or maybe not seated properly? Also, whether the cables are connected to the drives properly?

The hba is in a case node 804 that has front and back fans in the motherboard chamber. Though due to planning to upgrade drives, I kept case open, apart from fans in front and back still functioning. Is this not enough?

9 minutes ago, jang430 said:

When you say connection problem

Connection problem was about parity disk, replace cables and post new diags after booting so there's a SMART report.

9 minutes ago, jang430 said:

I kept case open, apart from fans in front and back still functioning. Is this not enough?

Not IMHO, doesn't mean that's the problem, but the HBA will be very hot like that, likely overheating, you can touch to cooler to check, with care not to burn a finger.

It seems I may have found the root cause.  The power I used to connect to the drives that are causing problems came from a molex to sata splitter because I don't have enough sata power.  When I connected the Molex from the PSU and the Molex from this splitter, I may have not connected them securely.  Though there's power, it seems whatever drive I'm connecting to it is encountering problems.  I've changed Sata cables, connected to onboard ports.  I've changed to other onboard ports also, until I finally looked at this sata power issue.  I tried to secure the 2 molex sides properly, and so far, I've finished my parity rebuilding, I've attached other drives to this same power connector, and performed heavy transfers using Unbalance plugin, so far so good.  Never would have suspected this if I didn't ran out of other things to troubleshoot already.

image.png.c500cfe5f1b50917a9a7f90922e8e88d.png