Roon docker, unRaid Roon support, "steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver"

Hi,

I installed the Roon docker on my new UnRaid server. At the first start of any client I use (pc, tablet or smartphone) everything works without problems, but as soon as I exit the application on any of the devices and try to re-enter the application Roon does not find the server. This happens to me on all my three devices (PC, tablet and smartphone). Use is only on the local network. The application parameters on the Docker are all perfect.
Where can the problem be?
Thank you.

Good news for this Roon container.  I now think I did not have a port conflict problem.  After I fixed an emby path problem, all works good for both emby and this Roon container, without any port re-assignments.  

Also I did another update of this Roon container yesterday, and all is working.

• 1 month later...

ROON was working fine earlier in the week but since I rebooted the server for an unrelated reason the Clients just sit there "Waiting for remote core"

The server has started and the logs look clean with no errors that I can see.

Any ideas other than choosing another core and rebuilding which is something I would like to avoid?

The update nag came back, every time i restart Roon on any devices.  I succeeded in doing update today, to 1.8 build 806.  It was scary at first, since my remotes did not work at first.  I don't know how much of this was needed, or if I caused the problem by what I did, so I just tried things to fix it:

1. Rebooted unraid, but remotes still not working (remotes are windows PC, and iphone)
  2. Uninstalled Roon on the remote PC. Downloaded new Roon to remote PC.  All is working now.  The iphone remote started working correctly after this, without doing re-install or anything.

Only 194 nags and updates to go, to get to even 1000.  Give me a break, Roon.  Thankfully this docker is handling updates well.

Edited by xrqp
  • 3 weeks later...

MY MUSIC FILES DISAPPEARED, from my music share.  

It happened about 8 months ago and I recovered most/all of it by doing xfs repair. 

It happened yesterday and I am still seeking advice at My music disappeared. before I do xfs repair.

But I am wondering if unraid is not robust.  Or it could be my harddrive(s) fault.  Or it could be I just did a Roon update.  Anyone else using Unraid and Roon having this problem?

On 8/10/2021 at 11:21 PM, xrqp said:

MY MUSIC FILES DISAPPEARED, from my music share.  

It happened about 8 months ago and I recovered most/all of it by doing xfs repair. 

It happened yesterday and I am still seeking advice at My music disappeared. before I do xfs repair.

But I am wondering if unraid is not robust.  Or it could be my harddrive(s) fault.  Or it could be I just did a Roon update.  Anyone else using Unraid and Roon having this problem?

That’s very alarming @xrqp! Glad you were able to resurrect your lost data last time and hope you’ll be able to again. My guess would be that problem is your harddrives or something about how your unRAID shares are set up. I’ve never had this problem or heard of anyone having it in relation to Roon. Sorry not to be of more help, but best of luck. And definitely let us know if you do end up finding some connection to Roon. I’ve already been working on either making a new base image or adding a PR to Steef’s, so it’s a good time if some work needs to be done.

I was able to do successful xfs repair again and I got my music back.  It was a hard drive problem.  I do wonder if Unraid is not able to deal with hard drive issues that other software can deal with, since I have much fewer hard drive problems on Windows.  Just one anecdote.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the Roon server working without an issue & then I stopped using it for a few days by stopping it in the dashboard. I tried to start the server today & it will not work. I have the following message in the log

/run.sh: line 39: /app/RoonServer/start.sh: No such file or directory

I have tried to re-install the container, but still get the same error message in the log.

Any ideas what I need to do to get the server to work again?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2021 at 4:21 PM, highgear said:

Just got an email from Roon about some major updates to Linux cores. I guess they’re switching from Mono to .NET which requires libicu to be installed ahead of the update. Any thoughts as to if anything needs to be done on our end for this to work properly?

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/linux-performance-improvements

I'll contact Steef about it to make sure he's planning to update the core image. If not, I'll roll my own and update here. I'll report back here once I know though. 

Edit: the necessary libraries are already installed in this image, so no changes are necessary. This has already been tested by someone running the beta update. Please see this Github issue for more info. Cheers!

Edited by xthursdayx
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
19 hours ago, xthursdayx said:

I'll contact Steef about it to make sure he's planning to update the core image. If not, I'll roll my own and update here. I'll report back here once I know though. 

