Stumped

Greetings,

I've used Unraid in the past but for the life of me I can't seem to get it started up. I'm running a ryzen 7 1700 on an ASUS x370-f at bios 4207 (for gpu passthrough). This machine is currently running as a Windows 10 tower and it works perfectly that way, but I cannot seem to get unraid to run on it. I CAN'T EVEN GET ACCESS TO MY DIAGNOSTIC LOG FILES

I've been able to make a USB drive with unraid on it, boot into the console, but that's it. I can't seem to get a connection to my router as my ipv4 address is bogus, and ipv6 cannot be established. I've tried deleting the network.cfg file, editing it to make a static IP, and even fresh installing various versions of Unraid, but nothing works.

Any help would be awesome, starting with how to find my diagnostic dump file (which I cp'd to the /boot folder of the usb stick to no avail.) If i find it, I"ll post it..

The attached image is the root of my usb drive post console boot 

Thanks

Capture.PNG

Edited by Brucej32

What do you mean by "ipv4 address is bogus"? From a fresh install, that IP should be assigned by your router so if it's bogus then it's a problem with your router DHCP?

Also, you can boot to GUI mode (that's 1 of the options at boot) which will allow you to access the GUI without the need of a 2nd computer.

What i mean is that the IP address changes every time and it shows up a different 169.254.xx.xx number every boot. I have tried going through the webui version but I can't access the internet with it or the unraid web console.

The only differences between January 2018's version and this one is a new motherboard, and I upgraded my router to a nighthawk r7000. I"ll see what I can find regarding the DHCP.

The image shows what I've changed. I switched from Auto Config to USE DHCP Server.

I'll reboot and see what happens. 

dhcp.PNG

Edited by Brucej32

More experienced network people will give you better answers, but I think there's a problem with your DHCP connection. If you're getting IP addresses that are in the form 169.254.x.x it usually means that the machine/system has issued its own internal IP address because it hasn't connected to a DHCP server to get a "normal" internal network address. For example, a common internal network address is of the form 192.168.x.x.

Look at your router config to see what range of IP addresses it gives out; you should also be able to see what clients are connected to the router (via MAC ID at least). Or see what IP address your Win10 tower has.

So theoretically, I could boot up the unraid tower (which is the exact same tower as the Win 10 tower), go to my router config page on another device, and see if the unraid tower is connected at all and what IP it's getting? Should I try static IP addresses again?

UPDATE: unraid side of the tower does not show up in my router, but my windows side of it does with the IP at .9

I also noticed that unraid is looking for a bonding device and fails

Edited by Brucej32

When you boot up can you get to the command line and try the ‘df’ command.    If so is the USB stick mounted as /boot?    If not that would explain your problems are due to the fact that the second stage of the boot process is not completing properly.   If you can use a USB2 port for the USB stick as they seem to be far more reliable during the boot process.

If the ‘df’ command does not show /boot then the second phase of the Unraid boot process where it tries to run items using the USB device has failed.    This also means that any attempt to run the ‘diagnostics’ command will fail as that assumes /boot is mounted.   It also means that no network will be started and the Unraid GUI will not be run.

the problem is going to be to identify why Unraid is not seeing the USB stick after booting the Linux kernel.   One thing that has helped some people is to use a different machine to create the USB stick used for booting Unraid.    It can also be worth checking that the USB stick can be booted on another system if you can.   Trying a different USB stick is another option.