V5.0 to V6.? - Need Advice and Help to Upgrade.

Hello there,

Long time unraid user finally realising it's time to upgrade - especially after reading about the possibility of end of line discussions for v5.

I am running version 5.0. It's been perfect for years and obviously I am really nervous about touching it. I'm somewhat long in the tooth as well and the mind isn't quite what is once was :D...so I need some hand-holding!!

I have read a lot of posts (most make me more nervous) as V6 seems so much more complex than V5. A lot of the posts are years old (even more nervous) and I'm uncertain what is still relevant. In fact...the more I read the more the heads spins :)Wow...things have changed a lot!

I am running the following plugins...unmenu (only for mymain-smart), Clean powerdown (ctrlALtDelete), apcupsd (for clean shutdown of tower at loss of power - 5 mins using apc ups) and cache_dirs. I only have 2gb RAM. It appears I have a 64bit chip (saw the Im in the output thingee)

I believe some of these things are now included in V6?? using something called a docker?? Don't really understand what this is. Or how they work. Are they difficult to setup? Or...are the plugins installed differently?

I have two pro keys (2 USB drives - so I can use the 2nd one as the V6 unit and keep the original V5 USB safe to return to it if needed.)

I am running 8xHDD's all controlled from the MB. My USB drive is only 512mb.

so...

1 - Seems Tom wrote a plugin to do the upgrade from V5 to V6. Does this still work? This sounds like the easy option?? Does this freshen the go file?

2 - Clean Install appeals to me - refreshes the usb and you keep only V6 relevant files on the usb.

3 - I assume my pro keys will work without the need to download (apply for a new set??). (seems they will work)

4 - Where do I download the latest V6 version from? (found it)

5 - What am I going to be presented with? (Can someone post a screenshot so I know what I'll get (or a link))

6 - Seems the recommendation is to leave unmenu uninstalled. Is this still true? Is there a replacement for the smart part of it?

7 - Seems Powerdown is now a part of unRaid - but...does ctrl+Alt+delete still cleanly powerdown the server??

8 - It would seem that you can now upgrade your USB drive to a larger one via the "USB Creator" software. Does this mean I can use a bigger USB (mine is only 512mb) then use the "USB Creator" software (or legacy Install) using my existing key?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by flambot

Greetings,

Bigger USB drive failed to boot in unRAID?? Tried both USB Creator and manual method. It was exactly the same type of USB drive as the original (except 2gb). Bios was set to boot from USB. Very strange??

Reverted to Pro2 512mb USB and it booted into unRaid on first try (using the clean upgrade manual method).

Managed to figure things out mostly. Can someone help me with the questions below please.

Questions...

1    -   Clean powerdown (now part of unRaid 6)    --    Does Ctrl+Alt+Delete still do a clean powerdown of the server??

2    -   After everything was setup and running I found some extra folders on one of my HDD's > appdata, domains, isos, and system. I assume these are meant to be there?? Can they be deleted?? Can they be hidden?? (This last option would be okay)

3    -    Settings>Disk Settings>Filesystem defaults to xfs. Is this right? My entire system is reiserfs. I was worried when I went to change the disk spindown timer that clicking the apply button would mess things up. Would it have?? I changed the dropdown to reiserfs and clicked apply.

4    -   Flash is exported and public - want  make it no and private. Changing this in the gui makes in invisible in Windows Explorer. Do I have to set it back in the gui to make changes to the flash?? (Seems it doesn't ask for a password - should it??)

5    -   The User / Disk Shares are visible as well and currently public. I want to make them secure. If I change to secure in the Gui...will it ask for a password?? Do I have to set them back every time to write to them?? Can the shares be made password accessible? Is this advisable?? I don't like passwords cause they have messed with me several times before - and cause a lot of effort and stress to gets things working again :(

Many thanks

Edited by flambot

1.  Do not know about CTRL-ALT-`dEL but a quick press on the power button initiates a Powerdown.     You can also use the ‘powerdown’ command from the CLI.

2.  The extra folders (shares) are meant to be there and are part of supporting new capability such as dockers and VMs.    If you do not want them visible on the network then make sure their Export setting is set to No under the Share settings.