Edit: the necessary libraries are already installed in this image, so no changes are necessary. This has already been tasted by someone running the beta update. Please see this Github issue for more info. Cheers!

Thanks for the reply, great news!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for complaining, but it is info.   I got the usual nag to update roon.  I  knew if I said "no" to the update, it would nag constantly into the infinite future.  So I gave in, I updated roon from my ipad running Roon Remote, and now nothing works.  The 3 devices that run roon do NOT work.  the Unraid server with roon container - No web interface but I guess it is workin.  And I cannot figure out how to undo the update, and Roon website i was not able to find info, not even how to contact a HUMAN.  So I sent in a help request in "how to contact a human". 

There is definitely humans here, so Howdy to y'all.  and if you got anything to add, I'm all ears (eyes?).  Friday night and roon ain't working blues.

10 hours ago, xrqp said:

Sorry for complaining, but it is info.   I got the usual nag to update roon.  I  knew if I said "no" to the update, it would nag constantly into the infinite future.  So I gave in, I updated roon from my ipad running Roon Remote, and now nothing works.  The 3 devices that run roon do NOT work.  the Unraid server with roon container - No web interface but I guess it is workin.  And I cannot figure out how to undo the update, and Roon website i was not able to find info, not even how to contact a HUMAN.  So I sent in a help request in "how to contact a human". 

There is definitely humans here, so Howdy to y'all.  and if you got anything to add, I'm all ears (eyes?).  Friday night and roon ain't working blues.

This container doesn't have a web interface because it is just for the Roon CORE server, which can only be accessed and controlled by Roon Remote or Roon (their terminology is a bit confusing and imprecise) running on another computer or as an app on a phone or tablet, like you're doing. When you say that you updated Roon via your iPad, do you mean that you updated the Roon CORE (running on Unraid), or the Roon Remote app on your iPad? Or both? If your install is broken then the only thing to do is probably to delete your Roon Server appdata folder, reinstall this Roon Server container and create the library from scratch.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that we'll be able to help you figure out what is going wrong. Updating works fine for me using this container and my Unraid template, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has been having trouble lately. One thing I'd note is that the trouble you're having is similar to the trouble I had early in my attempts to get this container running on Unraid, before I properly separated the /app and /data directories within the Roon Server appdata folder. If you do decide to delete your instance and start from scratch, make sure to install Roon from Community Apps using the current template, and make sure to follow the template directory structure. If you've already done this and have your /app and /data directories properly set up, then the updates should be working. If they aren't, then I wonder if the problem is either related to your local network or if there is so issue with persistence on your Unraid server. I can't think what else would be the problem.

The fact that you had updating problems before (as you mentioned here) but were able to successfully update (as mentioned here and here) and previously got things working again by uninstalling and reinstalling the Roon software on a separate remote PC is confusing to me and seems to indicate that the problem is with your network, rather than the RoonServer container itself, but I'm not sure. I haven't personally seen evidence to support your concerns about Unraid's "robustness", but I also haven't run into the problem of losing my music files before (or any other files) and haven't seen anyone else have this issue with Unraid (or Roon) either. I've had a drive fail before, but Unraid's parity system was able to reconstruct the data without any issues when I replaced the drive. My gut feeling is that you may still have an issue with your container settings, or are having more drive problems. Are you using a cache drive (preferably an SSD) to store your appdata directory? Outside of that it could be your local network settings (as I mentioned above), but it's hard to know.

You can post your RoonServer container settings here if you'd like to confirm that they're correct. My best advice, other than that, is to check the SMART readings of your drive(s), use an SSD cache for your appdata directory, and check on your network traffic, making sure that your router/firewall is allowing traffic between your remote PC(s) and Roon apps and your RoonServer container/Unraid server on the ports I mentioned previously.

Best of luck getting to the root of your problems.

Edited by xthursdayx

xthurdayx, thanks for the time for your extensive reply.  I am guessing maybe its a port assignment error.  When I look at the room container port mapping it only show 3 question marks. I cannot remember if that is normal.  All other containers show a 4 digit port number.

Roon labs say they do not support undoing updates.  They also do not support unraid.

