''Hello World!'' I have a Question.

OzzY

Hello everyone,
after many hours of reading in search of a good operating system for NAS I chose unRAID, the reasons are many I will not list them all but one of them is very important, THE COMMUNITY!

Although I am still new, I have been reading the forum for some time now and am impressed with both the knowledge of some people and the discipline that is respected here and nowadays it is rare thing.

As I mentioned for many hours now, I am getting into this field, but in fact, the more I read the more questions I have to ask, but before I start asking you questions, I want to tell you what my purpose is.

So .... I own an Asustor 6404T NAS that I bought a year ago and use it as a home media server, movies, photos and music. I'm generally happy with it, but since 4K content is already a necessity, I'd say. I have to switch to something much more powerful, because this machine can barely handle 1080 transcoding, and for 4K I can't even think of it. So I decided to assemble a separate system that would be powered by unRAID-> Docker-> PLEX. The goal is to be able to support 4K 10-bit HEVC transcoding to 2 TVs and possibly 2 smartphones and a tablet. However, I don't like the idea of having one computer for a media server and one for gaming. So I had the idea why not make a super strong 2 in 1 computer so I would save space and money.

Generally, the idea is quite simple, but not as easy as it sounds, because I want to have a fully functional computer with Windows 10 and unRAID simultaneously. Here comes the fundamental question of how do you agree to do this and I came across a YouTuber who is also a member of the forum also @SpaceInvaderOne and it shows that it is possible to run Windows 10 virtual machine and unRAID at the same time.

However, I do not want a virtual machine because of the video drivers, which will deprive me of the many features of modern gaming experience.

And here comes my first question:
Can I install Windows 10 on the NVMe SSD, which will be set in the BIOS as the primary disk, and which will have two partitions one for the operating system and one for everything else, such as games, documents, and the like, and at the same time as the secondary disk will be set USB flash drive that will contain unRAID operating system?

The second question is:
If this is possible, then with each startup, Windows will start as the primary operating system and unRAID boot as well, but as a background system, which one will I need only when I need to change settings and things like that?

Edited by OzzY

I think your solution is setting up a VM with a SSD and video card pass-through. you won't even feel the difference. But since you want plex in 4K. You need a beefy computer my friend.

I don't know much about specs I have a humble i5-4590, using plex, nextcloud and a fileserver. Someone else might be able to help.

Look for the videos on youtube from @SpaceInvaderOne 

This is a good one for example. Also Linus has couple examples too.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already searched a lot on YouTube and couldn't find anything like what I wanted to do. Even Linus says that these types of virtual machine solutions are not reliable, which is why a virtual machine is not an option for me. I prefer to spend a little more money and make two separate systems than relying on a virtual machine.

I also looked at the two parts of the video you recommended, but unfortunately @SpaceInvaderOne does not show any benchmarks and whether all the features of the video card work perfectly normally and steadily through a similarly configured virtual machine. By characteristics, I mean G-Sync, Freesync, HDR and High Refresh-Rate for game monitors and the like.

Everything I've seen is super interesting and I like that type of things, but the system I want to do is quite expensive and I wouldn't want to give 3,000 euros or more for something I don't know if it's possible and I have yet to test it.

Edited by OzzY
On 8/10/2019 at 7:35 PM, OzzY said:

Can I install Windows 10 on the NVMe SSD, which will be set in the BIOS as the primary disk, and which will have two partitions one for the operating system and one for everything else, such as games, documents, and the like, and at the same time as the secondary disk will be set USB flash drive that will contain unRAID operating system?

No. There can be only one operating system in control of the actual hardware. If you wish to run unraid and windows together on the same hardware, windows must be a virtual machine.

18 minutes ago, OzzY said:

I prefer to spend a little more money and make two separate systems than relying on a virtual machine.

There is your answer.

• Upvote 1