3.  ResiserFS is still supported for historical reasons but is deprecated and XFS is deemed to be more stable.     You want any new disks to be in either XFS or BTRFS format so you should leave the default set to one of those.   You can run a system with mixed formats, but if you use anything other than ReiserFS you lose the ability to revert to V5 (if that matters to you).

4.  A share (including the a Flash) needs to be set to Export = Yes or Yes( Hidden) to be accessible via the network (with the latter stopping it being listed so you need to know the name to use it).   The security setting on a share controls who can access it and whether a password is required.   public means anyone can access it without a password.

5.  Disk shares should only be visible if you have enabled this under Settings->Global Share settings.   The default is to make them not visible.   If they are enabled at the global level then you can control their visibility using the Export setting on each share.   For all shares you control who can access them and with what rights using the Security settings for the individual shares.  Using Public means no restrictions are applied.   You also have the options of ‘Secure’ and ‘Private’ and you should probably read up on those to see if you want one of those modes.  

it is worth pointing out that v6 has extensive help on all settings built into the GUI and this can be toggled on/off using the ‘?’ Icon at the top right of the GUI.   You can also frequently click on the field description to get it for just that field.

Edited by itimpi

@itimpi,

Really appreicate the insight here and the time you've taken to comment.

I haven't really followed the release of V6 at all, so it was a major upgrade for me - one I found rather stressful to be honest. The info you need is ALL over the forum and various places.

Guess I'm going to have to try Ctrl+Alt+Delete on my own. I don't want to have to fire up my personal pc, or the server monitor etc to shut down the server via CLi (or gui), so I used Ctrl+Alt+Delete as part of the Clean Powerdown plugin exclusively. I hope it works, but I guess a parity check will be the result it it doesn't - or perhaps a reboot.

I've found V6 to be somewhat complex to V5. I run a very simple setup (that's how I want it) and now there seems to be several orders of complexity over V5. I guess in time I will become increasingly familiar with it. I really do struggle to understand some of the terms and how they work, and I don't like experimenting because there is always the concern I will screw something up.

Yeah...I'll check out the help in V6. Forgot about that.

1 more question if I may. The "system" folder added to one of my HDD's has a 20+gb docker?? img file in there. Do I need it?

Again...thanks muchly

I do not even have a keyboard connected to my Unraid so I just use a quick press on the power button to start a clean shutdown.    I find that much easier than trying to use CTRL-ALT-DEL from a keyboard.   If not near the server I can use a browser on a phone/tablet to do this.     There is also the Control/R app available for iOS/Android that is optimised for controlling Unraid from a phone.

Although Unraid v6 is more complex you can ignore much of that if you are going to run as a basic NAS.   The system tries to strike a balance between offering powerful functionality and keeping simple as possible to administer.   Some points you will want to do immediately are:

• Make sure you have Notifications enabled so you get told pro-actively if there are ever any problems on the server.
  • install the Community Applications plugin that adds an Apps tab to the GUI and can be considered the equivalent to an App Store for managing plugins qnd docker apps on Unraid v6.     The range available is much richer than was the case on V5.
  • install the Fix Common Problems plugin as that will inform you of the things that are most frequently not set to ideal settings.

You will nearly always get a fast and friendly feedback in the forum if you have further questions.

Edited by itimpi

I missed this thread earlier and it appears that you are on your way to doing the conversion.  At the time when version 6.0 first came out, I put together a procedure to do the conversion as there were a number of things that had to addressed during the upgrade.  As soon as I posted that, it became apparent that things were not always that straightforward and simple for some folks.  A WIKI was started that grew as these issues were addressed.  Here is a link to the original thread and the WIKI:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/37354-upgrading-unraid-from-version-5-to-version-6/

and

https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

I looked over your system spec's.  You apparently have only 2GB of RAM.  That is marginal for version 6.X these days-- it is much happier with at least 4GB.  2GB will work for simple configurations and will be probably be sufficient for your purposes as you have described them so far.  However, you might have issues if you try to upgrade the Unraid version using the "Upgrade OS" tool in the GUI.  (You can still use the old procedure of just copying over all of the bz* files...)

