Sanity check. Migrating from 3ware card to LSI HBA

Hello, I just wanted to validate the method I have in mind for migrating from my current 3ware card to the new LSI HBA (Fujitsu branded) cards I recently flashed into IT mode (thanks @johnny for the guide and batch files).

I pulled out my SAS2LP and replaced it with one of the LSI cards and (as expected) no issues at all. Array started without issue.

However, when I pulled my 3ware card and plugged the drives into the LSI cards, I got missing disks (as expected since 3ware doesn't support fully passing through the drive info or size). I then went to do a new config, kept the drives in their slots (because none of the slots changed from the SAS2LP to the LSI card).

What I wasn't expecting was that now the 16 drives that came from that 3ware card now needed to be formatted in order to be used. I noped out of there real quick and put the drives back on the 3ware card and reverted to my previously saved config. Booted up and now everything is back to normal.

What I'm not sure how to do is the migration without it causing issues.

My thoughts are:

1. Keep the LSI cards in place and get a break out cable.

2. Plug that cable into a storage cage and pull one drive at a time and rebuild.

3. Once that's complete for all 16 drives, pull the 3ware card and put my current drives back into the SAS backplane.

This is really the only logical way I can think to do this. When I take a drive from the 3ware card and try to read it on another computer, the file system isn't accessible for some reason. It sees the XFS partition, but my linux reader software can't read it. I don't have another linux PC to test on.

Is there a better/smarter way to do what I'm propsing? 16 drives (2-4tb) is going to take quite a while.

What do you guys think?

Edited by PanteraGSTK
1 hour ago, PanteraGSTK said:

This is really the only logical way I can think to do this.

This straight forward. As blackplane ( 16 disks ) only can connect to one controller,  so, after you build 8 disks on LSI, then you need swap all 2 set of 8 disks between LSI and 3ware to continue migration. May be got 2 parity and replace two disks in each time.

If no extra resources ( i.e. disks ) by file copying method instead disk rebuilding, seems no better/smartter way.

Does file have hash checksum ? It's only way to check file integrity.

Last, due to disks have plug to LSI and back, pls perform parity check/correct before any rebuild.

Edited by Benson

Right now I can pull individual drives and move them to the new LSI cards one by one. It will be a pain, but it's possible. Then I can rebuild them one by one as the drive removed will become the replacement drive.

Your method would be me expanding the array with new disks, moving data over, then shrinking the array. Am I correct?

14 minutes ago, PanteraGSTK said:

Right now I can pull individual drives and move them to the new LSI cards one by one. It will be a pain, but it's possible. Then I can rebuild them one by one as the drive removed will become the replacement drive.

Your method would be me expanding the array with new disks, moving data over, then shrinking the array. Am I correct?

No, not expand array, it is the same method.

I mean after build 8 disks, then no room ( port ) for moving to LSI anymore, is that true ?

41 minutes ago, Benson said:

after you build 8 disks on LSI, then you need swap all 2 set of 8 disks between LSI and 3ware to continue migration.

Amend : Swap 2 set disks between backplane and external cage, and swap the controller.

Edited by Benson

I think we're talking about the same thing now.

I've got two LSI cards for a total of 16 drives. These completely replace the 16 drive capable 3ware card.

I was thinking the same. Put the disks in an external cage and rebuild one by one. Once that's complete remove the 3ware controller since it won't have drives connected any longer.

Thanks for the confirmation.

1 minute ago, Benson said:

Note that, we are talking same thing. 3ware are 16 port or in two ?

3ware has 4 ports that control 4 drives each on a single card. The 2 LSI cards have 2 ports that control 4 drives each.

I've got it down. I've got a breakout cable and a SATA cage with fan. I'll pull one drive at a time until 4 are done. Then I can swap cables between the 3ware card to the LSI. Then repeat until complete.