Idle windows VMs max out random CPU core all the time.

Rags

I am not sure when this began but yesterday when running some windows updates on some of my Windows VMs, I noticed that when a user is logged into windows (same issue with both windows VMs) and not connected, meaning I RDP'd in and closed the window leaving a user logged into windows, it will peg out one of my cores to max and stay there (seen in my dashboard view). It's not always the same core, it hops around but always pegs one out to 100%. If i reconnect the RDP session, the problem vanishes immediately every single time. But immediately pegs a random core out just seconds after disconnecting. If i boot the VM and never login to windows, it doesnt happen. Anyone have idea on how to trouble shoot this?

First thing I thought was some app that I had installed, but my VMs are very slim and dont have much at all installed. From my own troubleshooting it doesnt appear to be related to installed software in the VMs, at least not that I can tell.

This is not so bad I know.. but I would like to avoid any needless wear and tear on my hardware. 

Any help is appreciated.

--Rags

Edited by Rags
14 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Disabling the policy resolved my issue. Thank you much! Anyone still looking for a fix for this, see below ---

Windows 10 1903 introduces a new display driver for remote desktop sessions (WDDM based Indirect Display Driver - IDD). As soon as a rdp session gets disconnected (i.e. the user is still logged in, but the rdp session is disconnected) the new driver causes the Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) to max out one cpu core.

- Switch off the new driver by disabling the following Group Policy (gpedit.msc) : "Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections" in "Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment\"

--Rags

Edited by Rags
  • Like 1