The Promise TX4 SATA cards could be a problem I could not find out who made the controller chip for that card.  (The card is manufacture discontinued at this point.)  The Marvell based controllers have been quite problematic with version 6.X.  Most folks have switch to LSI based cards.  (they are available quite economical on E-bay.  Post back if you are one who has issues.) 

13 hours ago, itimpi said:

I do not even have a keyboard connected to my Unraid so I just use a quick press on the power button to start a clean shutdown.    I find that much easier than trying to use CTRL-ALT-DEL from a keyboard.   If not near the server I can use a browser on a phone/tablet to do this.     There is also the Control/R app available for iOS/Android that is optimised for controlling Unraid from a phone.

Although Unraid v6 is more complex you can ignore much of that if you are going to run as a basic NAS.   The system tries to strike a balance between offering powerful functionality and keeping simple as possible to administer.   Some points you will want to do immediately are: 

• Make sure you have Notifications enabled so you get told pro-actively if there are ever any problems on the server.
  • install the Community Applications plugin that adds an Apps tab to the GUI and can be considered the equivalent to an App Store for managing plugins qnd docker apps on Unraid v6.     The range available is much richer than was the case on V5.
  • install the Fix Common Problems plugin as that will inform you of the things that are most frequently not set to ideal settings.

You will nearly always get a fast and friendly feedback in the forum if you have further questions.

@itimpi - you sound like a real techhead 🥰 :D. I'd like to be, but too expensive for a pensioner 😭. Everything is more wife friendly as well.

Yep...did my first power button press last night. The system beeped a couple of times and the server was off really quickly - much faster than V5 using C+A+D. I will get used to it. My server has both keyboard and monitor, but I rarely use them...and my phone is off at 7:30pm. Just as easy to press the button.

Now...if you could tell me how to turn it OFF via the gui of KodiTV - then that would be something. I vaguely remember there was a script around years ago that let you do this. Not sure what happened to it.

Yes...I plan on just running a basic NAS. Don't need it to be any more than that,

Notifications (I think they are on), but I don't have email notifications set up. Should I?

I have installed CA (used it to install cache_dirs)

Was looking a Fix Common Problems thingee last night as well, but worried about my 512mb USB...and only 2Gb RAM. My MB is old (2007) so doubt I can find suitable RAM now.

Really appreciate the help. Cheers.

9 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

I missed this thread earlier and it appears that you are on your way to doing the conversion.  At the time when version 6.0 first came out, I put together a procedure to do the conversion as there were a number of things that had to addressed during the upgrade.  As soon as I posted that, it became apparent that things were not always that straightforward and simple for some folks.  A WIKI was started that grew as these issues were addressed.  Here is a link to the original thread and the WIKI:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/37354-upgrading-unraid-from-version-5-to-version-6/

and

https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

I looked over your system spec's.  You apparently have only 2GB of RAM.  That is marginal for version 6.X these days-- it is much happier with at least 4GB.  2GB will work for simple configurations and will be probably be sufficient for your purposes as you have described them so far.  However, you might have issues if you try to upgrade the Unraid version using the "Upgrade OS" tool in the GUI.  (You can still use the old procedure of just copying over all of the bz* files...)

The Promise TX4 SATA cards could be a problem I could not find out who made the controller chip for that card.  (The card is manufacture discontinued at this point.)  The Marvell based controllers have been quite problematic with version 6.X.  Most folks have switch to LSI based cards.  (they are available quite economical on E-bay.  Post back if you are one who has issues.) 

Hey Frank. Yeah...quite stressful. V5 was working perfectly for me (for years), so I wasn't keen to touch it - but I read Tom's comment on V5, so thought it was time to get it sorted.

I have my head around most things. Just the security side of it now. Although, with that in place (while more secure) makes managing the system much more difficult. Hell...reading about having root pasworded means you have to log in and out of the unRAID webgui. And ...you would have to do this every time you write to the server wouldn't you. Sounds damn painful - but probably not as painful as someone messing with my content.

I'm hoping my 2Gb of RAM is enough. Not sure I could find more cause my server is old (2007). It is a basic NAS.

