10TB WD Red Pre-Clear?

I understand that it is not 100% necessery to Pre-Clear brand new drives but it does come recommended to find early life mortality. But I am wondering does this also apply to the 10TB WD RED NAS drives? If so roughly how long would that take? 

I am thinking I should do it, but i've also never in my life had a WD drive fail on me but then also things can happen when you least expect it. 

Fair call. I don't have a Parity disk setup yet, I am going to get another 10TB in a couple of weeks, then soon after get another 10TB for my Parity disk. 

I decided i'll just do the Pre-Clear I thought being new to unRaid it'll be good to do things to familiar myself with the unRaid system and how things work. It's chugging along at around 206MB/s right now. AT least it'll give me a rough idea on what to expect if I do another pre-clear in future. 

WD Reds are designed for continuous use. I too have had a WD Red 8Tb be RMAd on first use. The SMART stats showed terrible issues.

Decide how important it is for you to have the array available because if you just throw the untested drive in, write to it and then discover it was bad, you may have array downtime while the issue is fixed, especially if you did not have Parity yet.

I would agree with the preclear test times of about 20 hours as my 8Tb Reds take 17h30 for a parity check.

Edited by DanielCoffey
WD Reds are designed for continuous use. I too have had a WD Red 8Tb be RMAd on first use. The SMART stats showed terrible issues.

Decide how important it is for you to have the array available because if you just throw the untested drive in, write to it and then discover it was bad, you may have array downtime while the issue is fixed, especially if you did not have Parity yet.

I would agree with the preclear test times of about 20 hours as my 8Tb Reds take 17h30 for a parity check.

Agreed Daniel. This is why I decided to take the pre-clearing route.

Once I get another two 10TB drives (I’ll pre-clear those too) I’m guessing I can add another 10TB for data, then add a 10TB after to build parity. Will this be okay?

My suggestion... go with the biggest drive you can afford for your parity.  If you can afford a 12TB or 14TB than do it, it will allow you to do upgrade your data disks in the future without having to replace with a bigger parity drive.

Thats what I did.  Prime day had a solid deal on 12TB reds, but not great.  So I got 1 and now I can upgrade by 10 TBs in the future when the price/GB ratio is a little more palatable. 

Good luck!

• 2 years later...

Took me a little over 52 hours to complete 1 cycle preclear with pre-read and post-read with a 10TB WD Red disk 

############################################################################################################################
#                                                                                                                          #
#                                        unRAID Server Preclear of disk                                                    #
#                                       Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                                        #
#                                                                                                                          #
#   Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                                                  [17:40:36 @ 157 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing the disk:                                                       [17:17:01 @ 160 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 3 of 5 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #
#   Step 4 of 5 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                        SUCCESS    #
#   Step 5 of 5 - Post-Read verification:                                                 [17:53:48 @ 155 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
############################################################################################################################
#                              Cycle elapsed time: 52:29:17 | Total elapsed time: 52:29:18                                 #

#                                        S.M.A.R.T. Status (device type: default)                                          #
#   ATTRIBUTE                INITIAL  CYCLE 1  STATUS                                                                      #
#   Reallocated_Sector_Ct    0        0        -                                                                           #
#   Power_On_Hours           0        53       Up 53                                                                       #
#   Temperature_Celsius      43       30       Down 13                                                                     #
#   Reallocated_Event_Count  0        0        -                                                                           #
#   Current_Pending_Sector   0        0        -                                                                           #
#   Offline_Uncorrectable    0        0        -                                                                           #
#   UDMA_CRC_Error_Count     0        0        -                                                                           #
#   SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                               #

--> ATTENTION: Please take a look into the SMART report above for drive health issues.

--> RESULT: Preclear Finished Successfully!.

Edited by H3ice