Roon docker, unRaid Roon support, "steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver"

I thought I had setup the backup but it would appear that there is nothing in the Backup folder, sod.

Can I copy the data as a backup? According to the config it is in /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data I can find a cache folder on the server but there doesn't appear to be anything in it.

This isn't a list of commands to execute. They are the general steps to removing, and reinstalling any docker from scratch.

1. remove the Docker using unRaid's web gui

2. remove the associated appdata folder

3. re-install the specific docker

The example I listed, and technique, is on my own system. Your system, and the way that you delete the associated folder, might be different!

I have a feeling that the data was being stored on the Cache drive and my issues have been caused by the cache drive dying. 

Am I right in thinking that the data was being stored on the cache drive is what is indicated

"/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/app",

"/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data"

what this indicates or am I barking up the wrong tree?

7 hours ago, ridley said:

I have a feeling that the data was being stored on the Cache drive and my issues have been caused by the cache drive dying. 

Am I right in thinking that the data was being stored on the cache drive is what is indicated

"/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/app",

"/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data"

what this indicates or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Yes, by default my template stores your roonserver data in your appdata folder on your cache drive. If you don't use your cache drive for your appdata folder then you can change those volume mappings to:

"/mnt/user/appdata/roonserver/app"

"/mnt/user/appdata/roonserver/data"

Unfortunately, if your Roon CORE is already corrupt I don't believe you'll be able to backup your Roon data by copying the appdata folder and get it to work again. I think you'll have to do as @dkerlee mentioned and delete the container from the UNRAID docker page, and then manually remove the appdata folder. You can do this any number of ways, using the command @dkerlee mentioned, using a command line based visual file manager like Midnight Commander, or by using a file manager running in another docker container, like Double Commander (available via Community Apps) to manage your directories. Then you can reinstall the RoonServer container with whatever mappings you want for your appdata directory. Of course, Roon will have to build your library from scratch which is annoying, but it happens at times to the best of us. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 5:04 PM, dan4UR said:

Quiet happy with this docker. Runs well. But if there'll be an update, would the docker container also be updated or does the core get the update automatically ?

You have to update from within the Roon app running on your computer or other device. Through the app you can update both the locally running Roon software as well as the Roon CORE running in this Docker container. 

1 hour ago, xrqp said:

Did anybody do the Roon update that came in about May 20?  I am afraid to be the first.  Every time I start the program it nags me.

Yep, I’ve done it and it worked fine. 

I’m happy to help work out any issues should they arise in the future, but, to the best of my knowledge, internal CORE updates have been stable for a while now.

• 3 weeks later...

What ports does this container use?  Can I somehow see which ports it uses, like with most containers?

I had a conflict, where an Emby container wanted to use port 1900.  Some trial and error gave me a clue that this Roon container may have used 1900.    I reassigned emby port 1900 to 1901, so now emby runs, but not well.  I have had problems with emby, and other unraid things, so now I wonder if this was the cause.

UPDATE 2021-6-20:  I fixed a path problem in Emby and then no longer had any port problems with Emby and Roon.  

Edited by xrqp
9 hours ago, xrqp said:

What ports does this container use?  Can I somehow see which ports it uses, like with most containers?

I had a conflict, where an Emby container wanted to use port 1900.  Some trial and error gave me a clue that this Roon container may have used 1900.    I reassigned emby port 1900 to 1901, so now emby runs, but not well.  I have had problems with emby, and other unraid things, so now I wonder if this was the cause.

According to the Roon community forums, Roon uses Port 9003/UDP and Ports 9100-9200/TCP. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to change this. That's because, although you can remap the Roon Server Docker ports to different host ports, I don't know of any way to change the ports that Roon clients (on your endpoints and controller devices) use to search for a local Roon CORE.

I also ran into this same issue when first starting to use Roon but just ended up having to remap other things and let Roon use its native ports.

Edited by xthursdayx

So you figured out that same port was being used for roon container and other container?   How?

The way I did it:  looking at error logs  when trying to start emby said somethin like "conflict with port 1900".  Roon did not say what it used, so I stopped Roon container.  Only then was I able to start emby.  Then I remapped emby 1900 to 1901. Then both could run.  

Maybe someone here can figure out how to see what ports it uses.

UPDATE 2021-6-20:  I fixed a path problem in Emby and then no longer had any port problems with Emby and Roon.  

Edited by xrqp
7 hours ago, xrqp said:

So you figured out that same port was being used for roon container and other container?   How?

The way I did it:  looking at error logs  when trying to start emby said somethin like "conflict with port 1900".  Roon did not say what it used, so I stopped Roon container.  Only then was I able to start emby.  Then I remapped emby 1900 to 1901. Then both could run.  

Maybe someone here can figure out how to see what ports it uses.