Thanks for the insight into the "GUI Upgrade". I'll make sure the array is stopped, then give it a try. I guess it will crash if there isn't enough RAM to sustain it??

No longer using the Promise TX4 cards. Made my system a lot slower, and when HDD's got large enough, I've managed to reduce the number (16xHDD's down to 8x) so I no longer needed them. They are still in the server though. I do use one of them if I want to preclear a new drive - but that hasn't happened it years. However...in saying that, I'll be up for a new HDD soon, and I guess I'll want to use it then. All my HDD's run off the MB's SATA ports (8x). Eventually, I'd like to get down to 1x parity, 3x HDD's - but large drives are so expensive here in New Zealand.

Seems at this stage I am through the scary part of it - thank goodness. Time will tell.

My only issue now is trying to figure out how to use the "user" part of unRAID. Not sure I fully understand these - or how they should be set up. I'm worried if I change something now, my system will stop working and it will be difficult to write, (or even read) the server from other computers. I'm afraid I don't really like to experiment  - as if I stuff it up, I don't have anyone that can sort it out for me. Guess I'll have too 🙄.

One question I do have...ON the right-hand side of the GUI (on numerous pages) toward the top of the page there is a little box (or two) with arrows either side of it that says something like select (with a dropdown box). My server isn't on right now to see it. What are these for??

Thanks for the help. Always appreciated.

Edited by flambot
1 hour ago, flambot said:

My MB is old (2007) so doubt I can find suitable RAM now.

On the contrary, RAM for that board is still available and cheap.    V6 will be much happier with 4GB RAM.  If you ever think you will use docker containers, 8GB (the max. capacity of your motherboard) is better.

https://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSP5BE.html

These are US prices, but, you get the idea.  Just go to the website for various RAM manufacturers (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, G.Skill, etc.)  and use their configurator to see what RAM is compatible with your motherboard then you can shop around by model number.

Edited by Hoopster
13 minutes ago, flambot said:

you have to log in and out of the unRAID webgui.

In my case, I only have to log once for each time I restart the browser on my PC.  Once logged into the GUI, it stays logged-in. 

15 minutes ago, flambot said:

And ...you would have to do this every time you write to the server wouldn't you. Sounds damn painful - but probably not as painful as someone messing with my content.

You still have the option of setting up your your shares are 'Public' which means everyone can read or write to them.  ('Public' is still the default.) There are two more options:  (1) 'Secure' which means any one can read them but to have write privileges they have to be an assigned user ('root' is not longer allowed!!!)  to the share with a password and  (2)  'Private' which means only assigned users can access the share with the privileges ('read only' or 'read-write') assigned per user.

Depending on your local security requirements (Do you give visitors and family members access to your WIFI?), you can taylor the level of security easily to what you need.  You can also more easily secure your shares against ransomware and Malware from LAN-connected users.   

22 minutes ago, flambot said:

One question I do have...ON the right-hand side of the GUI (on numerous pages) toward the top of the page there is a little box (or two) with arrows either side of it that says something like select (with a dropdown box). My server isn't on right now to see it. What are these for??

I am not sure what you are referring to BUT version 6.X has a 'Help' system.  Look on the Toolbar at the top near the right side, you will see a '?-mark' in-a-circle icon.  Click on it to toggle the 'Help' on.  It will generally tell you what the choices are and what they do.   A lot of times if you pause the cursor over a setting description in a tab in the GUI, it will display the 'Help' for that setting.  

Version 6.X may seem more complex to you are this juncture but believe me it is actually quite easy to use.  What use to be a plugin requiring detailed customization is now a Docker app that simply works.  The Notification system can easily alert you to problems before you reach that compounding point where data recovery is difficult.  UPS support is now built-in. 

6 hours ago, Hoopster said:

On the contrary, RAM for that board is still available and cheap.    V6 will be much happier with 4GB RAM.  If you ever think you will use docker containers, 8GB (the max. capacity of your motherboard) is better.

https://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSP5BE.html

These are US prices, but, you get the idea.  Just go to the website for various RAM manufacturers (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, G.Skill, etc.)  and use their configurator to see what RAM is compatible with your motherboard then you can shop around by model number.

