Roon docker, unRaid Roon support, "steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver"

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, garethsnaim said:

can someone tell me what explicitly I have to put into the template and how to do it? I have roon running and tried to add a path to my music share but for the life of me I cannot find that path in the roon interface.

Any help would be appriciated

Take a look at the first post of this thread. In the picture following "Now install the Docker via Apps. Here's the setup:"

You can see the settings for one of the entries. To get that entry option to pop-up, hit the "+ Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" button. Then make the entries match the examples given in the first post.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I am trying to restore my Roon backup.  They have asked me to delete the .restore_old directory from /data/RoonServer_Old/.restore_old which is in my unraid "appdata" share.  However, it keeps saying I have to have permission to do that even though I have given read/write access and can open the folder in file explorer and change file names.  Any thoughts on what's causing this?

Edited by mikela
  • 4 weeks later...

[FIXED]Not sure what the issues was. Went back to Docker version of Roon Server, and it updated fine. On Docker v1.7 build 555. 6/6/20

Just got a note this evening to update some software. I did the update, and my Roon client software couldn't find the server again. I reconnected, had to re-login with Roon credentials, and it seems to have lost all my metadata. Thankfully, I had a previous backup I could restore. Just be warned. I believe this is Roon Server version 1.7 build 555

The backup was from 1.7 build 553, and it doesn't work. I'll have to nuke it and rebuild all metadata. Yay.

I also had to remove RAATServer/, RoonGoer/, and RoonServer from the appdata directory to get it to come back. The build the Docker pulls is 1.7 build 537. I'm going to leave it at that older version for a while before attempting an upgrade. Maybe see if anyone else has any luck before I try and hack it up.

Updated to version 1.7 build 555, aaaaand lost library

APb8jCnm.png

sycsaPCm.png

dIkQPNLm.png

And restore breaks docker.

has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 0
Running
Not running
Initializing
Started
Not responding

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.IOException: Directory /data/RoonServer/.restore_old/Appliance is not empty
at System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path) [0x0006f] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0
at System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) [0x00051] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0
at System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) [0x00024] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0
at System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path, System.Boolean recursive) [0x00009] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0
at Sooloos.Client.ApplicationCommon.Init2 (System.String[] argv, System.Boolean supportupdates, System.String lockname) [0x001dc] in <71f2fca491de4b978badec69f164d711>:0
at Sooloos.Application.Main (System.String[] argv) [0x00220] in <07df41d5902a4aa2abb521c06bca9560>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.IOException: Directory /data/RoonServer/.restore_old/Appliance is not empty
at System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path) [0x0006f] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0
at System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) [0x00051] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0
at System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) [0x00024] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0
at System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path, System.Boolean recursive) [0x00009] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0
at Sooloos.Client.ApplicationCommon.Init2 (System.String[] argv, System.Boolean supportupdates, System.String lockname) [0x001dc] in <71f2fca491de4b978badec69f164d711>:0
at Sooloos.Application.Main (System.String[] argv) [0x00220] in <07df41d5902a4aa2abb521c06bca9560>:0
/app/RoonServer/start.sh: line 50: /app/RoonServer/Server/RoonServer: Permission denied
/app/RoonServer/start.sh: line 34: kill: (16767) - No such process
/app/RoonServer/start.sh: line 50: /app/RoonServer/Server/RoonServer: Permission denied
/app/RoonServer/start.sh: line 34: kill: (11) - No such process

kVkJJvNm.png

removed image

root@rubble:/mnt/user/appdata# rm -Rf RAATServer/ RoonGoer/ RoonServer/

Re-install via APPS > Previous Apps

Doing a restore from 1.7 build 537 to version 1.7 build 537

And that doesn't work either. Welp... might be time to re-think this approach.

Went through an Ubuntu VM 20.04 LTS, got that going. Did install via the Roonlabs instructions, that has a script that pulls the download from http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2

and now that that's on there, it's version 1.7 build 537. Which is not build 555

Did the update and it took. Made sure the vdisk is on the m.2 ssd drive and I think it's running faster and smoother in the VM vs the docker. I'll stick with this for now!

Edited by dkerlee

[FIXED] Not sure what the issue was with the update, but I rehashed the install and update and it worked fine. I detailed that over at Roon Forums here.

@xrqp Yes, you're right. At the moment, I'm running an Ubuntu VM on unRaid. On that VM I'm running the Roon Core. It's a virtual computer, inside a computer. You can run whatever you want on it, provided it doesn't use up all the resources allocated to the VM and make it run slow as molasses. That's finer points of VM, which I know nothing about!

