Recommend SATA controller for SSD in R710

nraygun

I currently have my SSD cache drive on a port on my flashed H200 controller. I see errors and I hear it's because that controller even when flashed doesn't support SSDs.

Can you recommend a good, say 2 port, SATA controller for an R710 server? I saw some for $20 on Amazon but not sure they are "server grade".

On 8/10/2019 at 7:59 PM, nraygun said:

I currently have my SSD cache drive on a port on my flashed H200 controller. I see errors and I hear it's because that controller even when flashed doesn't support SSDs.

Can you recommend a good, say 2 port, SATA controller for an R710 server? I saw some for $20 on Amazon but not sure they are "server grade".

Did you populate the the cd drive if not and your not using it that's where I put mine, also there is an additional sata port on the board but you will need supplemental power

I do have a DVD drive and would like to leave it there. Plus I hear that SATA port is not as fast as a newer controller would be (3Gbps vs 6?).

Then again, I could attach an external DVD drive for the few times I rip something. Plus it would give me another bay for more bits!

Is this what everyone does on their R710 - use the DVD bay with a tray for their SSD cache drive?