Wow...never thought it would still be available (never looked though). Looks like I'll have to import though as I can't find any locally. Be nice to have some extra RAM - now available that unRAID is 64bit.

Can I use what's in the server already and just add more, or should I get new RAM that is all the same brand (type)??

How did you know what MB I have? I thought I had it on a signature, but I don't see that on this forum

Edited by flambot

Frank - Thanks for the help

They are in the Disk Share Security settings (one place I noticed them). If I read the help properly, I think they are for copying security settings between drives so you don't have to change them all individually.

That help thingee is great. I'll have to remember it. One downside is that there is no help on the users page. I'm still trying to understand this part of it. I never played with this at all in V5.

Okay...so I set one of my disk shares (I always write directly to the disk so I control where everything is) to secure. When I tried to write to that disk via Windows explorer, I was told via a dialog box that I needed permission.  How do I get permission?? I am guessing I have to set up a user to do this?? Once I do that, I'm assuming I'll have to give myself credentials or something. How does my windows machine know what user I am? I suppose I have to tell it via the dialog box.  Okay, I just set up a "user" and figured out how it works. I gives me the option on the windows dialog box to remember login info. Should I check that box? Will my windows machine remember them across a reboot?

If I change these settings I'm going to have to go and change my little ion htpc settings to access the shares. That'll be interesting. Haven't looked in there for years. This is why I don't touch things when its working. 👴👴 👴 Being this is tough!

Thanks Frank for the explanation of the security things above. It helped. I think I'm slowly getting it sorted. Really appreciated. Cheers

PS - these double scroll bars on the forum are wicked!

Edited by flambot
8 hours ago, flambot said:

How did you know what MB I have? I thought I had it on a signature, but I don't see that on this forum

Click on {Your Name} --> Account Settings --> Signatures --> View Signatures

Can I use what's in the server already and just add more, or should I get new RAM that is all the same brand (type)??

You don't necessarily need all RAM to be exactly the same.  It is best when the motherboard supports dual channel RAM that the paired RAM DIMMS be of the same manufacturer and model number.

One thing to consider though is your current RAM configuration.  If your motherboard has four RAM slots and you got to your current 2GB with two 1GB sticks of RAM, in the remaining two slots, the maximum you can install is two 2GB sticks bringing total RAM up to 6GB.  That is plenty for V6 running just as a NAS.  However, if you want to play with multiple docker containers, 8GB would be better and you would need to replace the current 1GB sticks with 2GB  RAM sticks for the 8GB capacity.

Of course, if your current 2GB RAM was achieved with four 512MB sticks, then you have no RAM slots available and increasing the RAM would require replacing the current RAM.

Most MB are not particular about that.  However, just to be safe, Google your MB and query about it.  Should yours happen to be one, you will generally find plenty of posts regarding it.  Be open to E-bay or its more local brethren, you can often find bargains that way.  

Okay, I just set up a "user" and figured out how it works. I gives me the option on the windows dialog box to remember login info. Should I check that box? Will my windows machine remember them across a reboot?

This is probably the Windows "remember login" feature. Lots of people use it (I don't), others hate it, and some have had reason to regret using it later. 

Don't use it if you don't log onto your PC!  That will be your only protection if any one has physical access to your PC.  Second, it will always log you onto your server whenever you logon to your PC if you map a drive.  I would also suggest you read this post (and the next several ones) for more insight:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

It is a  Forum setting.  Go to  the top of the page and look at the right side of the header.  Click on the dropdown box by your user name.  Account Settings   >>>   Signature   and look for the slider for "View Signature". 

They are in the Disk Share Security settings (one place I noticed them). If I read the help properly, I think they are for copying security settings between drives so you don't have to change them all individually.

Hopefully, you are aware of the Disk Share to User Share problem/bug.  (By default, version 6.X has the disk shares turned OFF for this reason!)  You can read about it here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/32836-user-share-copy-bug/#comment-316512

The issue is clearly stated in the first post and the balance of the the thread looks for a solution without 'breaking"  some way people use Disk Shares.  (It never was found...)  You can turn on and use Disk Shares but you are responsible to remember to NEVER  copy from a Disk Share to a User Share (and vice versa) !!!   

