Roon docker, unRaid Roon support, "steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver"

@wcg66 No idea. I would get crashes after I used the in-program upgrade utility. It wouldn't start, just keep crashing. The logs, as you can see, aren't helpful. I nuked it and did a restore from a backup, that made it crash too. So I'd have to rebuild my library again. As far as I know, this issue hasn't been resolved. I continue to Backup, attempt upgrades, nuke, attempt Restore though. Are any of these possible sources of your crashes? Sorry I don't have better info. This container is in it's infancy.

• Thanks 1

@dkerlee I'm watching the logs on the Roon server side and there are all sorts of issues it seems (or perhaps I'm reading too much into the steady stream of info.) There's definitely some network issue which could be PiHole releated but I lost connection to Tidal and my Roon bridge also seem to hiccup a few times. This is all relatively new issues after using Roon for two years or so.

I doubt the container is the culprit but you never know. I was getting the same issues on the previous one.

@wcg66 can you add exceptions to Pihole to get it to effectively ignore all connections to/from Roon? It should keep a running list of denials in the Pihole logs. I'm running a Pihole server on an actual RaspberryPi, with this Roon docker, and haven't seen any of those issues. But then I haven't been looking for them either. Seems to just be working - other than the upgrade fails.

@dkerlee I actually restarted the container with --dns 8.8.8.8 which should override any other settings (at least that's what I understand.) I didn't see any difference. I will try removing the PiHole altogether to make sure it isn't somehow messing with the network discovery protocol used by Roon.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have success upgrading to build 667? I was prompted to upgrade and it failed to restart. Eeven uninstalling the container and reinstalling and applying a backup didn't give me a running server.

I'm running off a NUC temporarily, will try to get functional tomorrow.

Is there a process to roll back to a working version (611? was working for me for almost a month)

Edited by JDGJr

@realdiel I switched back to the docker. Seemed wasteful to run a whole VM just to house Roon. Course, even a VM is better than a whole 'nother computer just for Roon Core. The updating issue plagues me. 

But, I've really begun to lose interest in the whole thing! I spend so much time away from home, that it's pretty much impossible to enjoy Roon. Sure I've got a VPN actually working (!) but even it fails and skips tracks frequently enough that the slick Roon experience isn't slick at all. 😔 

Edited by dkerlee
6 minutes ago, dkerlee said:

@realdiel 

But, I've really begun to lose interest in the whole thing! I spend so much time away from home, that it's pretty much impossible to enjoy Roon. Sure I've got a VPN actually working (!) but even it fails and skips tracks frequently enough that the slick Roon experience isn't slick at all. 😔 

I ended up deciding not to renew Roon for that exact reason....I want to be able to use it everywhere. I really like Roon and how it blends your owned music in with Tidal music. But once I started using Plex Amp (the plex just for music) I just couldnt justify having Roon ONLY for when I'm at home. I found myself using Plex 90% of the time because I listen more away from the house. Plex Amp is free with a Plex Pass. 

That's been the perk of working from home for me - actually getting to use Roon and enjoy my music collection. 

I guess I've been lucky, I haven't had any problems with Roon running in a docker container so far, so can't really speak to any of the issues. Sorry to hear that you all are having so many problems!

@realdiel I switched back to the docker. Seemed wasteful to run a whole VM just to house Roon. Course, there is the updating issue! 

@xthursdayx not too many issues, just the one: updating. You're running this in the docker, and you're able to apply server updates (via clicking update on a client) and update server to the latest build, no issues? 

@wcg66 you were able to update the server, it comes back with all data, no fuss no muss? I'm liking those port assignments you guys were chatting about on the previous page... 

Let me think about what makes my system different... I'm also running: wireguard VPN docker, I have pihole server running on a Raspberrypi 3B on my home network doing all DNS level ad blocking., plex docker, no VMs., I do have a second router on a hardwire with another ssid in a different part of the house. And the last (anything) I can think of roon clients and end points: PS Audio Sprout, windows 10 desktop, volumio Raspberrypi plus Allo Boss DAC, my android phone. 

The update will fail weather I'm at home or away on VPN. Type of failure is I hit Update, server will do its thing, then not come back up. If I nuke the docker, reinstall (latest build), and try to restore a backup from the same day= server doesn't start. I've found the system logs to be unhelpful in troubleshooting, UT perhaps I'm looking in the wrong log? Maybe there's some data in the main unraid system log? 

Update: I've moved my Roon server over to an Intel NUC. I've had the NUC for awhile, (I got a good deal a few years ago on Ebay) but never had much use for it. I decided to give it a try and it works flawlessly so far.  However, backing up and restoring my library wasn't flawless but it's up and running. This solution only makes sense because I had the hardware and was a simple experiment versus trying to debug random Roon server crashes.

No more disconnects from Roon even with the exact same network setup.

@wcg66 so you were having random disconnect issues then, and moving to a seperate machine solved those. That's good! On the NUC, it's running Windows 10, and you've got a Roon Core software running on that, right? From what I understand, there's actually a Roon OS called ROCK. ROCk on Intel NUC thread, another NUC Gen 10 thread. Have you been through a server side upgrade with that system? Where a Roon client will pop up note "New Roon server has been downloaded and ready to install. Click here to begin upgrade process."   ??

9 minutes ago, dkerlee said:

From what I understand, there's actually a Roon OS called ROCK. ROCk on Intel NUC thread, another NUC Gen 10 thread.

