Roon docker, unRaid Roon support, "steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver"

Good %timeofday%, 

Anyone know how to make roon edit imported playlists? Is it a permission that needs to be added to the docker or is this just how it works? Managing them with Notepad++ or reimporting each time a song is added is an unfortunate PitA that for this price point should not exist.

Thanks,
~K

On 12/23/2020 at 3:28 PM, dkerlee said:

@realdiel Just searching. There aren't any hiccups on the streaming end. Although, it does take a minute (10-20 seconds) to load the first track when I hit Play on an album.

I haven't dealt with this either, so unfortunately I can't speak to it. Seems that your server has more than enough resources to run Roon quickly, so I wonder if this is a local networking issue?

On 12/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, Keek Uras said:

Good %timeofday%, 

Anyone know how to make roon edit imported playlists? Is it a permission that needs to be added to the docker or is this just how it works? Managing them with Notepad++ or reimporting each time a song is added is an unfortunate PitA that for this price point should not exist.

Thanks,
~K

I figured it out. 2 parts (for my issue):

1) The playlist has to be in the same folders as the music itself. For instance, if you're monitoring a folder called /music, the playlist files have to be in the root of that folder or you can create a folder within this location to store the playlists.

2) Once Roon picks them up, you have to edit each one and choose "Save local copy". Once you do that, you can now modify the playlist as expected. You can delete the original playlist from Roon but please note, this will delete the actual file from your music directory. If not, you'll have duplicate playlists but the one you could not edit will have the shared icon and the local copy will not. 

Bonus note: If anyone is trying to migrate music playlists from Plex to Roon - Tautulli is your friend. It exports the playlists to m3u8 files (Under Music (or whatever your library is named) | Playlists | Name of your playlist | Export metadata at bottom of page. They have to be modified to work by modifying the path to match what is mapped in Roon. For example, the exported playlist had /data/Music/ from my Plex mapping and had to be changed to /music for the Roon mapping. This can easily be done in Notepad++ Hope this helps.

~K

Edited by Keek Uras
Spelling errors
  • Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

I have been away from this thread for about a year.  Have you worked it out, how to run Roon in a docker in Unraid, and be able to do Roon updates, and it still works?

About a year ago, I gave up, and put the Roon server on my Windows 10 machine, and I start my Windows 10 machine every time I want to run Roon (ike once a day), and it has to work hard for 4 minutes before I can use Roon, and I don't know if it continues to work hard after.

If you, or anyone has not figured this out yet, I was going to try a Windows 10 VM on Unraid machine, then install Roon on the VM.  Thanks for all your work.

55 minutes ago, xrqp said:

I have been away from this thread for about a year.  Have you worked it out, how to run Roon in a docker in Unraid, and be able to do Roon updates, and it still works?

About a year ago, I gave up, and put the Roon server on my Windows 10 machine, and I start my Windows 10 machine every time I want to run Roon (ike once a day), and it has to work hard for 4 minutes before I can use Roon, and I don't know if it continues to work hard after.

If you, or anyone has not figured this out yet, I was going to try a Windows 10 VM on Unraid machine, then install Roon on the VM.  Thanks for all your work.

I've been running Roon in an UNRAID docker for a little over a month now and it works great even after an update is pushed to the server via a Roon end point device. I actually saw a decrease in the amount of time taken to open Roon and queue up a song after moving back to a docker after running it in an Ubuntu VM initially so updates wouldn't break the server (still had issues with the Roon server losing my SMB music shares at random under Ubuntu). Just when I was about to move to NFS for the music shares, xthursdayx announced the updated Roon docker so I gave it go and man does it run great!  :) 

Edited by realdiel
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, xrqp said:

As @realdielmentioned, everything should be working fine now, including updating. You can either start a new Roon container from scratch using my template (which is updated and working correctly), or you can migrate an existing Roon container using the instructions I posted here: 

@xthursdayx and @mikela on it! Thanks for all your hard work. Got an email a big Roon update was coming next month. Good test for all our systems 🤗

Done. See what you think. I should be able to give other users MOD access to these things. I think that'd be real helpful. <shrug>

Interested to see what 1.8 brings for us, and, of course, how the update goes!

Edited by dkerlee
  • Thanks 1

So, to install Roon Server as an Unraid docker container, I only need to read the top of page 1, sections:

================ To find the roon docker ================

================ Install setup Roon docker ================ 

and optionally section:

================ Get it working on yer phone ================

And I can ignore after

================ DEPRECIATED ================

?

If correct, great! So short and sweet.  

Is xthursdayx the same person as steefdebruijn?

@steve1977 The docker runs the "roon core" on your unRaid box so you don't need another computer running 24/7.

Yes, must be used with a paid subscription, they are $120/year.

No, you don't need Windows software to use it. You can use it with endpoints, then control it via something else, like your phone or tablet or whatever.

Probably can't run two instances with one subscription. The folks there are pretty connected with their subscriptions.

Sounds like you don't know a lot about it: check out youtube, try their free trial. Mess around with it for a while and see if it fits your lifestyle. For me, it almost doesn't because I spend so much time away from home. The streaming, when you're not at home, is pretty non-existent. And even when you do get it working, it's shaky at best.

1 hour ago, xrqp said:

If anybody installs this Roon container, then later does the next Roon update (update to ver 1.8 planned for Feb. 9, 2021) , please report back here if it worked.

I did the previous update through this Roon contianer and didn't have any issues (with the most recent settings I posted above), so I assume that this update to 1.8 should work as well. 

Edited by xthursdayx
  • Like 2