Roon docker, unRaid Roon support, "steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver"

7 hours ago, Kendel said:

Config photo

Yep, as @mikela suggestes, your problem stems from the fact that you have the /app and /data directories mounted in the same host directory. We previously identified this as the causes of some major problems associated with updating and I then updated my template. You should be able to fix this problem fairly easily by either:

A) Choosing one of the options I describe here, if you want to try to keep your existing library. More work, but you get to keep your existing library data. 

or B) if you'd prefer to start from scratch (which will be easier, but will require you to delete your appdata folder and rebuild your library), you should change up your container configuration to match something like this (the backup and music directory location are up to you of course):

1125319966_ScreenShot2021-02-26at6_58_52PM.thumb.png.2e4305df0f2205577be22fe67a6920e4.png

You won't necessarily need to do to this manually - if you remove your RoonServer container and delete your RoonServer appdata folder, then search for Roon in Community Apps and my most recent template should be available, which has the correct directory mappings.

Edited by xthursdayx
7 hours ago, xthursdayx said:

Yep, as @mikela suggestes, your problem stems from the fact that you have the /app and /data directories mounted in the same host directory. We previously identified this as the causes of some major problems associated with updating and I then updated my template. You should be able to fix this problem fairly easily by either:

A) Choosing one of the options I describe here, if you want to try to keep your existing library. More work, but you get to keep your existing library data. 

or B) if you'd prefer to start from scratch (which will be easier, but will require you to delete your appdata folder and rebuild your library), you should change up your container configuration to match something like this (the backup and music directory location are up to you of course):

1125319966_ScreenShot2021-02-26at6_58_52PM.thumb.png.2e4305df0f2205577be22fe67a6920e4.png

You won't necessarily need to do to this manually - if you remove your RoonServer container and delete your RoonServer appdata folder, then search for Roon in Community Apps and my most recent template should be available, which has the correct directory mappings.

Thanks All!!

I'm trying option B since I've already lost my earlier libraries.

Roon is running now building my "new" library.  Hopefully this will work whenever the next Roon update comes along....

Thanks again for your help!

Kendel

Somehow, the docker doesn't run "smooth" for me.

It seems to download within the docker rather than updating the docker.

I got a lot of spinning balls.

I see the following in the log: "compressed frame too big: 11298 vs. 11280" (this and similar ones dozens of times in the log).

After a few reboots or restarts, it works and is fine. But as said, doesn't feel fully smooth. Any thoughts?

On 3/7/2021 at 8:44 AM, steve1977 said:

Somehow, the docker doesn't run "smooth" for me.

It seems to download within the docker rather than updating the docker.

I got a lot of spinning balls.

I see the following in the log: "compressed frame too big: 11298 vs. 11280" (this and similar ones dozens of times in the log).

After a few reboots or restarts, it works and is fine. But as said, doesn't feel fully smooth. Any thoughts?

Sorry @steve1977, I haven't see any error logs like that and I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "download with the docker rather than updating the docker" or having "a lot of spinning balls". I'd like to help figure out what the problem is, but could you clarify what you mean exactly? Logs also always help.

I assume you're using the default docker template from my repo (available via Community Apps)? If not, make sure to try that so we can try to eliminate variables while troubleshooting. 

Do you have a lot of ALAC/Apple Lossless files in your library? When searching to see what might be causing your error, the only thing that seems to through a similar error is ALACEncoder.cpp. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 2:16 AM, Kendel said:

Thanks All!!

I'm trying option B since I've already lost my earlier libraries.

Roon is running now building my "new" library.  Hopefully this will work whenever the next Roon update comes along....

Thanks again for your help!

Kendel

Just as a followup.....   Roon just had the latest patch to 1.8(build 778).  The update went great and no issues.  All of my library was still there.  

Awesome!!  Thanks for the help all!

Kendel

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

HOW TO KNOW IF AN UPDATE OCCURS

In Roon Remote go to Settings/About (which is near the bottom of settings list) there is a section for Remote and another for Core.  Both have a gear icon (settings) you need to click, then change to "ask before installing any updates".  So I did that today and will report back if core updates go well or not in the future.

