All SSD UNRAID pool

9 hours ago, Varun Reddy said:

Hello, looking to switch to UNRAID from freenas. Has the support for an all SSD pool (not asking about SSD cache) gotten any better with the recent releases of UNRAID?

I assume you mean SSD "array" (SSD cache is a pool).

SSD array has worked for quite some time, you just don't get TRIM support and depending on your SSD, parity support. Jonnie has reported using his SSD fine in array with parity (except for 1 SSD that always given him 1 or 2 parity error IIRC).

SSD cache pool is just normal RAID like FreeNAS (albeit I don't think RAID 5 works but then I don't do RAID 5).

This conversation got my interest.  I'm surprised to read that it works.  Particularly when you say some SSD's don't have parity support, which is really like saying it doesn't work.  Can you elaborate how many, which type of SSD's don't work with Parity?  My understanding was that SSD arrays are still unsupported and generally not recommended?

Thanks.

I tested a number of different SSDs in the past and all but one worked fine in the array besides the degrading performance because of the lack of trim support, i.e., parity was always in sync, the exception was the Kingston V300, if the server was shutdown for a couple of hours there would always be 2 or 3 sync errors on a parity sync, but of course there might be others.