Roon docker, unRaid Roon support, "steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver"

Looked for ipmi logging, but can’t find them? Do i need to run some cmdline ipmi thingy on the server to collect or start ipmi logging? I’m using supermicro’s ipmiview windows app as ipmi client.

*edit found ipmi log settings in bios, will take a look, is probably disabled.

*edit yes it was. Enabled it.

Edited by jowi

@xthursdayx and I are looking for a semi competent unRaid person to run an upgrade on their Roon server while checking a few setup variables to see if the upgrade fails or not! Both of us have already upgraded our servers to 1.7 build 667. So we need someone on build 666 (did they skip that devil number?) or earlier to do the upgrade. Otherwise we'll just have to wait for the next build to come out so we can do it ourselves. Unless there's a way to roll it back? Not that I'm aware of.

Anyone have an older version out there that would be willing to be a guinea pig for the upgrade, probably nuke their library, and take a bunch of screen shots?

thanks!

3 minutes ago, realdiel said:

I'm running 571 and know just enough about unraid to be dangerous. I have version 667 running in parallel in an Ubuntu VM although the SMB share is dropping in and out right now (Roon is stuck in a holding pattern of adding music to my library). How can I be of service?

Cool - I forgot to specify above: is that 571 running in the docker?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 5:22 PM, realdiel said:

Yes. It's running in steef's docker.

HI @realdiel, sorry to just get back to you, work has been crazy. Thanks for your help troubleshooting this!

I'll try to explain the process as clearly as possible. What I suggest you do is this:

• First back up your roonserver appdata folder (copy the folder manually) and then also backup your library internally through the Roon interface. 
  • Then stop your roonserver container. 
  • Access your server via ssh/console and create an /app and /data directory inside of the your roonserver appdata directory (/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/).
  • Make sure that these directories have the same owner:group as the rest of your roonserver appdata directory: probably nobody:users.
  • Move the following files and subdirectories from /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/RoonServer to /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/app/RoonServer/: /Appliance, /RoonMono, /Server, Version, check.sh, and start.sh.
  • Move the following files and subdirectories from /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/RoonServer to /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data/RoonServer/: /Cache, /Database, /Logs, /Settings, and /Temp.
  • Move the following files and subdirectories from /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/ to /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data/: /RAATServer, /RoonGoer,  and .rmembid.
  • Now, edit your roonserver container settings through the Unraid interface and change the /data and /app folder mappings to: /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data/ and /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/app, respectively. 
  • Now restart your container and check to make sure it is working correctly and recognizing the files at the newly mapped locations. 
  • Finally, if everything is working please try to update Roon using the internal updater in the Roon interface.

If this works, great! Please report back. If it doesn't work please also report back with the container logs and a description of what went wrong. 

Edited by xthursdayx
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, James Struble said:

I have a library of 50k tracks, but Roon is only seeing, 28,542 of the tracks. Is anyone else having this issue or does anyone know how to solve it.

Did you get through this:? https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-there-are-some-tracks-missing-from-one-of-my-albums-how-do-i-find-them#:~:text=Locating missing tracks-,Locating missing tracks,the missing tracks in Roon.&text=If you're unable to,the list of skipped tracks.

• Thanks 1

Dkerlee, I have gone through the link. I should have stated is this way: I have roon on my unraid server and on an underpowered mac mini. On the unraid server I have more than 50k files, roon only sees the first 30k of the files. To understand the issue I also installed roon on my underpowered mac mini and it sees all of the files. The mac mini is the backup for my unraid server, but it doesnt have the power to support roon.

On 11/7/2020 at 3:58 PM, xthursdayx said:

• Finally, if everything is working please try to update Roon using the internal updater in the Roon interface.

If this works, great! Please report back. If it doesn't work please also report back with the container logs and a description of what went wrong. 

Anyone had success yet?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 1:57 PM, mikela said:

Anyone had success yet?

For what it's worth, I just updated the Roon CORE running in this docker container to 1.7 (build 710) via the Roon Remote App running on my Mac without any problems. 

I've updated my template accordingly, so anyone interested in starting over with the correct mappings can delete their Roon container, delete your appdata directory, and pull the container again using the new template. If you backed up your library via Roon you should be able to restore the backup once you have your new CORE up and running.  If you'd prefer to just update your existing container to the correct mappings, see my instructions above.

CC @dkerlee

Edit: you may need to wait a bit for my template to update in Community Apps.

Edited by xthursdayx
  • Thanks 1

Followed your instructions above @xthursdayx Dude, worked like a charm! Did all that stuff, and it all went off perfectly. Updated using native interface, and it went swimmingly. Thank you very much! You made those changes to your container, so people moving forward should be good to go. Excellent! Now if Roon will sort out their other issues: remote listening, and a slew of other stuff I'm sure. I'll be good. <meh>

• Haha 1

What am i missing if i just update the roon container using docker update in unraid, and update the client from within the app, and have it rebuild my lib or use a previously saved library backup? Why do i need all he steps described above? 

Edited by jowi

@jowithe docker doesn't have a mechanism for moving old file locations to new ones. If you update it, the file paths will change, and Roon will have to start from square one. 

Which, if you've been running Roon as unraid docker up to this point, you've had to nuke and reinstall for each update anyhow!

Hopefully @xthursdayx will correct me here if necessary. 

On 11/7/2020 at 5:58 PM, xthursdayx said:

HI @realdiel, sorry to just get back to you, work has been crazy. Thanks for your help troubleshooting this!

