Parity disk in error state after adding 2nd disk

Tried to add a second parity disk. Parity writing worked for several hours then I started getting errors. Parity device disabled, and Disk in error state.

As I was trying to start and stop the array in maintenance mode, I noticed that those disks were disappearing and reappearing, and I believe the device names were changing (sdm and sdl at one point, later sde and sdk).

My only thought is that the power for these two disks is dropping so they're getting disconnected, but I'm unsure of how to confirm this in the diagnostic logs. These two happen to be running off a molex-sata adapter. I'm just hoping for help confirming the error before I go rewiring everything and replacing sata cables (my case is a mess).

I also tried going back to one parity disk. Stays in error state.

Original parity: WDC_WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0_7SJG85KW

New Parity: WDC_WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0_7SJ3MU5U

Thanks

server-diagnostics-20190811-1422.zip

Edit: noticed my two parity devices weren't being detected when I created the diagnostics zip so there's no SMART report for them. Added those.

WDC_WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0_7SJ3MU5U-20190811-1437 (sdk).txt WDC_WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0_7SJG85KW-20190811-1437 parity (sde) - DISK_DSBL.txt

Edited by applesauce9
missing SMART for parity

SMART for those looks fine. The fact that they are sharing a power connection makes that a prime suspect.

23 minutes ago, applesauce9 said:

As I was trying to start and stop the array in maintenance mode, I noticed that those disks were disappearing and reappearing, and I believe the device names were changing (sdm and sdl at one point, later sde and sdk).

Disk letters are assigned as the disks are detected at boot (and other times), the letters aren't significant for most purposes and can be ignored. The serial numbers are how Unraid keeps track of disk assignments.

23 minutes ago, applesauce9 said:

I also tried going back to one parity disk. Stays in error state.

Rebuilding is the preferred way to enable a disk after it has been disabled. Unraid disables a disk when a write to it fails. Since the disk is missing the written data, its contents are no longer valid, so rebuilding is the preferred way to make it valid again. The only other way to get Unraid to enable a disabled disk is New Config, which optionally and by default, rebuilds parity.

So fix the connections and rebuild.

• Like 1

Rearranged all my drives (didn't take as long as I feared). Instead of the two parity drives sharing a molex-to-two-sata adapter, I made each one share with an SSD instead. I'm not using regular sata power cables because they're shucked from WD externals that don't like the 3.3v pins or something like that.

So far so good but it will take a day to rebuild parity and be sure. It was failing pretty quickly before, though, so I'm optimistic. Thanks again.