Edited by Frank1940

@Hoopster - thanks to the insight. I looked for that signature setting and didn't find it. Now I have it turned on. Kudos to Frank for this as well.

My server has 2x 1gb RAM sticks (2 slots still empty). I am thinking I will get 4x2Gb sticks (total 8gb) to future proof. Do I need to worry about the numbers in the RAM - like 667, 533, etc. Cost is ALWAYS a factor?

As for dockers, I don't really know what they are used for - or how I can use them. Lots of people here have really tricky systems - way beyond my technical level. I always wanted something simple - but things change and perhaps a docker can offer something I haven't considered.

6 minutes ago, flambot said:

Do I need to worry about the numbers in the RAM - like 667, 533, etc.

Read the MB's manual and it will tell what the speed requirements are. 

8 minutes ago, flambot said:

As for dockers, I don't really know what they are used for - or how I can use them. Lots of people here have really tricky systems - way beyond my technical level. I always wanted something simple - but things change and perhaps a docker can offer something I haven't considered.

Dockers are basically a plugin that has been setup to run in a 'virtual' sandbox.  Everything need to run it is in the package for each App including any special libraries.  (No more problems with two plugins requiring different versions of the same library!)

The best way to handle Plugins and Docker Apps is to install the Community Applications plugin.  You can find it here: 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/38582-plug-in-community-applications/

Here is a list of the categories for the currently available Apps and Plugins:

• Backup
  • Cloud
  • Downloaders
  • Game Servers
  • Home Automation
  • Network Services
  • Media Servers
  • Media Applications
  • Productivity
  • Tools / Utilities
  • Other
  • Plugins

And the Dynamix version 6 plugins (by the developer of the GUI for version 6.X) can be found here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/34889-dynamix-v6-plugins/

@Frank1940 - MB manual is a good idea. Should have thought that myself. Doh!

As the the "dockers" part - you are clear this is an English forum aren't you 😁.

I have a lot to study up on. I'll try and sort out my RAM first. That'll mean some time as I'll have to import it. I've had a very quick look at the dockers (I have installed CA), but I didn't see anything that I was initially interested in. A lot of the names are meaningless to me anyway. Need to spend some time learning.

I've only ever written to the disk shares (actually never thought of writing via the user shares). I like to put my content where I want it. I have thought about turning export on and off on the disk shares, but it adds another level of complexity I'm not sure I want (or remember). I'll give the login window in explorer a go without checking that box. I guess once I login into the disk share, it'll stay open for that session (meaning until I reboot). I have to setup the security levels as well., but that is a matter of time and experiment as it is still all alien to me.

Never did know about the disk shares bug (but I'll try and keep it on the radar). Memory isn't what it used to be!! 😭

You will probably see I figured the signature thing and it is now on.  Thanks muchly.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:30 PM, flambot said:

You will probably see I figured the signature thing and it is now on.  Thanks muchly.

Your signature was always visible to those of us who had 'view signatures' enabled.  By enabling it for you, you now see everyone's signature including your own 😀

You definitely do not need the fastest RAM available, but, as @Frank1940 said you should check your MB manual to see what RAM speeds your MB supports.  Just because RAM is available in a particular speed does not mean your MB will support it.

Edited by Hoopster
Just now, Hoopster said:

Your signature was always visible to those of us who had 'view signatures' enabled.  By enabling it for you, you now see everyone's signature including your own 😀

You definitely do not need the fasted RAM available, but, as @Frank1940 said you should check your MB manual to see what RAM speeds your MB supports.  Just because RAM is available in a particular speed does not mean your MB will support it.

Thanks for telling me that. I didn't know you could see it. At least its on for me now.

Good point on the RAM. I'll do some reading. Thanks

Hello,

I need some further explanation of these extra folders placed on one of my HDD's during the V6 upgrade (appdata, domains, isos, and system.) Not sure if unRAID 6 added them, but I only noticed them after I installed CA.

