(SOLVED) Alert for fan failures?

Ruato

Hi,

I tried to search the forum but did not find a topic for this. So, is there a way to set Unraid to raise a notification (alert / warning) if a fan fails (i.e., the speed gets lower than a configurable limit)?

Thanks!

>>>

Made a script (User Scripts plugin) that gets the fan speeds using 'sensors' command and parses the output. If a fan speed is lower than limit set for that fan, a notification is initiated. Works for my needs.

Marking the issue solved.

Edited by Ruato
  • Like 1
On 8/16/2019 at 11:17 PM, RockDawg said:

Do you mind sharing said script?  That would be very useful.

Yes, you can find it attached.

A bit of a disclaimer. This was my first bash script, so most probably something is written "uncleanly and/or in a stupid way". Anyway, you can use the script but of course, I cannot guarantee that it works for somebody else than me. At least, you need to edit it based on the output of the sensors -command in your server. Please, feel free to ask any questions regarding the script.

A side note. I found a bug in the notify -functionality. That is, if one gives too long description with the "-d" -parameter the webgui notifications stop to function. Emails are still sent. It seems that there should be a check for too long description and the excess texts should be cut off. I will generate a bug report for this.

checkFansAndTemps.txt

Edited by Ruato
Fixed a typo (i.e., notify parameter "-m" -> "-d".