@mikela This thread, the Original Post, is about the docker. During an update, I had some issues I outlined above, and moved an Ubuntu VM instead of the Docker container. And I'll update it the thread when I get a chance to start messing with the steefdebruijn docker again! It was probably operator error :)  Reply from steefdebruijn over at Roonlabs Forums

Edited by dkerlee
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of building a media server and researching Unraid. I was hoping it would be possible to run Roon on it. Once its setup and running have you guys found it to be solid and stable? With Roon being on Unraid does it have all it's normal functions and features? Should it connect good to Chromecast?

I would be running the core on the Unraid server, Chromecast Audio to a stereo, and controlled by both iOS and Android devices. Is that how it would work?

Thanks!

@SPOautos Yes. You would probably choose unRaid because of it being unRaid, google other options and see what you think. I have been able to run the Roon Core as a docker (this thread) on my unRaid server successfully. It works great. While I appreciate your end game there: Roon to a Chromecast controlling via android and iPhone, and you should certainly keep your eye on the prize! There are many pieces that have to fall into place for this string of technology to work well together!

Has anyone been able to restore backups with roon server on unraid?  If so, would you mind sharing your process.  Whenever I select restore back up, it loads the back up but then looses connection to the roon server.  I then end up having to rename my roonserver to "roonserver_old" and start over again without the restored backup.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by mikela
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings! Is the best approach here to run Roon in a linux VM as opposed to a docker image in unraid, or am I ok as-is? I have mine running in unraid as a docker (installed "steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver" under community apps for unraid - thx Steef!), but am being prompted to update via the client end on my phone/tablet. I decline the update prompt each time as I'm reading here it can break Roon server-side and render my current backups useless. Someone in my household will likely inadvertently click update and break my Roon server install so I want to prepare for that. I see that an update hasn't been rolled out for this docker in over a year so don't know if this will be maintained (wish I had the skills myself to help with this), or if I should pivot to something else long term. I'm willing to start over with a Room streaming platform where I likely won't lose our play history, playlists, etc. if something goes sideways and I have to restore Roon backups. I've been looking at doing a linux VM for Roon, maybe a NUC dedicated for it (roll my own with ROCK), or just bite the bullet and buy a dedicated streamer to reside in my A/V rack (Aurender, Lumin, Innous, etc.). Any suggestions from experience?

A couple of things to note here. 

I've ran Roon in a VM and as a docker. For me, the VM created some of its own problems. It worked, but I felt like it was an excessive resource hog, just to run Roon server. At the moment I'm on the Steef docker. 

I use Roon client on several different devices. The client on my windows 10 machine recently (9/6/20) prompted me to update my server. I hit okay, and lost everything. I tried to restore from backup, and that crashed the whole docker. Even though I have a bunch of backups, it looks like if I want to latest version, I'll have to nuke it and rebuild. I've had this upgrading issue consistently, but the docker author hasn't been able to replicate my issues. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82714-roon-docker-unraid-roon-support-steefdebruijndocker-roonserver/?do=findComment&comment=860931

I haven't spent the time on the latest version, but I'll update... Something, when I get some update time to throw at it. 

Lastly, and I only learned this myself a few months ago, is that a docker being updated or not doesn't mean you won't get the latest version of that package. I imagine the docker package being a series of steps to grab, install (or grab and update) the necessary package. It doesn't come with the software, it only tells the thing to go to A Place, grab latest version and install it. So, so long as the docker is working, there isn't any reason to update it. That's my understanding anyhow. 

• Thanks 1

That's interesting, @dkerlee. Thanks for the insight on both fronts (the docker updating and your experience with a VM), and your intent to update it at some point. Much appreciated!

I'm pretty content with the Roon server's functionality at the moment so there's no reason I would want to update it right now. My main concern is the prompt on the client side to update which could potentially break it. If there was a way to disable that completely, that would address my concern.

Edited by realdiel

@realdiel nuked the install.

Removed /mnt/user/appdata/RoonGoer/ and /mnt/user/appdata/RoonServer.

Re-installed, it's build 610 now. Attempting to do a restore from the previous build version. Aaaaand nope: it's nerfed. Going back and rebuilding from scratch, again.

I wish these updates didn't break it -> nuke it and start from scratch. Perhaps I have some settings wrong somewhere. ???

Edited by dkerlee

@dkerlee That's a bummer. Thanks for being a guinea pig for this. It might make sense to pull Roon off of my unraid server and DIY it on some dedicated hardware that they support then. Was hoping to doing it this way on unraid, but it doesn't appear to be officially supported. I'll ping their support and see if there're any plans to remove that update prompt on the client side.

@realdiel

Why not go the VM route? I stuck an Ubuntu VM on there before, ran a linux version of Roon, worked pretty good as I recall. At least it would keep your electricity bill lower, and cut down on boxes.

Maybe you can screenshot that up and guinea pig that process :) 

I'll start a new thread about updating. Or find the one I already posted somewhere. With a memory like mine, these posts are mostly notes-to-myself when I need to redo stuff.

Edited by dkerlee