I'll try to explain the process as clearly as possible. What I suggest you do is this:

• First back up your roonserver appdata folder (copy the folder manually) and then also backup your library internally through the Roon interface. 
  • Access your server via ssh/console and create an /app and /data directory inside of the your roonserver appdata directory (/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/).
  • Make sure that these directories have the same owner:group as the rest of your roonserver appdata directory: probably nobody:users.
  • Move the following files and subdirectories from /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/RoonServer to /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/app/RoonServer/: /Appliance, /RoonMono, /Server, Version, check.sh, and start.sh.
  • Move the following files and subdirectories from /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/RoonServer to /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data/RoonServer/: /Cache, /Database, /Logs, /Settings, and /Temp.
  • Move the following files and subdirectories from /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/ to /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data/: /RAATServer, /RoonGoer,  and .rmembid.
  • Now, edit your roonserver container settings through the Unraid interface and change the /data and /app folder mappings to: /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data/ and /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/app, respectively. 
  • Now restart your container and check to make sure it is working correctly and recognizing the files at the newly mapped locations. 

@xthursdayx It's been a crazy month for me personally and work-wise! Ready for this year to be over with. :)I was going to start with these steps, but then read the Roon docker has been updated so it works updated from an end point device now. Nice! I moved from my Ubuntu VM to the docker and updated successfully (just read I needed to delete the Roon app data folder which I did not). Now I'm restoring a backup. Runs better on the docker than it did in the Ubuntu VM via SMB. Should I remove the docker, delete the app data folder and start again? I chose to remove the image when I removed the docker.

• Like 1
On 11/8/2020 at 12:58 AM, xthursdayx said:

Got some issues with this:

Move the following files and subdirectories from /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/RoonServer to /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/app/RoonServer/: /Appliance, /RoonMono, /Server, Version, check.sh, and start.sh.

In my case, there is no folder "/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/RoonServer", just "/mnt/cache/appdata/RoonServer" ...

second:

Move the following files and subdirectories from /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/ to /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver/data/: /RAATServer, /RoonGoer,  and .rmembid.

The RAATServer and RoonGoer and .rmembid are NOT located in "/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver" but in "/mnt/cache/appdata/" itself.... 

As far as i know i never changed or was asked to change the paths of raatserver and roongoer etc...? So how come these are not in the "/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver" folder in my case? So in my appdata folder there is RAATServer, RoonGoer and RoonServer.

My container path for 'app' is /mnt/cache/appdata/... i guess that is the problem? It should have been "/mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver" ?

Should i just remove, reinstall and start over using /mnt/cache/appdata/roonserver for 'app' container path?

Edited by jowi

@jowiya, you kinda need to read between the lines there. Our paths aren't going to be exactly the same, but from what xthursdayx posted, you should be able to noodle around a bit and get the paths setup correctly.

If that ends up being impossible, then you absolutely can just nuke your install. Remove it all, delete all Roon appdata stuff, and reinstall using the xthursdayx docker. He updated the paths in the docker, so it'll all work swimmingly if you go that route. You only need touddle through those steps if you want to KEEP your current library, history, and metadata and NOT rebuild the thing, as many of us have had to do for every update anyhow. Up until this point that is 😉 

• Like 1

My NUC running Win 10 and Roon crashed so I thought I would give Roon a try on UnRAID, using your docker container (thanks!)  I stumbled across this thread later, after having set things up.   If I am reading this right, it sounds like if we use xthursdayx' updated template then we don't need to go through all the steps indicated above, so that things properly update when Roonlabs issues updates.   How do I know if the updated template was present in Community Apps, when I installed?  When I look at the roonserver entry in Community Applications, it says "Added to CA:September 19, 2020."  Does this mean that the old template is still on CA?  I'm not sure if the "added to" date indicated communicates when it originally appeared in CA, or if it communicates the latest version that was added.

Also, a couple of quick public service announcements for UnRAID and docker newbies (I very much include myself in this category!) 

1) MULTIPLE MUSIC DIRECTORIES:  I have my music files in separate directories.  The template by default provides a single entry for your music directory.  I went ahead and entered one of my music directories, and then later I tried to add another directory using the main Roon interface (i.e., in the settings, storage area of Roon Remote).  Needless to say, it didn't work after numerous attempts.  After searching a bit I learned that docker containers can't really see your host file system, unless you map (mount?) particular directories.  This is done through the aforementioned template, by selecting "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device," and then you just follow the formatting example established for the first music directory you set up.

2) ACCESSING THE ROON INTERFACE:  This was noted elsewhere in this thread, but I thought I would enter it here as well.  It is not necessary to add a port to access the Roon interface.  Just install the container, and then with the Roon Remote software on your phone or laptop do a search for your Roon Core.  It will find it, you can then access Roon settings etc. from your phone/laptop,  and then you will be in music paradise.

Thanks again for building this container!

Dave  

• Like 2

I'd love it if this docker could run snappier. Anyone finding slow loading when you search for something? My relevant settings are...:

/mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img: 42.9 GB, 2020-12-23 11:51, Cache

user share "system" cache disk set to Prefer.

/app, and /data in the docker settings are both subdirectories on appdata/, which is set to Prefer cache, all files and folders are on the cache drive.

I'll post that diagnostics here also.

Cache drive is btrfs, CachePCIe_SSD_20021425600230 - 256 GB (nvme0n1), 74GB used

CPU is AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-core 3700MHz

80GB DDR4

Any ideas to speed this dog up? thanks!

rubble-diagnostics-20201223-1158.zip

Edited by dkerlee

@dkerlee I have the Roon docker (steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver with xthursdayx's adjustments) on my cache drive as well and my music on the array. I experience no slow downs when searching for bands for instance (pretty snappy on my end). Sorry you're having performance issues with yours. Is streaming impacted with the slowdown or just searching?