Building some storage

Hello folks, hi, I am new here, I heard about you guys from Linus Tech Tips, and interested in the software however before I purchase it, I have some question I am sure you will be able to help, 

I am soon to get myself a storage unit server, with some space on it, its for films for plex and maybe other applications, I have it running on Centos and its working fine, my question are, does Unraid run like an independent operating system on a bootable flash drive, will it work on any flash drive, and will I be able to add more storage later down the road

• does Unraid run like an operating system?
  • what flash drives does it support?
  • can I add more to the system

thank you for your time..

Unraid is an operating system

The boot flash must have a unique GUID for the license. It doesn't need to be large, I recommend a USB2 flash, 4GB will be plenty, no more than 32GB to keep it simple since it must be formatted FAT32.

Expanding storage is one of the best features of Unraid. You can mix drive sizes. You can easily get more capacity by adding drives or by replacing drives with larger ones.

• Like 2

You could even install CentOS on unraid, yet you could even install unraid on unraid... xD

The nice thing about unraid is, you can do ALL of it.

If you want to keep it simple, there are plently dockers and plugins for literally everything you normally want to do. Like filesharing legal linux isos and plex dockers. 

it can be as advanced or as simpel as you like (but watch all the LTT Videos about unraid then you get a good idea) - I also came from LTT. :)

Edited by nuhll
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, nuhll said:

Then this is perfect. Its all point and click, massive loads of step by step videos and or other tutorials for nearly all aspects you might need later. And in worst case you can ask here or on reddit for help.

Also the biggest + is that unraid is just a one time cost. (how much better can it get?)

sounds so true, I am a big fan of one time cost...  yaaaay!! lol