I'm not sure why Roon would have a conflict with Emby at 1900... When I had an issue with port conflicts it was because I was using a port in the range mentioned above. To quote the another, more recent post (from last month) from the Roon forums discussing Roon's port use:

Not official support but, the Roon core must be reachable not just via UDP 9003 and TCP 9100 - 9200 ports, but multicast and broadcast communication must also be allowed in the firewall.

^ That post was specifically about firewall routing obviously, but is in agreement with the post from 2015 that I quoted above from Brian, Roon's CTO. 

Brian LuczkiewiczRoon Labs: CTO

May '15

Reiterating it here in case anyone else has similar needs in the future:

Starting in the next build, you’ll want to forward:

UDP port 9003

TCP ports 9100-9200

It could be that the issues you're having relates to Roon's need to use multicast, but I'm not sure. Until anyone else runs into this issue it will be a bit difficult to troubleshoot. I'll be of any help that I can though.

Wikipedia says "UPnP uses UDP port 1900".  Now I find, for some reason, both Roon and Emby experts find it easy to overlook that they both use port 1900 for UPNP and DLNA, but when pointed out, they agree it is true.  

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-server-udp-1900/58299/10

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61815-what-are-embys-linux-server-ports/.

With emby port 1900 kept as 1900, I noticed, if I start emby container first, then roon, then they both start, but I cannot delete files from within emby.  And, if roon container is started first, I cannot start emby container.

When i remapped my emby container port 1900 to be 1901 on the host, it did allow me to start emby when roon was running, but now I cannot delete media files (on unraid array) from within emby.  I turned off Roon and kept it off, set the port back to 1900 for emby, and then emby worked good and could delete media files.  So I have not solved my problem yet, but I am sure it is to do with port 1900.  If anyone knows how to fix this, please tell. 

Here is my emby settings.

image.thumb.png.83c14503afa3ea04c11c7adb2cb21145.png

Edited by xrqp

10 minutes later. With emby kept 1900 to 1900,  I rebooted unraid.  Both roon and emby containers autostarted.  Emby works correct - I can delete files.  But now I get a "fix common problems" message that says 

image.thumb.png.976b038e7173778fc26c6d47e1fe59df.png

Before clicking "apply fix" i look at roon container settings and it says "Docker Hub URL: https://hub.docker.com/r/steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver/ "  Is this bad?  Is it a result of UPNP not working?  Should I click "apply fix"?

Next, I turned off all autostarts then rebooted again, started only roon, kept emby off, and I still get the same warning about roonserver template URL.

Edited by xrqp
51 minutes ago, xrqp said:

10 minutes later. With emby kept 1900 to 1900,  I rebooted unraid.  Both roon and emby containers autostarted.  Emby works correct - I can delete files.  But now I get a "fix common problems" message that says 

image.thumb.png.976b038e7173778fc26c6d47e1fe59df.png

Before clicking "apply fix" i look at roon container settings and it says "Docker Hub URL: https://hub.docker.com/r/steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver/ "  Is this bad?  Is it a result of UPNP not working?  Should I click "apply fix"?

Next, I turned off all autostarts then rebooted again, started only roon, kept emby off, and I still get the same warning about roonserver template URL.

It seems you're reading that warning message incorrectly... in my template the "Docker Hub URL" points to steefdebruijn's image, because he maintains the image and I haven't seen any need to fork it. The warning is telling you that the TEMPLATE URL (not Docker Hub url) of your current docker container is different than that specified by the author (me). That message is just the result of me updating my docker template repo files, which then updates them in Community Apps. You can apply the fix or not, it doesn't really matter, since I didn't actually change the template itself, just the organization of my repo. That fix also doesn't have anything to do with the other issues you're experiencing.

Unfortunately, I'm not still not sure what to tell you regarding the issue you're having, particularly given that things seemed to work for you after a reboot. I will say that I run emby on a non-native port while running roon on its native ports and haven't run into any issues myself. 

Roon and Emby seem to be working now.  Maybe it just needed one or two reboots. 

xthursdayx, do you mean that the TEMPLATE URL warning is to be expected, but of no concern, and that it is OK, regardless if i click nothing, click fix, or click ignore?  If the answer is "yes" that would be good news.

Edited by xrqp
13 hours ago, xrqp said:

Roon and Emby seem to be working now.  Maybe it just needed one or two reboots. 

xthursdayx, do you mean that the TEMPLATE URL warning is to be expected, but of no concern, and that it is OK, regardless if i click nothing, click fix, or click ignore?  If the answer is "yes" that would be good news.

Yep, all that clicking "yes" will do will update the link to my Roon Unraid Template .xml, it won't actually change the settings you already have in your template. But you can ignore it as well, shouldn't make any difference as the changes I made were purely organizational any way.

I'll always update here if it's necessary to make any major template changes.