I am not sure if I had a successful core update yet. The remote update went well today from build 77x to 783, but it is the core update that is the concern.  But so far it is all working for about a month.  I realized today, in order for me to know when an update occurs, I have to do this setting.

MULTIPLE FILE LOCATIONS FOR MUSIC

With this container, can you add multiple file locations for music? 

Do you have to add them in both 1) the container mappings and 2) in the app mappings?

In this paragraph, I am showing the mappings as they appear in Windows file viewer, where Z: is my Unraid Tower.

I am currently mapping both app and container using a relatively direct share "Z:\music\".  

I want to add another location, less direct, in a different share called "data" like this "Z:\data\media\music".

Can I do that, and if I can, do I need to add it to both the app and the container mappings?

Thanks.

Edited by xrqp
3 hours ago, xrqp said:

MULTIPLE FILE LOCATIONS FOR MUSIC

With this container, can you add multiple file locations for music? 

Do you have to add them in both 1) the container mappings and 2) in the app mappings?

In this paragraph, I am showing the mappings as they appear in Windows file viewer, where Z: is my Unraid Tower.

I am currently mapping both app and container using a relatively direct share "Z:\music\".  

I want to add another location, less direct, in a different share called "data" like this "Z:\data\media\music".

Can I do that, and if I can, do I need to add it to both the app and the container mappings?

Thanks.

For mapping to multiple music locations start reading at this post.

I tried my first "restore" from a saved backup.  It worked.  I also tried to "restore" from a previous backup that was made prior to separating apps and app data as described earlier in this thread.  I could not get that one to work.  Looks like all back ups going forward should work.  Really excited to use Roon as originally intended.

Thanks to all who assisted in getting this docker workable!!!

The solution at that post is 

On 2/17/2021 at 10:28 AM, dkerlee said:

Mapping two locations to /music is probably the issues. Just map to another folder. For instance:

1. music 2/ > /music

2. music (Blu-ray)/ > /music2

Then, in Roon, simply point it at BOTH /music and /music2

So it does have to be mapped at both the container and the app, with an extra requirement that "music" is not used used for mapping both locations.  In the above example, could it work if it was changed to:

1. music 2/ > /music

2. music (Blu-ray)/ > /music (Blu-ray)

?

On 4/7/2021 at 11:13 PM, mikela said:

I tried my first "restore" from a saved backup.  It worked.  I also tried to "restore" from a previous backup that was made prior to separating apps and app data as described earlier in this thread.  I could not get that one to work.  Looks like all back ups going forward should work.  Really excited to use Roon as originally intended.

Thanks to all who assisted in getting this docker workable!!!

Glad to hear that the restore function is working for you as expected! 

• Like 1

Hello, I'm trying to move from ronch/roon-server version of this docker to xthursdayx's version discussed here to fix the updating issues. I moved over all of the directories like discussed on page 5. I also ran the newperms command on the base directory of the roonserver app data directory.

After installing the new xthursdayx docker and setting all the directories, I can't get it to run. Here's what the log for the docker says:

/run.sh: line 8: /app/RoonServer/start.sh: Permission denied

Any ideas on how to fix this? I assume I need to change the file/folder permissions somehow but I'm not sure what to change. Before running the newperms command on the old base directory I did notice the top directory originally had the owner:group set root:root. Then the application directory was set to nobody:users, Appliance/RoonMono/Server/VERSION/check.sh/start.sh set to guest:Unknowngroup, library to the nobody:users, RAATServer, RoonGoer, RoonServer set to root:root. Not sure what to make of all the different file/directory permissions in my original setup. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by highgear

Using this container, I was able to do an update on my Unraid core last night with good results.  From 1.8 785 to 1.8 790.  I am very pleased and relieved it can do this.  Thanks to steef, and dkerlee, and xthursdayx ! 