The nag to update came on my ipad running roon remote.  It asked if I should update all devices and I replied yes. I assume, and it appears to update all remotes - ipad, iphone, Win10 desktop.  But I don't know if it can, or did, update the server in the unraid container, and I don't know how to check that. 

On 11/6/2021 at 10:18 AM, xthursdayx said:

If your install is broken then the only thing to do is probably to delete your Roon Server appdata folder, reinstall this Roon Server container and create the library from scratch.

Too bad I think I loose my playlists if I do this.  So far, the roon backup seems to always be useless for how my system fails.  Very false sense of security.  This is the 5th time I loose my playlist in 2 years.

I use SSD cache for the appdata directory.  Here is my mappings:

image.png.e5d881a6e083822020943e978a3eb5d2.png

If I recall correctly, the last path, the data path, is a secondary location for some of my music.  Maybe I should delete that path map.

My regular unraid parity check just completed today and reported, in a yellow box (not red box) "836 errors".  The previous one a month ago had no errors.  So today I ran "Fix common problems" and it says "no errors".  Today I ran for all 8 disks the "SMART short self-test" and all 8 say "Completed without error".

Edited by xrqp

Over at roon labs forum, one other person, Perter L, reported the same problem as me after the last roon update.

I have narrowed it down to be a roon vs emby conflict.  I can run any and all containers, except emby, and roon works fine (both server and remotes).  Here is what unraid shows for port allocaitons:

image.png.90cf62da04e91555bb102d21559f2412.png

image.png.85c963877880a538b08ca46ecd8c174a.png

I think I had this problem before,  I fixed it by changing a path and/or path mapping in emby.  This time, I fixed it a different way - by deleting emby port 1900 allocation (DNLA UDP). So now, it seems everything is working, both emby and roon, and remotes for both.  Here is details for the port allocation I deleted:image.png.82f54c94415739629bcdfa5fda1bd7b2.png

I think this came automatically with the container by linuxserver.  It said "optiona"l, so I deleted it.  I don't know what it is for, or if I will discover other problems later.

Can I assign a port number to the roon container?

Edited by xrqp

14 hours ago, xrqp said:

When I look at the room container port mapping it only show 3 question marks. I cannot remember if that is normal.  All other containers show a 4 digit port number

14 hours ago, xrqp said:

I have narrowed it down to be a roon vs emby conflict.  I can run any and all containers, except emby, and roon works fine (both server and remotes). 

13 hours ago, xrqp said:

Can I assign a port number to the roon container?

You shouldn't see any ports (or question marks) associated with your RoonServer container, since no ports should manually be assigned to the RoonServer container and your container should be running in host mode. Based on your screenshot, you do have your container network running as Host, which is correct. As I mentioned previously,  Roon's developers have stated that Roon runs on ports 9003/UDP and 9100-9200/TCP, however they've also mentioned that Roon may randomly assign TCP ports, and other troubleshooting has indicated that Roon conflicts with Emby and Roon, due RoonServer using port 1900, despite the devs never mentioning this. The way Roon manages port allotment is very annoying, and it's frustrating that Roon's devs can't (or won't) be more clear about what ports RoonServer uses.

I looked into changing RoonServer's ports when I was considering rolling my own RoonServer image (to replace Steef's), but it is not possible to change the ports RoonServer uses. You can map your RoonServer container ports to different host ports if you run the container in bridge mode, however, there is no way to tell your various Roon endpoints and apps that your CORE server is running on a different port, so they will not be able to find your Roon CORE server if you do this. I don't know why your container shows three question marks for the port. In my experience, there should not be any ports listed at all, since the container is running in host mode. See my configuration, you'll notice no ports or local container IP listed:

930420219_ScreenShot2021-11-08at12_50_16.thumb.png.2473ba5dfcae8dc601a8e3cbeba499a8.png

The only way to make sure that your RoonServer ports do not conflict with any other running container on your UNRAID server is to make sure not to map any other containers ports to 1900, 9003, or 9100-9200. My suggestion is map your Emby DLNA port to another port, or just remove it as you already did. If you choose to stick with removing it, I'd also turn off DLNA and automatic port mapping within Emby. (In Emby, in Devices>DLNA, turn off “Enable DLNA Play To” and “Enable DLNA server”. In Advanced turn off “Enable automatic port mapping”). Roon plays well with Plex, which also uses port 1900 for UPnP discovery, so the problem seems to be with Emby rather than Roon. Apparently this is a known issue with Roon and Emby. You can read more about it here. Your safest bet for now is to keep port 1900 open, along with 9003 and 9100-9200.