I was told they are part of the new system - and if I didn't want to see them, I should set export to "no"

However, export is already set to "no" and they are plainly visible as a user share. Why??

The docker one has a 20gb img file in it. Do I need it? 20 Gb is like 6-10 movies of space. What happens if I delete them? Surely the system is smart enough to re-create them if or when they are needed. If ever? I don't use dockers, so that one is definitely not needed. Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

The docker .img file should only be created if the Docker service is set to be enabled.     It is used to store all binaries relating to running docker containers.   If you are not using Docker and the service is set to not start then you can delete it and it will get recreated if you ever turn on the Docker service.

All top level folders on any drive will automatically show up as a User Share on the shares tab regardless of how they are created.

appdata is the default location where variable information such as configuration details and working data relating to Docker containers is stored.

domains is the default location for storing VM images

isos isn’t the default location for storing iso images used for installing OS into VMs

system is the default location for where support files for the Docker and VM services are stored.

in theory these can all be deleted if you never use the services they relate to, but I am not sure if they would not just get created again.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:45 AM, itimpi said:

The docker .img file should only be created if the Docker service is set to be enabled.     It is used to store all binaries relating to running docker containers.   If you are not using Docker and the service is set to not start then you can delete it and it will get recreated if you ever turn on the Docker service.

All top level folders on any drive will automatically show up as a User Share on the shares tab regardless of how they are created.

appdata is the default location where variable information such as configuration details and working data relating to Docker containers is stored.

domains is the default location for storing VM images

isos isn’t the default location for storing iso images used for installing OS into VMs

system is the default location for where support files for the Docker and VM services are stored.

in theory these can all be deleted if you never use the services they relate to, but I am not sure if they would not just get created again.

Thank you for this. Makes a lot of sense.

The docker .img file should only be created if the Docker service is set to be enabled.

Seems it was enabled by default. I have disabled it and there was an option to delete it in V6. I made a backup of all the other folders and files and then made them hidden. At least I don't have to see them.

unRAID was reporting my Asus P5B-E does not have Intel VT-x tech - but I found a post that says it must be turned on in the bios. Could be processor dependent though??

I have setup all my security and managed to get it sorted at this point. So good to go.

Really appreciate all the assistance. It's been fantastic. Thank you

15 hours ago, flambot said:

unRAID was reporting my Asus P5B-E does not have Intel VT-x tech - but I found a post that says it must be turned on in the bios. Could be processor dependent though??

Yes, your processor must also support VT-x/VT-d and your processor does not support virtualization technologies.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/29739/intel-pentium-processor-e2160-1m-cache-1-80-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html

This is only an issue if you want to run virtual machines on your server.  With the hardware you have, that is not really an option anyway.  

Docker does not require virtualization technologies support.

12 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Yes, your processor must also support VT-x/VT-d and your processor does not support virtualization technologies.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/29739/intel-pentium-processor-e2160-1m-cache-1-80-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html

This is only an issue if you want to run virtual machines on your server.  With the hardware you have, that is not really an option anyway.  

Docker does not require virtualization technologies support.

Disappointing. Doesn't surprise me though as my machine is fairly old. I was thinking that perhaps it would be nice to be able to run a VM of another OS or something so I don't have to run them on my pc. Oh well...who knows what will happen it the future! The next thing is still some extra RAM. As a pensioner, have to be careful of the pennies 🙁

It 

1 hour ago, flambot said:

Disappointing. Doesn't surprise me though as my machine is fairly old. I was thinking that perhaps it would be nice to be able to run a VM of another OS or something so I don't have to run them on my pc. Oh well...who knows what will happen it the future! The next thing is still some extra RAM. As a pensioner, have to be careful of the pennies 🙁

It is still worth checking whether your processor supports vt-x as that is enough to run a VM if you do not want to pass through hardware such a GPU to a VM and are happy to live with emulated versions.   Such VMs can still be very useful if you are not worried about the graphics performance of a VM but are intending to use it for some other purpose.  Most processors that are 64-bit capable support at least that level of virtualisation.    As was mentioned it does also need virtualisation to be enabled in the motherboard BIOS settings.