Off to a rocky start, pulled power during initialisation

Soo i've just started up with unraid

Off to a rocky start.

My plan was to run pre clear disk on all my hdds, old and new.

But when i started i was not allowed to do a pre clear without starting the array.

So i set my 1TB SSD to cached HDD, a 10TB Ironwolf to parity and 10+8TB Ironwolf as disk 1 and 2.

Then i pressed start array, and ticked the format box.

I left for about two hours only to meet a bunch of error messages stating overheating. None of my disk fans were on and the disks were roughly 65 degrees.

So in a small panic i opened the case and fiddled with the wiring so i got them back on, BUT while doing this i accidentally pulled the power. Meaning that during initialisation of my setup (it was 3-4% or something i think). I got a hard shutdown.

When i turned the computer back on and went into the web interface everything looks ok, its green.

It shows disk 1 and 2 as empty and running green with 18tb total. Have a warning on parity as disabled and the only option i had was to do a read check.

What do i do now? I honestly really want to start over but i cant find anywhere to actualle "delete" the created array.

I have 8 more disk full with content that is supposed to be emptied one bye one over to the two first disks before going trough a pre clear x amount of times. Some of the disks are old and i want to make sure i can trust em. If i now start to move the data over to this new array and the array goes belly up... 

16 hours ago, svennand said:

But when i started i was not allowed to do a pre clear without starting the array.

This doesn’t sound correct.

A “preclear” is done before adding a disk to the array. Hence the name PREclear. This is done using either a script (there are several to choose from) or the preclear plugin. This was widely used at one time due to the fact that unRAID required the array to be offline while a clear was in progress which might take several days. Now some people still use the preclear for stress testing new drives since it involves a series of reads and writes to every sector of a drive and can be run multiple times.

A “clear” is done by unRAID when you add a drive to the array if you haven’t precleared it. It writes zeros to every sector but doesn’t really stress the drive and only runs once.

From your description it sounds like you are clearing the drives rather than preclearing. Either process will result in a drive that can be used in the array, but only preclear really stress tests the drive. You should know though that the preclear plugin and scripts are not well supported currently. Some people have had problems with them with recent versions of unRAID.

Yeah i got the "pre" part, which was why i found it odd i had to start up the array before being allowed to run the preclear on the unassigned discs. meaning the first i set up in the array would not go through the stress test. At 94% now on parity sync/data rebuild from starting a new array.

Disk 1 and two only have reads though and the parity has the same amount of writes. So im guessing it doesnt do the part with writing everything zero in the clear prosess.

I got a CRC error count = 1 on my brand spanking new 1TB Samsung Evo 860 drive though that is in cache. Wondering if i should be worried. Its currently connected directly on S-ata 0 port on mobo which is i think is intel controller (port 0-1 is intel, rest is ASMedia ASM1061 i think) its an Asrock Extreme 4 Z77.

Since you are building parity there is no need to clear the drive. Parity is being computed from the data already on the drive. Once you have a valid parity and want to add a new drive that drive will have to be cleared so that parity is still accurate.

more info- https://wiki.unraid.net/Parity#How_parity_works

CRC errors are usually hardware related. Loose or bad cables is often the cause.

Edited by wgstarks
10 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Since you are building parity there is no need to clear the drive. Parity is being computed from the data already on the drive. Once you have a valid parity and want to add a new drive that drive will have to be cleared so that parity is still accurate.

more info- https://wiki.unraid.net/Parity#How_parity_works

CRC errors are usually hardware related. Loose or bad cables is often the cause.

Thanks. I will go over my cable and such after its done with the array building (learned my lesson xD)

Hoping the IBM/LSI cards turn up soon soo i can break ways with using the mobo connectors.

5 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Do you have the Preclear and Unassigned Devices plugins installed? These will show unassigned drives in the main tab on the webui and a button to start a preclear if that is still what you want. Some people have had issues when trying to preclear too many drives at the same time. I’ve never had any problems with one at a time though.

Yeah i have preclear and unassigned devices plugin installed (been notoriously watching spaceinvader one's youtube videos to prepare myself).

Probably gonna do 1 or 2 drives at the time with the preclear. But given that it writes zeros anyways  im contemplating about dropping it. I have two drives that are new (8TB each) from WD My Book (shucked to get white RED drives) which might be worthwhile to do a proper preclear stress test, the rest has been working fine for years.