14 hours ago, xrqp said:

The nag to update came on my ipad running roon remote.  It asked if I should update all devices and I replied yes. I assume, and it appears to update all remotes - ipad, iphone, Win10 desktop.  But I don't know if it can, or did, update the server in the unraid container, and I don't know how to check that. 

You should have been able to see which devices needed to be updated when this update nag appeared. I assume it probably included your Roon CORE server, and if so, you would have been able to update it via your iPad Roon Remote app. You can't check whether this was the case retroactively though.

14 hours ago, xrqp said:

If I recall correctly, the last path, the data path, is a secondary location for some of my music.  Maybe I should delete that path map.

The data path contains Roon's database, logs, and cache files (including those for RoonServer, RAATServer, and RoonGoer). Deleting this directory alone will only cause you more problems. If you want to reinstall RoonServer my suggestion is that you delete your entire appdata folder, delete your RoonServer container (and RoonServer image), and reinstall using the template in CommunityApps. 

14 hours ago, xrqp said:

My regular unraid parity check just completed today and reported, in a yellow box (not red box) "836 errors".  The previous one a month ago had no errors.  So today I ran "Fix common problems" and it says "no errors".  Today I ran for all 8 disks the "SMART short self-test" and all 8 say "Completed without error".

Fix Common Problems will not recognize or fix parity issues. Your 836 parity errors are likely the result of an unclean shutdown/power loss (or more than one), or due to impending drive failure, though this should have been apparent when you rant your SMART tests. You could try to run extended SMART tests on your drives, but you should also run another parity test to see if it completes without errors. Either way, I'm not sure if this relates to any issues you're having with RoonServer since it seems that port 1900 may the culprit. However, if you still have issues with Roon data loss it might be that one of your drives is failing and you're having data corruption, or that your server is rebooting without a clean shutdown which is causing data corruption. However, as I noted previously, don't think this is an issue with UNRAID, but more likely an issue your server itself (either hardware, or MB bios).

I hope this helps you get RoonServer running smoothly.

Wow.  Awesome support from you , xthursdayx!  Thanks very much.

Your reply is a great reference for me since my memory and knowledge of this stuff is not the greatest.  And your tips for emby i will follow.  I don't know how emby uses DLNA or what for, but so far all is working well again, and I did not loose anything from roon playlists etc.

If you want to see the 3 question marks for roon ports, go into any unraid docker container setting screen, and click the image.png.23da70edb1fe599b15b27943e90f730b.png and you will see it.  But now with your reply, I know what really is going on with the roon ports.  I also posted at roon labs forum and steef replied that he does not recommend messing with assigning ports for roon in the container settings - that when he tried it, it did not work well.

I think i went thru 3 or 4 updates with no problems, but this last one got me.  Thankfully fixable.  There was one good side effect - my Sabnzbd container downloads about 25% faster now!  My guess is it had something to do with emby and removing the DLNA port assignment.

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

The docker seems to be working well. However, some weeks ago, the docker icon (the visual of Roon in the docker overview) disappeared. Doesn't impact functionality, but I like things to be nice & tidy. Any idea why it is gone and how to get it back?

I've had this with a variety of my docker containers in Unraid. I'm not sure why, but sometimes the Dockerman interface just seems to lose track of the icon. Anyway, you can try deleting your container and reinstalling it with a new template (inputting the same settings) and see if that re-pulls the icon. That may help, but honestly, I've found sometimes they disappear and then reappear without a whole lot of rhyme or reason. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a curious FYI. Did a short experiment with some lossless files. The track is 14MB flac. VPN reports 32MB used for the song via Roon and WireGuard VPN. 

I played the same song, purportedly lossless via Apple Music ALAC format, and VPN reports using only the 5MB.

huh 🤷‍♀️ 

Edited by dkerlee