My Unraid machine only uses 35 watts overall, and now I don't need to run my other desktop to play music.  My other audio equipment are energy hogs, even on standby.  I had to setup a web based power switch to easily disconnect them from power when I am not listening. 

@highgear I ran into a similar problem at one point when switching over from an existing install to my new one with the updated mappings, however, once I got the volume mappings correct in my template everything worked fine. I can say that all of my mapped volume permissions are nobody:users, though I'm not sure about the permissions inside the container. Honestly, starting from scratch with the new mappings is probably the simplest thing to do, though I know you may want to avoid that if you have a lot of user-added information. You can try to back up and and then install from my template and then restore, but @mikela indicated that that didn't work for them here: 

@xthursdayxThanks for the info. I did a little more tinkering just now and got it working using my old files! The steps that worked for me are I deleted the roonserver folder from appdata. Then I reinstalled from Community Apps using the appropriate directory mapping. This gave me a fresh install and I verified it was working. Then I stopped the docker and copied over all the files/folders as described by you on page 5 into the appropriate locations in the roonserver folder. Prior to copying from my backup I deleted the fresh install files/folders. I then restarted the docker and it worked! Everything appears to be intact and I'm initiating a new back up through Roon.

I think the issue was me running the newperms command last time. Thanks for your work on this docker, looking forward to no update issues in the future!

A few post above this I reported my Roon core update went well.  One possible minor glitch is that it may require a restart, or a power cycle, especially if you also update a remote later.  Here is why I say that:

The Unraid core update was working good for me for a few days, then came an update on my remote ipad.  Then it worked for an hour.  Then it stopped working. I tried power cycle on my Auralic G2 (a music computer between Unraid and DAC), which usually fixes these issues, and I tried other things for 40 minutes, with no success.  Then when I did power cycle on Unraid, I was able to get things to work again.  

Prior to this I never needed to restart Roon docker or power cycle the Unraid NAS to fix problems.  But next time it won't take me 40 minutes before I try that.  Has anyone else had this happen?

Edited by xrqp
6 hours ago, xrqp said:

A few post above this I reported my Roon core update went well.  One possible minor glitch is that it may require a restart, or a power cycle, especially if you also update a remote later.  Here is why I say that:

The Unraid core update was working good for me for a few days, then came an update on my remote ipad.  Then it worked for an hour.  Then it stopped working. I tried power cycle on my Auralic G2 (a music computer between Unraid and DAC), which usually fixes these issues, and I tried other things for 40 minutes, with no success.  Then when I did power cycle on Unraid, I was able to get things to work again.  

Prior to this I never needed to restart Roon docker or power cycle the Unraid NAS to fix problems.  But next time it won't take me 40 minutes before I try that.  Has anyone else had this happen?

I’ve never had this happened before, but I also only ever update via my MacBook. Please keep an eye on it and report back if it happens again and post any logs you have. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been running the ROON Docker on unraid for a couple of months and it has been working well.

But today the core seems to have been corrupted of something. The core was starting this afternoon but I could not connect to it, but it wont even start anymore. If I look in the logs all that seems to be there is 

"Initialising

Corrupt Build

Initialising

Corrupt Buiild"

Which does not look promising. 

Any suggestions as to my options?

over on the roon community they seem to be indicating that this may be a corrupted update

"That usually means that Roon Server didn’t update properly… Can you try reinstalling (over the current install is fine) Roon Server from our downloads page"

However, how can I try the reinstall when it is in a docker?

First, make sure you have a backup of your Roon data. You do this via the App. Those details are sorta outside this Docker Thread - but relevant to what you're trying to do.

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/backup

I'd also take a screen shot of your docker setup details. That will also avoid re-doing some work.

Then: remove the docker, and nuke the appdata/ folder. That will send you to ground zero.

Re-download the docker

restore backup

Bob's your uncle.

Couple important notes: Don't ROOT while drunk. Be SUPER CAREFUL with the command

rm -Rf foldername/<enter>

This will indiscriminately trash everything. You can make A LOT of work for yourself in a short amount of time if you nerf this command.

you sure.png

rm-f.png

Edited by dkerlee