@dkerlee, I'm running the ROCK software on the NUC. It's Linux based and setup very much like an appliance. The NUC I have is a few years old (5th generation mobile i5 processor with 8 GB RAM) but it seems to be ok. Even with DSP and transcoding it keeps up. I decided to use a 2 TB drive I had lying around as external storage for the library. That works well too and I can access it through Samba (it's also mounted in unRAID too.) Not a bad solution in the end. However, I had the hardware laying around so it was $0 and gave me a use for a NUC I bought :)

• Like 1

I've switched to an older NUC (Intel NUC6CAYH) with 8 GB, similar to wcg66. I bought used it for less than $150 to be able to stream multichannel audio thru Roon, and it is working perfectly - now for multichannel and also as the server. I was able to easily upgrade Roon server software from 610 to 667.

Edited by JDGJr
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, dkerlee said:

@xthursdayx not too many issues, just the one: updating. You're running this in the docker, and you're able to apply server updates (via clicking update on a client) and update server to the latest build, no issues? 

That was a good question, actually. I just realized that I hadn't had to update the CORE (running in Docker) until right now. I just backed up my library and then updated to Roon Version 7.1 (build 610) using the internal updater and ran into exactly the same problem that it seems like you guys are having. Once Roon Remote on my Mac and Roon Core (on my server) rebooted I was forced to sign again and connect to my Roon Core as if this was the first time I'd done so. I tried to restore my library only to find that after the restore was complete my Roon Core had disappeared and now I've had to reinstall the container. 

I suspect that this may be an issue related to running Roon inside a docker container so I've created an issue in steefdebruijn's repo: https://github.com/steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver/issues/8

I encourage you all to post your experiences in this issue. Particularly if you have and logs - I accidentally deleted mine before I could add it to this issue. 

Edited by xthursdayx
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, xthursdayx said:

I just backed up my library and then updated to Roon Version 7.1 (build 610) using the internal updater and ran into exactly the same problem that it seems like you guys are having. 

Welcome to the club.  Has anyone experimented with the port settings to see if that will fix the issue?

Based on the error message I saw "/app/RoonServer/start.sh: line 50: /app/RoonServer/Server/RoonServer: Permission denied". I think that the issue has to do with the permissions of the Roon start script changing after the update, rather than a port issue, but I'm not positive. 

Edited by xthursdayx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@xthursdayx Well, I'm sorry to hear you ran into the same issue we've got - but also glad I've got someone else with interest in getting this resolved! I really don't want to have another machine running 24/7 if I can help it. The unRaid box and dockers needs to cover the needs! (with the exception of piHole). I'm about ready to fail another upgrade here, so I'll document the whole process with screenshots and logs.

detailed comment on your github issue #8

split unRaid forum post of the update problems

screen shots along the process

pastebin 1

pastebin 2

Nuked, re-installed. Runs. Restore from backup, completes, upon restart, no dice. pastebin log

re-Nuke. re-install. rebuild. same-same  :(

Edited by dkerlee
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dkerlee said:

I really don't want to have another machine running 24/7 if I can help it. The unRaid box and dockers needs to cover the needs! (with the exception of piHole).

I'm right there with you.  My unRaid server is sporting an underutilized i7 and has been flawless in handling Roon including multi-channel.  The only issue is being able to revert to a previously saved update.  I think the permissions issue looks like a hot trail.

Edited by mikela
  • Like 1

This docker has a very serious issue, it takes down my array sometimes... it starts with the remote app losing the roon core, you have to reselect it, login again, and re-add your folders. Then it starts indexing, and crashes... and takes my complete unraid server with it. Seriously. No shares, no gui, no dockers, no plugins, nothing, it is dead. It kills my server. Have to hard reset (yikes) or use IPMI to reset. 

Any idea on what it can be? Some logging i can look into?

yeah i know but the server crashing while roon was rebuilding the library after losing connection to the rooncore (which happens a lot...), occured at least two times, maybe even 3 times. Not much weird stuff running on the server, sabnzbd, nextcloud, unify controller, pihole, sonarr, thats about it. 32Gb mem, quadcore xeon 1230. no vm’s running. syslog shows NOTHING. Is there a way to get roon logging somewhere persistent?

@jowi For what it's worth, Roon will take as much CPU as it's given while analyzing music. Perhaps scale it back some (set to throttled, or remove some cores)? I don't know if that's what's causing your array to lockup, but might be worth looking into. Also, I had an issue where my Xeon CPU would hard lock my system if I ever hit turbo speeds with any heavy CPU load (I could reproduce the hard lock during BOINC or fold@home). Try disabling turbo under the "Tips and Tweaks" app. Perhaps check your IPMI event logs to see if your lockup is hardware related (check for a "CPU_CATERR" event at the same time as the lockup)? If so, perhaps disabling turbo will help if you do have a Xeon 1230. I just realized the i3 in your sig doesn't offer turbo so ignore those steps above if so (just struck them through).

Roon settings for reducing CPU load during library analysis

image.thumb.png.56c6847e4a295e80c2424103420487eb.png

Where to disable turbo on your Intel CPU (I'm running an ASRock E3C246D4U & Xeon E-2288G so this may not apply to your setup).

image.thumb.png.4d76f5eed0a9c6f5fa9b18dfdc28025b.png

Edited by realdiel