Solved - The stub received bad data.

Solved

I believe this was caused by a share issue on unraid as I copied some files from a share across all drives to a single disk which created a share for each folder I transferred. I moved the files within windows 7.

I ran the "Docker Safe New Permissions Tool" which has solved this issue for some members (read thread) but did not help me. I could access all my files through web GUI, my iPad through file browser and if I opened a file through the web gui a file was created in my windows .temp folder. Plex could also access all my files on my windows pc's 7 & 10.

After some more reading here I began to think that it had something to do with the way I moved the files.

correct-way-to-move-files-between-shares/

I had another disk with nothing on so I opened a telnet session and moved all the folders from Disk 16 to Disk 17

mv /mnt/disk#/ /mnt/disk#

This cleared all the additional shares created during the original transfer and soved the "Stub" issue.

Version 6.5.3 2018-06-12

Hi

I have a problem that I am not sure how to resolve and would appreciate it if someone could offer some advice.

After copying some folders containing music from my music share to a single drive I am now receiving the error message on my windows 7 pc that i do not have the necessary permissions to access anything from my unraid machine and The stub received bad data. I cannot switch off unraid it counts up to 300 on the shutdown page and then fails to shut down.

I have searched here and found a few posts on this but I don't understand it. For example.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/35115-solved-mystery-user-shares-amp-stub-received-bad-data/

I can access all my folders through the internet on my pc but not through "my computer" on my pc.

I should have created a top level folder to place all the moved folders in but forgot, so unraid created an additional 10 shares as there is 10 folders with all the music in. I thought I would just have to simply moves all the folders into a top folder and the shares would disappear?

Thank you

Edited by Userpaul
Solved
4 minutes ago, Userpaul said:

that i do not have the necessary permissions

The linked thread is telling you to run the New Permissions Tool on from the Tools Menu.  (But, if you have a "Docker Safe New Permissions Tool" there, you should use that one instead)

6 minutes ago, Userpaul said:

I thought I would just have to simply moves all the folders into a top folder and the shares would disappear?

They will.  But, if you don't stop / start the array, then Windows may not get the updated info.

Can anyone suggest the next option for me please?

I have run the New Permissions Tool on from the Tools Menu

First just on the disc and shares that file transfers took place, no change

Then on all discs and all shares, no change

I have upgraded to the latest unraid version, still no change.

I can access all my files through the web server but still have the stub issue on windows.

Thank you

I am not sure how you copied the original folders that gave you multiple User Shares?   Did you copy them directly to a ‘diskX’ type share by-passing the User Share level.

It might be worth posting your system diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) so we can see if there is something else going on.

Are you comfortable with using the command line if you are given some commands to run at that level to help diagnose your issue and get you to a state where things start working as expected?

Thank you for your reply itimpi

I copied 10 folders that contained music all from the artist Depeche Mode that was in a share called "Music" this share is across all my HDD's. I used Teracopy to transfer those folders to a single HDD (Disk 16) as I wanted to sort out duplicate files and perform a general tidy. So I highlighted the folders and selected copy.

When the copy was complete unraid had created a share for each folder as I forgot to create a high level folder. When I tried to access my files with windows 7 I received the "stub" error message.

I have attached a diagnostic file.

I should be okay with command lines, I assume I can run them from my terminal attached to the server.

Tower login:

tower-diagnostics-20190820-1823.zip

• Userpaul changed the title to Solved - The stub received bad data.